Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Caecilius)
    Well, bit of a moot question, seeing as I'm bound to say yes, given the result, but yeah. I mean, had I received an offer, I wouldn't have said it was ****, but whatevs.
    That's ridiculous! Where's your 2nd choice?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Caecilius)
    Well, bit of a moot question, seeing as I'm bound to say yes, given the result, but yeah. I mean, had I received an offer, I wouldn't have said it was ****, but whatevs.
    Talk us through it, from the beginning...

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iP

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CD315)
    That's ridiculous! Where's your 2nd choice?
    Sitting on an ESPS offer from UCL, waiting to hear from LSE, Yale and Princeton

(Original post by PatrickB)
    Talk us through it, from the beginning...

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iP
    Cannae do that right now - actually at work, lmao, and due to go to the Commons soon.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tons of Sobs)
    Yes, CD is right.

They will still look at your AS results, and rank you based off all module scores achieved over the 2 years. Although saying that it's always impressive if you do better at A2 than AS. I think they always take more notice of most recent results, as well as always looking for an upwards trajectory (likewise if you do considerably worse in your second year of sixth form, even if you overall UMS i still passable, I think it shows the opposite trajectory, which might not bode well for further study).

But 3A* will still put you in the top cut of applicants based on UMS
    (Original post by CD315)
    UMS is always important. I'm assuming my UMS got me an offer for maths this year considering my interviews didn't go terribly well. I think they're even more important for economics than maths, too.

Oh right thank you.

ReputationRep:
    x
    (Original post by PhysicsLeopard)
    x
    I just firmed Cambridge and I'm wondering whether to send off exam certificates now or not... have either of you done that yet (I guess you both have unconditionals)? I kind of just want it all out of the way!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SixteenHundred)
    I just firmed Cambridge and I'm wondering whether to send off exam certificates now or not... have either of you done that yet (I guess you both have unconditionals)? I kind of just want it all out of the way!
    My offer letter stipulates a deadline by which I should send evidence of my qualifications.

ReputationRep:
    I asked newnham because I'm going to be away for a few months and I need to know now what documents to give to my parents to send, but they said I could just do it on results day! The offer letter said I shouldn't send documents until they were asked for so it's kinda tempting to do it now but I won't

ReputationRep:
    I asked newnham because I'm going to be away for a few months and I need to know now what documents to give to my parents to send, but they said I could just do it on results day! The offer letter said I shouldn't send documents until they were asked for so it's kinda tempting to do it now but I won't
    Ah, okay thanks! I don't have a deadline but mine says ASAP so I'll probably email Girton when they're done with the pool.

ReputationRep:
    Nope haven't done that yet. Offer hasn't come through on UCAS yet either. I don't think there's a rush, but it would be nice to get it out the way!

ReputationRep:
    Nope haven't done that yet. Offer hasn't come through on UCAS yet either. I don't think there's a rush, but it would be nice to get it out the way!
    mine just came through so I withdrew from everything else and firmed instantly, so excited!! see you there in october, fellow gap year physnatsci

ReputationRep:
    I applied to Oxford for 2013 entry, but got rejected earlier this week. I'm an English applicant. I was thinking about reapplying next year, but to Cambridge. Does anyone know if the process is wildly different? I was put of Cambridge last year by the fact that something like the average applicant has 90% UMS average, and the average successful applicant has 95% UMS average! My average was 88%, although I do have AS UMS of 96% in English and 91% in French (with 80% in History and 71% in Classics). I thought that I could prove my worth better in the aptitude test, but obviously this may not have been the case (I receive my exam result and interview feedback next week so I'll know more then).

If (and it's a big if) I get 3 A*s for A2 (History, English and French) and an A* in EPQ, will this put me in good stead for getting in (as long as I'm well prepared for the interview/test)? I don't think my whole A level average will be 95%, but at a push this year I think I could get it up to 93/94%.

I'll still have my AS UMS (which is really good for English and French, but not so for History in which I have a low A and a high B in the two exams; and not for Classics, which I have a mid B and a high C in the two exams).

I'm basically asking because I wouldn't want to have an interview at Cambridge (they interview something like 80% right?) and then get rejected on the basis that my UMS (particularly AS) weren't impressive enough (in which case I'll reapply to Oxford and work on exam technique for the ELAT).

My last question is what to do in the gap year. I've got contacts at Starbucks to get a job there, and I'm completely addicted to the gym. However, is this going to be looked down upon? Should I be doing something more 'English related' or impressive e.g. charity work? The thing is that quality Oxbridge English applicants would be reading and going to the theatre etc, and I will definitely do this, but is it enough for a gap year?

Oxbridge isn't the be-all-and-end-all for me, although I think that the teaching style would really suit me and the courses at both unis have their pros (e.g. Old English at Oxford, prat crit at Cambridge). If I was rejected as a post-Alevel applicant, I wouldn't be devestated and would apply to other universities such as UCL and Bristol anyway.

Thanks!x

ReputationRep:
    When reapplying, are we required to submit the grades we achieve for qualifications other than GCSEs and A levels, such as EPQ or STEP?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by The-Illusionist)
    When reapplying, are we required to submit the grades we achieve for qualifications other than GCSEs and A levels, such as EPQ or STEP?
    Afaik, yes.

ReputationRep:
    mine just came through so I withdrew from everything else and firmed instantly, so excited!! see you there in october, fellow gap year physnatsci
    Woo congratulations! Yes haha see you in lectures :cool:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ArtisticFlair)
    I applied to Oxford for 2013 entry, but got rejected earlier this week. I'm an English applicant. I was thinking about reapplying next year, but to Cambridge. Does anyone know if the process is wildly different? I was put of Cambridge last year by the fact that something like the average applicant has 90% UMS average, and the average successful applicant has 95% UMS average! My average was 88%, although I do have AS UMS of 96% in English and 91% in French (with 80% in History and 71% in Classics). I thought that I could prove my worth better in the aptitude test, but obviously this may not have been the case (I receive my exam result and interview feedback next week so I'll know more then).

If (and it's a big if) I get 3 A*s for A2 (History, English and French) and an A* in EPQ, will this put me in good stead for getting in (as long as I'm well prepared for the interview/test)? I don't think my whole A level average will be 95%, but at a push this year I think I could get it up to 93/94%.

I'll still have my AS UMS (which is really good for English and French, but not so for History in which I have a low A and a high B in the two exams; and not for Classics, which I have a mid B and a high C in the two exams).

I'm basically asking because I wouldn't want to have an interview at Cambridge (they interview something like 80% right?) and then get rejected on the basis that my UMS (particularly AS) weren't impressive enough (in which case I'll reapply to Oxford and work on exam technique for the ELAT).
    I think if you are applying to Cambridge, the higher the UMS the better, but as long as you are 90+, you stand a decent chance. People do get in with 90-93 and there are many in the high 90s who don't. Also, the auto-pooling criteria for post-A Level applicants is 3A* (while for Year 13 applicants it's AS average of 93% in top 3) so that should give you some idea of what grades are expected.

I would say the interview is quite important and if you can impress there, then that could make the biggest difference. I applied this year for Economics with strong stats but my interview was not brilliant and I've been put in the pool. I will say that the Cambridge admissions process can be more stressful due to their pooling system, so if you do end up in the pool, you can have a long, stressful and indefinite wait ahead of you. It is also very important which college you choose for Cambridge, because the main comparison of applicants, I believe, takes place after the first round of direct offers and rejections are decided and the winter pool is opened.

ReputationRep:
    Hi! I'm applying to Cambridge post a level to read history of art this year. I have 3A* (history of art, history art) and an A (english lit) at a2 with UMS average of 94.5% at a2 across my three highest a2 what do you think my chances are? I applied to Oxford last year got an interview and didn't get a place - I have 3A and a B at AS, but there are extenuating circumstances explaining that B (I was severely ill with glandular fever and missed 4 months of the AS year) will the B be a hinderance with my application? How will they compare me against those who have 98%s etc at AS given a2 are harder? What in general are the chances for history of art with my grades?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Corinne-Ava)
    Hi! I'm applying to Cambridge post a level to read history of art this year. I have 3A* (history of art, history art) and an A (english lit) at a2 with UMS average of 94.5% at a2 across my three highest a2 what do you think my chances are? I applied to Oxford last year got an interview and didn't get a place - I have 3A and a B at AS, but there are extenuating circumstances explaining that B (I was severely ill with glandular fever and missed 4 months of the AS year) will the B be a hinderance with my application? How will they compare me against those who have 98%s etc at AS given a2 are harder? What in general are the chances for history of art with my grades?
    I'd have said you'd be in with a very good chance.

Well guaranteed interview, so depends how that goes.

ReputationRep:
    Hi! Does somebody know any who got into Cambridge through clearing system? I know one case, so it is rare, I know.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gumileva)
    Hi! Does somebody know any who got into Cambridge through clearing system? I know one case, so it is rare, I know.
    As far as I'm aware they rarely get a student through clearing. They have summer pool for that purpose and even that is very small.
    And they have very thorough and long selection process to give offers to the applicants, I highly doubt if they pick up someone who's hadn't gone through this process and give an offer.
    Is this one example you know had applied to Cambridge and got to the interview stage or even got an offer but for some reason he/she declined?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Gumileva)
    Oxbridge don't participate in clearing for anything.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.