Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Room4student)
    I've just read people's scores and i'm quite amused. I worked hard this year ( As) and only achieved (which i was still happy about but getting A* overall would be amazing);

C1: 89
    C2: 85
    S1: 77

You guys scoring 90%+ consistently throughout As and A2, how do you prepare for your exams, i'm thinking it's just natural intelligence but looking forward to your replies
    I've done my AS Maths and Further Maths this year, and I think the thing that sets 90%+ students apart from 80% is to try to get inside the head of the exam board.

When looking at a question, just consider what Edexcel/AQA/Wjec might have done to the question to make it that little bit harder (e.g plenty of negative numbers/difficult factorisations etc) and make sure you focus on getting those little things correct. For example there was a question on this years FP1 that cost me 8 UMS just because I multiplied two negative numbers incorrectly! I hadn't focused on the 'tricky part' of the question before I dived in and I paid the price!

Other than that, just make sure you do all of the past papers and express all your answers clearly for the examiner!

Note, my scores: C1 (99) C2 (95) M1 (100) FP1 (92) D1 (92) S1 (94)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alexmufc1995)
    I've done my AS Maths and Further Maths this year, and I think the thing that sets 90%+ students apart from 80% is to try to get inside the head of the exam board.

When looking at a question, just consider what Edexcel/AQA/Wjec might have done to the question to make it that little bit harder (e.g plenty of negative numbers/difficult factorisations etc) and make sure you focus on getting those little things correct. For example there was a question on this years FP1 that cost me 8 UMS just because I multiplied two negative numbers incorrectly! I hadn't focused on the 'tricky part' of the question before I dived in and I paid the price!

Other than that, just make sure you do all of the past papers and express all your answers clearly for the examiner!

Note, my scores: C1 (99) C2 (95) M1 (100) FP1 (92) D1 (92) S1 (94)
    (Original post by RuSSeLLMaGuiRe)
    An A* student is just an A grade student who doesn't make little mistakes in their exams. You'll probably find you don't know that much less subject knowledge than an A* student, but an A* student will learn the exam off by heart and then learn to recognize where they make most of their mistakes and how to optimize their time in an exam so they have as much time to check as possible.

Learn the mark schemes and discover what the minimum you have to do to ensure full marks on question is. Don't waffle, as waffling = wasted time and lost marks.

Thanks a lot for your advice it helps

ReputationRep:
    c1 93
    c2 98
    c3 100
    c4 96
    m1 96
    s2 94

doing maths at uni.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cooldudeman)
    c1 93
    c2 98
    c3 100
    c4 96
    m1 96
    s2 94

doing maths at uni.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Which one?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MathsNerd1)
    Which one?
    I remember you at those threads before exams. I'm going uni of bham. I feel like crying because I deserve a better one! my parents can't afford me moving out atm. wbu?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cooldudeman)
    I remember you at those threads before exams. I'm going uni of bham. I feel like crying because I deserve a better one! my parents can't afford me moving out atm. wbu?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Birmingham is still a decent one though, couldn't you have a gap year and really next year? I'm going to studying at Nottingham in September

ReputationRep:
    C1 - 98
    c2 - 92
    c3 - 96
    c4 - 94
    m1 - 79
    s1 - 90

ReputationRep:
    Maths
    C1 91
    C2 82
    C3 100
    C4 90
    M1 87
    M2 84

Further Maths
    FP1 86
    FP2 80
    S1 81
    S2 90
    D1 77
    D2 73

A little inconsistant haha. Will be doing Maths at Nottingham in September .
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bexlovescandy)
    Maths
    C1 91
    C2 82
    C3 100
    C4 90
    M1 87
    M2 84

Further Maths
    FP1 86
    FP2 80
    S1 81
    S2 90
    D1 77
    D2 73

A little inconsistant haha. Will be doing Maths at Nottingham in September .
    Woo! Another Nottingham Maths student

ReputationRep:
    Woo! Another Nottingham Maths student

Yay
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Yay
    Will you be doing the 3 or 4 year course? Also are you doing anything during the holidays to keep up with your Maths?

ReputationRep:
    Will you be doing the 3 or 4 year course? Also are you doing anything during the holidays to keep up with your Maths?
    Just 3 years . I haven't yet started anything but i'm just probably going to recap A-level and take a look at STEP now I know I'm definitely going haha. How about you?
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Just 3 years . I haven't yet started anything but i'm just probably going to recap A-level and take a look at STEP now I know I'm definitely going haha. How about you?
    Very nice and okay then, do you want me to recommend some of the more accessible STEP questions? Its not an easy exam to do which I found out this June I'm just learning new concepts really like Beta and Gamma functions, Laplace transforms as so on, I've also decided to learn the content for FP3 and M3 as well as completing the Bridging the gap to university Mathematics book that was recommended by Nottingham I'm also working full time at my job so I'm not quite sure where I'm finding all the time to do this

ReputationRep:
    Very nice and okay then, do you want me to recommend some of the more accessible STEP questions? Its not an easy exam to do which I found out this June I'm just learning new concepts really like Beta and Gamma functions, Laplace transforms as so on, I've also decided to learn the content for FP3 and M3 as well as completing the Bridging the gap to university Mathematics book that was recommended by Nottingham I'm also working full time at my job so I'm not quite sure where I'm finding all the time to do this
    If you don't mind I've heard STEP is horrible! Ah, FP3. I did that as an extra module. And Mechanics is definitely not my favourite part of Maths haha! I've got that book too, are you finding it okay? And I really don't know how you're managing that - I'm only working weekends!
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    If you don't mind I've heard STEP is horrible! Ah, FP3. I did that as an extra module. And Mechanics is definitely not my favourite part of Maths haha! I've got that book too, are you finding it okay? And I really don't know how you're managing that - I'm only working weekends!
    Do you have access to the papers? If so then I'll just suggest a few of the easier questions to see how you get on but then you could PM me if you need any help as I don't want to derail this thread anymore really And STEP can be horrible but if you work hard enough then it'll all pay off, I was pretty close to getting the grade I needed but clearly made a few stupid mistakes And very nice, I haven't done either of them yet but they both seem pretty interesting so can't wait to start them And I'm finding it pretty interesting, I'm onto the mapping of matrices part which I find pretty cool And I'm not too sure really but I seem to be managing so far

ReputationRep:
    Just finished college, not a Mathematics applicant, but what the hell, here's my Edexcel Maths and AS Further Maths UMS scores:

C1 - 86 C2 - 91 C3 - 87 C4 - 78
    S1 - 83 S2 - 96
    M1 - 90 D1 - 88
    FP1 - 75

Edexcel put the Statistics modules together for my Maths grade, so I got 521/600 for A-Level Maths.
    And I got 253/300 for AS Further Maths.

ReputationRep:
    Maths (575/600) A*
    C1 - 93
    C2 - 90
    C3 - 98
    C4 - 100
    M1 - 98
    S1 - 96

Further Maths (552/600) A*
    FP1 - 98
    FP2 - 96
    M2 - 70
    D1 - 95
    D2 - 93
    S2 - 100

I've been accepted to study maths at UCL, but I'm pretty worried about being good enough. I guess that's normal though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by leo99756)
    Maths (575/600) A*
    C1 - 93
    C2 - 90
    C3 - 98
    C4 - 100
    M1 - 98
    S1 - 96

Further Maths (552/600) A*
    FP1 - 98
    FP2 - 96
    M2 - 70
    D1 - 95
    D2 - 93
    S2 - 100

I've been accepted to study maths at UCL, but I'm pretty worried about being good enough. I guess that's normal though.
    You need to do STEP for UCL now don't you? If you managed that then you've proved that you should be capable enough

ReputationRep:
    C1 - 97
    C2 - 82
    C3 - 77
    C4 - 79
    D1 - 80
    S1 - 75

Total 490/600 Grade A

Doing Maths at The University of Edinburgh in September

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pterodactyl)
    You need to do STEP for UCL now don't you? If you managed that then you've proved that you should be capable enough
    You get two offers from UCL: one with STEP, and one without. I decided to do STEP just in case I messed up my A-levels, although I didn't focus on them as much as I should have and got 3, 3, 3 :rolleyes:. I thought that I was better focusing on Further Maths as I did it in one year rather than two.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.