Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SyedaK)
    When does everyone start year 13? Is anyone starting sept 5? sooo not fair. Last year 13 started on 7th or 8th
    In Spain we start sept 9th

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pandora.)
    Depends, I'll have to see what the situation is at enrolment/when we go back. Not looking like
    It, but I won't give up hope.

What exactly is STEP? :holmes:
    Ah, I see. Good luck with that then, and keep hope :yy:

Entrance exam for Cambridge/ Warwick (and other places) maths which offer holders need to take, it's ridiculously hard.

(Original post by The Shanus)
    The MATs more A level knowledge based than STEP right?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    They're both A level knowledge based but MAT's only C1/2. The examination style for both exams are different, as well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L'Evil Fish)
    Sixth Term Entrance Paper

It is a maths paper that Cambridge (and other places) use for maths entrance... It's a killer tbf

But Felix can handle it, so if that's the sole reason, stay at Cambridge:!

Although I've seen maths beasts defeated by it (Llewellyn) not defeated per se, missed offer.
    Oooh... so it's like the Sauron of Maths papers? :eek:

Sounds scary :afraid:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blueray2)
    Yeah I only had a few from year 13, mainly 1 really good one But hey new people = new friends
    I had... 3.
    I know but many new year 12 people will be the people from year 11 and I don't feel I like many of them after the induction day. But maybe that will change when I get to know them better.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SyedaK)
    When does everyone start year 13? Is anyone starting sept 5? sooo not fair. Last year 13 started on 7th or 8th

Can't remember the date, but its the first Wednesday or Thursday of September :eek: should I be excited or not, because I'm way too excited - I made this mistake last year as well :lol:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Felix Felicis)
    15th of August brah

It's not even that I may think Oxford's a more suited maths course, stupid as it may sound, I'm scared of STEP. Like, after seeing some of the people on the thread who worked so hard and still didn't make their offers... I mean, the thought of spending months of preparation for the interview and (if an offer comes) spending months for STEP prep, all that time and effort invested, the thought that all that could be decimated within a moment because of one bad day terrifies me. I dunno :dontknow: We'll see, I guess. That Pokémon society does sound tempting though. :teeth:

Lol, thanks :lol: You'd say that though, wouldn't you you little English applicant Are you applying then?

As above^
    I see tough times. :teeth:

Perfectly reasonable fear tbh, I'm horrified by the thought of sitting STEP but I might as well give it a go, it'll be the first of many ways I'll bridge away from the A-level. Brah don't say that, as Endless has said you've done STEP I and achieved a good grade for that so don't doubt your ability now that you've just begun . Isn't the MAT the same, well obviously much less monthly preparation + the choice to firm something else but it is down to one day like you said. Yeah we'll see indeed. Indeed it does :teeth:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by usycool1)
    University choices! :afraid:

If you're thinking about applying to university and want your choices in the list below, quote this post and I'll add them in for you!

Information you may wish to add:
    • What course you're going to apply for.
    • Your AS subjects (and grades if you like).
    • Your A2 subjects (and predicted/actual grades if you want to).
    • What universities you're thinking of applying to and their decisions (when it comes to that).

Applying for physics
    AS subjects: maths, physics, economics, chemistry
    A2 subjects: maths, physics, economics
    Thinking of applying to Durham, Birmingham, Nottingham, Sheffield and Liverpool.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by purplemind)
    I had... 3.
    I know but many new year 12 people will be the people from year 11 and I don't feel I like many of them after the induction day. But maybe that will change when I get to know them better.
    We play sport with them etc and meet them in the cafeteria

ReputationRep:
    Oooh... so it's like the Sauron of Maths papers? :eek:

Sounds scary :afraid:
    It's like...

You have to think of ways to approach a question,and them find ways of using your knowledge to do them...

I can't do it for ****

ReputationRep:
    It's like...

You have to think of ways to approach a question,and them find ways of using your knowledge to do them...

I can't do it for ****
    :eek3:

So glad I'm not a maths applicant!

Speaking of maths, time to get started on summer work.

ReputationRep:
    We play sport with them etc and meet them in the cafeteria
    Tbh, I didn't spend to much time with year 11s. I preffered staying with people from my year or year 13. They seemed to loud and immature sometimes.
    But now, there will be 2 new year 12 Polish girls in my school so I am happy about that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Endless Blue)
    Nice, those are some excellent results! Shame about the couple of 'blah' blip modules, are you resitting any of those? Great results overall though :party2: Looking forward to getting ready for STEP?
    Possibly FP2, I don't really care much for S3.

Yeah, I think I'm quite confident with STEP I atm, will be starting STEP II/III prep soon

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alindp)
    In Spain we start sept 9th
    I envy your location!!. Is it just your school or very other school there?

(Original post by mynameisntbobk)
    Can't remember the date, but its the first Wednesday or Thursday of September :eek: should I be excited or not, because I'm way too excited - I made this mistake last year as well :lol:
    That's probably on the 4th or 5th. The first week back, I feel excited too and then after the second week, I can't even remember why I was excited. It always happens

ReputationRep:
    Same, can't wait to meet the new lower sixth though
    I have a feeling there'll be a bit of rivalry at first between year 12 and 13, since we'll all be big headed and think we rule the place or something.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Endless Blue)
    I guess that's true. I've seen at least one user who missed their offer that I'm absolutely stunned about beyond belief. It seems like a very fair concern. However, you've already got a 1 in STEP I in year 12 so you've demonstrated already that with preparation you have the capacity to succeed at STEP. Plus, I know it's probably not nearly as difficult, but you could equally have a bad day and underperform on the MAT too? I'd go for the one you like most tbh, you've got great GCSEs and your UMS is crazy - would probably suit Cambridge more.
    (Original post by Robbie242)
    I see tough times. :teeth:

Perfectly reasonable fear tbh, I'm horrified by the thought of sitting STEP but I might as well give it a go, it'll be the first of many ways I'll bridge away from the A-level. Brah don't say that, as Endless has said you've done STEP I and achieved a good grade for that so don't doubt your ability now that you've just begun . Isn't the MAT the same, well obviously much less monthly preparation + the choice to firm something else but it is down to one day like you said. Yeah we'll see indeed. Indeed it does :teeth:
    Hmmm, that's true I guess. I mean (without sounding too arrogant) that with months of STEP prep, I could do the papers successfully at the comfort of my desk but **** gets serious when you're sitting there in the exam hall and exam pressure messes with your mind. I mean, I was doing better in past papers leading up to the exam and then on the day, the pressure that if I get anything below a 1 might harm my application got to me and (imo) I under-performed, I made some of the daftest mistakes on the paper. :doh: I can't even imagine how I'd feel with a uni place hanging on the line. That's true that I could screw up on the MAT as well I guess and if I did, course I'd be disappointed if I didn't get called for an interview but I'd get over it. For Cambridge, the thought of prepping for the interview (and if I get an offer) investing so much time and effort into STEP all to be left disappointed on results day, that would hurt a lot more. I dunno, maybe I'm over thinking things, maybe I should just take things one step () at a time.

ReputationRep:
    :eek3:

So glad I'm not a maths applicant!

Speaking of maths, time to get started on summer work.
    Same! Although I might take STEP I for fun next year :lol:

:sigh: I thought you were dropping maths?:holmes:

ReputationRep:
    I love a good pun.

ReputationRep:
    Same! Although I might take STEP I for fun next year :lol:

:sigh: I thought you were dropping maths?:holmes:
    We have very different ideas of fun! :lol:

Nope, why did you think that?

ReputationRep:
    I love a good pun.
    Maybe I'm over-thinking things and should take them one step at a time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Felix Felicis)
    Hmmm, that's true I guess. I mean (without sounding too arrogant) that with months of STEP prep, I could do the papers successfully at the comfort of my desk but **** gets serious when you're sitting there in the exam hall and exam pressure messes with your mind. I mean, I was doing better in past papers leading up to the exam and then on the day, the pressure that if I get anything below a 1 might harm my application got to me and (imo) I under-performed, I made some of the daftest mistakes on the paper. :doh: I can't even imagine how I'd feel with a uni place hanging on the line. That's true that I could screw up on the MAT as well I guess and if I did, course I'd be disappointed if I didn't get called for an interview but I'd get over it. For Cambridge, the thought of prepping for the interview (and if I get an offer) investing so much time and effort into STEP all to be left disappointed on results day, that would hurt a lot more. I dunno, maybe I'm over thinking things, maybe I should just take things one step () at a time.
    Very true indeed. Have a think about it. What do you think of Oxford + the maths course in general vs Cambridge?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.