Brits should start learning some Arabic Watch

This discussion is closed.
moment of truth
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by de_monies)
This. It's annoying when people bash the speakers of a language, purely because it's another language. I'd imagine if Hebrew was bashed in the same way, there would be an uproar (and rightfully so)
It makes no sense to do this, but people shall do as they wish.
ForgetMe
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
La is no in Arabic So someone saying lalalalalalalala is saying nononononono :P
Same as someone saying "Aha" in English, is saying another form of "yes" in Lithuanian :teehee:

Also, "la" in Lithuanian could mean "hello" as a shortening of a word "labas, laba" :teehee:
The_Duck
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Nah. Not going into oil.
pjm600
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Fair enough I guess. Though not all Arab countries are "socially backwards"
I'm not sure how you're counter my argument unless you don't agree that the death penalty is an indicator of a 'socially backwards' country?
ANON15
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Greenlaner)
No thanks. I have absolutely zero intention of ever going anywhere near Saudi Arabia.
Err, Saudi isn't the only Arabic speaking country
ANON15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by pjm600)
I'm not sure how you're counter my argument unless you don't agree that the death penalty is an indicator of a 'socially backwards' country?
So the United States is a 'socially backward' country too?
elohssa
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by thunder_chunky)
I think French is just as interesting. It's spoken in a fair few countries and it can be used it to woo the opposite sex.
Arabic can be used to woo women as well.
Plantagenet Crown
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
No. I cant see arabic being useful.
Inzamam99
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I'll add, if you idiots want to completely avoid a language associated with terrorist culture then somehow try and forget English.

It wasn't the Arabs who killed millions in Vietnam, nor the Arabs who supported Pinochet, funded the Contras, gave support to the Khmer Rouge and ACTUALLY WERE GREATLY RESPONSIBLE FOR PROMOTING WAHHABISM AND ISLAMIC EXTREMIST GROUPS IN THE 1980s THROUGH OPERATION CYCLONE.

These groups only became prominent after the USA started funding them in the 1980s and even invited their leaders to the White House, they did not just blossom out of thin air. It's probably a positive thing that they're biting you in the arse, A lesson not to meddle again.

Ronald Reagan when speaking about the Mujhahideen (who later spawned into Al Qaeda, Taliban, the Haqanni network and became "terrorists" when it suited the US): "These men are the moral equivalents of our founding fathers".

Shame, shame.

Name:  osama_bin_laden_the_independent_dec1993_antisoviet_warrior.jpg
Views: 76
Size:  215.0 KB
slimmer
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Lol this. It was almost embarassing that when I did learn Arabic, I knew more Arabic than say urdu. That's not my "mother tongue" but pretty close

And I still barely know any punjabi
this. most people learn arabic simply due to the compulsion on them to read their korans in arabic its not their native, or even a useful language otherwise. some epople even get this fixation thrust onto them for arabic before their own mother tongue. brainless
The_Internet
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by ForgetMe)
Same as someone saying "Aha" in English, is saying another form of "yes" in Lithuanian :teehee:

Also, "la" in Lithuanian could mean "hello" as a shortening of a word "labas, laba" :teehee:
That's actually pretty cool

(Original post by pjm600)
I didn't counter your argument. Im just saying that not all Arab countries are "socially backwards"

(Original post by slimmer)
this. most people learn arabic simply due to the compulsion on them to read their korans in arabic its not their native, or even a useful language otherwise. some epople even get this fixation thrust onto them for arabic before their own mother tongue. brainless
Nope. Our learning was pretty voluntaty. The local mosque asked us "Would you guys like to learn Arabic" and we were like yeah
username927016
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Plantagenet Crown)
No. I cant see arabic being useful.
To understand The Quran better?
Plantagenet Crown
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Multitalented me)
To understand The Quran better?
:lol:
username927016
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Plantagenet Crown)
:lol:
Why the face? It's certainly better to know it in Arabic & make a decision on it's credibility than English.
Plantagenet Crown
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Multitalented me)
Why the face? It's certainly better to know it in Arabic & make a decision on it's credibility than English.
I dont think there are any brits who are going to learn arabic purely to be able to understand the Quran...
pjm600
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by ANON15)
So the United States is a 'socially backward' country too?
As I have already said, perhaps implicitly, yes. As is Japan, China etc.

Though I'll reserve the right to ascribe a special, 'very socially backwards' judgement to countries who still use public executions.
slimmer
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago

Nope. Our learning was pretty voluntaty. The local mosque asked us "Would you guys like to learn Arabic" and we were like yeah
why didnt they ask you to learn madarin, or spanish? they compelled you to learn arabic, because it serves their purpose to have more arabic speakers. think about it
The_Internet
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by slimmer)
why didnt they ask you to learn madarin, or spanish? they compelled you to learn arabic, because it serves their purpose to have more arabic speakers. think about it
This was a MOSQUE
slimmer
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Inzamam99)
I'll add, if you idiots want to completely avoid a language associated with terrorist culture then somehow try and forget English.

It wasn't the Arabs who killed millions in Vietnam, nor the Arabs who supported Pinochet, funded the Contras, gave support to the Khmer Rouge
you a little off radar of the topic, but in reply- it was the arabs that did kill off millions in africa, middle east, west asia, balkan europe etc in spreading of islam by their wars of imperialism. they also supported the naziis in wwii.
slimmer
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
This was a MOSQUE
exactly - so their motivation is only to get you to read their koran and also learn arabic. its not a good example you chose.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Business Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (221)
22.97%
The paper was reasonable (430)
44.7%
Not feeling great about that exam... (174)
18.09%
It was TERRIBLE (137)
14.24%

Watched Threads