Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

What is a decent salary? watch

Announcements

(Original post by parry_93)
    Pretty sure dropping a D is so much smaller than mistaking, A for pair......

No no, you are wrong you really dont if you aimlessly spend 100K on a few dresses. Do YOU earn millions a year to do so?

You're even worse than another person on here, you'd make good friends and could quaff together and talk about you're high social status that mummy and daddy pay for but get up **** creek when you dont have them anymore!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Jealous much?

(Original post by PatrickB)
    You may have to start frequenting pubs in the City. Bag a banker. Look for a shiny watch and no wedding ring.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iP
    I don't need to 'bag' anyone you fool if anything I have to watch out for people like that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hilrho)
    Jealous much?
    No. Not really.

At least my dad doesnt have to work and took retirement 21 years early.....

We have no mortage, no rent. I went to a private school.

Posted from TSR Mobile

(Original post by parry_93)
    No. Not really.

At least my dad doesnt have to work and took retirement 21 years early.....

We have no mortage, no rent. I went to a private school.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Good for you. My dad's his own boss he can do whatever he likes. Sorry I should've used was, he's dead but that's how he was like. Stop assuming things about me.

ReputationRep:
    What i earn is for myself. Guys should pay and deal with rent bills etc. Wouldn't really want to live in a rented house anyway.id want to live i earn my own home

ReputationRep:
    IMO, 30K - 45K for decent living.

ReputationRep:
    I am not ashamed to say that I never wanted to earn as much as any of you here, my goal is £13,000, but I know this is barely enough to sustain me in this country, I was always interested in relocating to a developing country.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by johnsamuels)
    I know the word "decent" can be subjective. But for a single ADULT male to live comfortably, this means, tv, internet computer, mobile, decent housing, a small car, a night out once in a while, etc.. What would be a decent salary.
    I am guessing 21k a year?
    Ooo..........ouch no.
    To have a car and live well; 28k, I **** you not. A car is seriously expensive, and this is assuming you house/flat share.
    If you want your own apartment and car, easy 32k+

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maths and cheesecake)
    I am not ashamed to say that I never wanted to earn as much as any of you here, my goal is £13,000, but I know this is barely enough to sustain me in this country, I was always interested in relocating to a developing country.
    13k is tough if you don't own a house.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jimbo1234)
    Ooo..........ouch no.
    To have a car and live well; 28k, I **** you not. A car is seriously expensive, and this is assuming you house/flat share.
    If you want your own apartment and car, easy 32k+
    70p per mile, cheap second hand car? I can probably get by on 22k.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by River85)
    70p per mile, cheap second hand car? I can probably get by on 22k.
    Erm, insurance, tax, MOTO, repairs on said second hand car, etc?
    Cars cost a hell of a lot of money, and if you are not using it a lot eg low fuel bill, then you probably can't justify owning one.

ReputationRep:
    Excluding repairs, but other running and standing costs, I think 70p a mile isn't too far off.

The RAC came out with an average cost of under 7k a year a couple of years ago, and this was highlighted as being pessimistic/exaggerated by some commentators.

I can live on 15k quite comfortably (and still have money left over to save, though perhaps I wouldn't if I had to pay transport costs). Cars can be expensive, yes, but please tell me why I need an additional 10k in order to run one?

ReputationRep:
    Excluding repairs, but other running and standing costs, I think 70p a mile isn't too far off.

The RAC came out with an average cost of under 7k a year a couple of years ago, and this was highlighted as being pessimistic/exaggerated by some commentators.

I can live on 15k quite comfortably (and still have money left over to save, though perhaps I wouldn't if I had to pay transport costs). Cars can be expensive, yes, but please tell me why I need an additional 10k in order to run one?
    Hm, where are you living as I can not see how you can live off 15k and have a car, I know people on 26k who are hard pushed to do that.
    Though I think a lot comes down to rent - how much are you paying for rent, and then hobbies, social life etc?
    Say; £500pcm rent,180pcm bills, 150 food, anywhere between 40-200 on social life, 20-100 on hobbies.
    After tax, NI, pension, and student loan, 15k leaves you very short on that - let alone the extra few thousand need for a car (say 3.5k).

ReputationRep:
    Hm, where are you living as I can not see how you can live off 15k and have a car, I
    I never said I had a car. I don't drive and have little to no transport costs at all (car or public transport).

I have an income of about 16k (I don't work FT, preferring to have substantial free time for leisure, voluntary work and possibly a Masters) and I get by comfortably enough and still able to save.

I don't buy much in the way of luxuries, but I still have the sort of life the OP is describing.

So even if I were to get a car (which I won't as can't drive), and we take the RAC's figure of 6 - 7k, this would mean I'd need to earn about 25k, maybe still 2 or so k less.

Though I think a lot comes down to rent - how much are you paying for rent, and then hobbies, social life etc?

Say; £500pcm rent,180pcm bills, 150 food, anywhere between 40-200 on social life, 20-100 on hobbies.
    £215 a month in rent for a shared house in a relatively affuent area of Newcastle, albeit a basic house. I realise this is cheap. Not as cheap as my first house in Durham though (£171 a month :cool: )

No idea about bills as I still haven't needed to pay in any this new house, but going on by previous two houses £80 a month was sufficient (less if sharing).

£200 food and toiletries (perhaps more)

£100 clothes

£100 to £200 on social life and hobbies (I could easily spend more, but many things I do cost little if any money, and I'm trying to save as much money as I can for travelling and other things).

£100 for emergencies.

Even this leaves me with some left over cash. So why do I need to earn 10k more in order to run a car?

After tax, NI, pension, and student loan, 15k leaves you very short on that - let alone the extra few thousand need for a car (say 3.5k).
    Effectively no tax or NI on my income (as my earnings aren't actually 16k). Even if my earnings were 16k, tax and NI this would eat up my "spare" money but little to nothing more. No student loan repayments as it's below the threshold.

ReputationRep:
    Decent salary in my opinion (talking London) would be £75k+

ReputationRep:
    I never said I had a car. I don't drive and have little to no transport costs at all (car or public transport).

I have an income of about 16k (I don't work FT, preferring to have substantial free time for leisure, voluntary work and possibly a Masters) and I get by comfortably enough and still able to save.

I don't buy much in the way of luxuries, but I still have the sort of life the OP is describing.

So even if I were to get a car (which I won't as can't drive), and we take the RAC's figure of 6 - 7k, this would mean I'd need to earn about 25k, maybe still 2 or so k less.

£215 a month in rent for a shared house in a relatively affuent area of Newcastle, albeit a basic house. I realise this is cheap. Not as cheap as my first house in Durham though (£171 a month :cool: )

No idea about bills as I still haven't needed to pay in any this new house, but going on by previous two houses £80 a month was sufficient (less if sharing).

£200 food and toiletries (perhaps more)

£100 clothes

£100 to £200 on social life and hobbies (I could easily spend more, but many things I do cost little if any money, and I'm trying to save as much money as I can for travelling and other things).

£100 for emergencies.

Even this leaves me with some left over cash. So why do I need to earn 10k more in order to run a car?

Effectively no tax or NI on my income (as my earnings aren't actually 16k). Even if my earnings were 16k, tax and NI this would eat up my "spare" money but little to nothing more. No student loan repayments as it's below the threshold.
    The issue here is your rent (or lack of issue for you )
    The average is £500. £215 and no bills is insanely cheap and frees up enough for a car etc. As I said, deduct a further 400pcm to make up for normal rent, and as you are PT I'm guessing you don't pay into a pension scheme (100pcm) or pay back your student loan (another 100pcm)

So it is a combination of super cheap rent, and earn more = taxed more etc as 10k more only equates in real terms to about 500 more a month at most after tax....which is then what goes into the car.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Unsworth)
    Decent salary in my opinion (talking London) would be £75k+
    No, that would be a very good salary by almost any person's reckoning. It would place you toward the highest earners in society, and is over three times the average salary.

I do think people need to read the OP's question. Decent means allowing a person to meet basic living costs, run a car, and go out a couple of times a week. This can be done on 30k, even in London. less than half what you suggest.

ReputationRep:
    Cars cost a hell of a lot of money, and if you are not using it a lot eg low fuel bill, then you probably can't justify owning one.
    Ok so I will go to bed after this post (self constraint etc.. ) but I have a 3.7K car (at the time) and I earn 12.5K

before my "earnings " were around half that due to student loans though I had this little thing called "savings"

ReputationRep:
    No, that would be a very good salary by almost any person's reckoning. It would place you toward the highest earners in society, and is over three times the average salary.

I do think people need to read the OP's question. Decent means allowing a person to meet basic living costs, run a car, and go out a couple of times a week. This can be done on 30k, even in London. less than half what you suggest.
    Bear in mind, the average housing costs are over 300k to buy in London so a 75k salary is only just sufficient for this. Might not be what the OP described but most people would consider being able to buy their own house 'decent'.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Imho, 25k+ is ideal

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.