The Student Room Group

Lifting noob gets strong

Scroll to see replies

Reply 160
Having read gstarman's post I am still mystified as to why people have much such low lower:upper body ratios in terms of weight. 110:90 for squats and 130:90 for deadlifts seems strange to me.

Mine are approx. 140:90 and 170:90 which for deadlifts is nearly double my bench press.

I know I'm probably disproportionate to the average guy but still... Back when I started I was doing about 100:60 deadlift to bench which is a similar ratio.
Reply 161
Original post by Reps4Jesus
Not sure tbh, I go swimming around once a week but rarely do any cardio apart from that

I used to have awful cardio. To be honest it's still pretty poor in my eyes. But it's a lot better than before and I feel better for in the gym, I don't get as tired after doing a heavy session. If you hit your cardio right it'll really benefit you.
I get what you mean.. the reason is that I have been only doing squats and deadlifts for a fraction of the time I have spent on upper body.

I know its dumb but I always used to dislike any leg exercise and was afraid of doing deadlifts as I had no idea on technique and didn't want to mess anything up.

Since starting legs and deadlifts properly I find I enjoy them a lot.
29/5/14

Last two workouts have been pretty dire. My elbow has started clicking (albeit without pain) during bench presses, shoulder presses and Pushdowns. Going to stop doing Pushdowns and concentrate on getting a strong CGBP. Hopefully that'll be enough for tricep gains.

Today:
DB Decline Bench - 27.5kg (6,6,6) PB
T - bar rows - 52.5kg (5,5,5,4,4) I think
DB split squats - 10kg x lots
Hammer curls - 12.5kg (8,8,4) PB
Close grip floor press - 42.5kg (8)

Can really feel close grip floor press in the triceps without any elbow problems. Is doing these every other session (ie every 4th day) alongside bench + shoulder work enough for tricep growth?

Posted from TSR Mobile
29/5/14

Last two workouts have been pretty dire. My elbow has started clicking (albeit without pain) during bench presses, shoulder presses and Pushdowns. Going to stop doing Pushdowns and concentrate on getting a strong CGBP. Hopefully that'll be enough for tricep gains.

Today:
DB Decline Bench - 27.5kg (6,6,6) PB
T - bar rows - 52.5kg (5,5,5,4,4) I think
DB split squats - 10kg x lots
Hammer curls - 12.5kg (8,8,4) PB
Close grip floor press - 42.5kg (8)

Can really feel close grip floor press in the triceps without any elbow problems. Is doing these every other session (ie every 4th day) alongside bench + shoulder work enough for tricep growth?

Posted from TSR Mobile

close grip + any overhead shoulder press + any normal bench will make your triceps grow.
SS is gold standard get strong quick programme

You only do 3x5 OHP and Bench alternate days... and people make all kinza gainz on that.... you have enough for tricep hypertrophy doing CGBP, bench and OHP... don't worry. Blaha himself admits that the extra tricep work will only add a little bit extra, nothing too major.
Original post by Angry cucumber
SS is gold standard get strong quick programme

You only do 3x5 OHP and Bench alternate days... and people make all kinza gainz on that.... you have enough for tricep hypertrophy doing CGBP, bench and OHP... don't worry. Blaha himself admits that the extra tricep work will only add a little bit extra, nothing too major.

Good to hear.

Although, I have to limit my rom on dumbbell shoulder press so I don't raise them to the point where I'm mainly using triceps cos if I extend my arms that far my elbow clicks on the negative. Keeps all tension on the delts but not much triceps is used. Same as Yate's shoulder presses if you've seen them.

It sucks having an elbow injury but tbh I've dropped most of the Mickey Mouse exercises and have made the most gains since getting it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by tehforum
close grip + any overhead shoulder press + any normal bench will make your triceps grow.

That's encouraging then.

How's the cut going?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Good to hear.

Although, I have to limit my rom on dumbbell shoulder press so I don't raise them to the point where I'm mainly using triceps cos if I extend my arms that far my elbow clicks on the negative. Keeps all tension on the delts but not much triceps is used. Same as Yate's shoulder presses if you've seen them.

It sucks having an elbow injury but tbh I've dropped most of the Mickey Mouse exercises and have made the most gains since getting it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah my elbows have been playing up lately.. medial head tendon has been doing some complaining so I've gone lighter on my tricep add ons.

I do DB press like Yates does.. going further on the negative than your standard L shape. That said I lock them out. Never the less you'll still be getting tricep activation no matter what.

Do what you have to do to get the job done though
Yeah my elbows have been playing up lately.. medial head tendon has been doing some complaining so I've gone lighter on my tricep add ons.

I do DB press like Yates does.. going further on the negative than your standard L shape. That said I lock them out. Never the less you'll still be getting tricep activation no matter what.

Do what you have to do to get the job done though

Yeah it's the medial head that's the problem for me. Ulnar nerves snaps over it during most exercises but gladly there's no pain.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I've got relatively good triceps (second best body part after chest) with a nice horse shoe coming through , and to be honest benching and pressing didn't do a great deal for them. I'm sure over the medium/long term they will undoubtedly cause tricep growth , but without overhead extensions, dips, proper skull crushers , it's gonna be very slow indeed. Most people in gym have crappy triceps and developed biceps imo. In fact a guy said to me the other day my arms look big, I said look at my biceps they're hardly impressive. It's because I have triceps and you don't lol I know him so he didn't take offence

I get the odd bit of elbow pain but usually it's resolved by warming up, stretching, widening grip. I would rest your elbow and easy back in with the above. Keep it light.

Sent from my HTC One
(edited 9 years ago)
31/5/14

Deadlifts - 100kg (1x5) PB
DB Shoulder press - 20kg (4x6) PB
Lat pull down - 60kg (2x6) 55kg (2x6)
CGBP - 47.5kg (1x8)
Curls
Side raises

Deadlifts were easy which is encouraging.
Shoulder presses were easy until the last rep which was a grind.
Left elbow started clicking on CGBP so I'm gonna take a week rest from lifting and see how if it recovers. Annoying.

Posted from TSR Mobile
31/5/14

Deadlifts - 100kg (1x5) PB
DB Shoulder press - 20kg (4x6) PB
Lat pull down - 60kg (2x6) 55kg (2x6)
CGBP - 47.5kg (1x8)
Curls
Side raises

Deadlifts were easy which is encouraging.
Shoulder presses were easy until the last rep which was a grind.
Left elbow started clicking on CGBP so I'm gonna take a week rest from lifting and see how if it recovers. Annoying.

Posted from TSR Mobile

*2 plate DL crew*
*2 plate DL crew*

That's actually something to be proud of at the gym I go to.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I have a scary feeling the only way I can resolve my elbow issue is surgery unfortunately. Its the only way to put the ulnar nerve back in its proper place .

Posted from TSR Mobile
That's actually something to be proud of at the gym I go to.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Same.

Not gonna lie, I swear most people don't even make it in the gym.

"But we're gonna make it brahs" - zyzz RIP in pieces.
I have a scary feeling the only way I can resolve my elbow issue is surgery unfortunately. Its the only way to put the ulnar nerve back in its proper place .

Posted from TSR Mobile

Do it sooner rather than later!

Let it heal, and reap the gains with your naturally high testosterone levels.
Do it sooner rather than later!

Let it heal, and reap the gains with your naturally high testosterone levels.

Surgery's only recommended when there are symptoms such as reduced grip strength and numbness in the pinky finger.

Will probably just have to train around it ie don't do any tricep exercises and use as little tricep on pressing movements as possible.

I'll consider my options after a week off.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Why stop completely..? Might as well go in and at least do the pull stuff and legs.

Does the clicking hurt?

Might want to try and get some physio
Why stop completely..? Might as well go in and at least do the pull stuff and legs.

Does the clicking hurt?

Might want to try and get some physio

Good point. I'll do back and legs stuff.

It hurts yeah, not that painful but I don't want to just ignore it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest