Join TSR now and chat with students like youSign up now

What does STEM stand for? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by umieee)
    Why a waste of time?
    Well it's maths. As soon as you get past addition and subtraction there's no point in it.
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    According to that source, not all STEM subjects are superior, history's figure is slightly more than biology's and only £39 less than chemistry's

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KingStannis)
    Well, philosophy invented and developed logic and many logicians have also been philosophers. IE, Russel, Liebenitz, Quine etc

Even Godel dabbled.
    So what you're saying, is that the STEM greats are so clever, they dabble in non-STEM subjects, just for thrills? :holmes:

Spoiler:
    Show
    I am kidding, I don't think there is a hierarchy where one thing is better

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Dragonborn)
    There you go. Who the **** needs Theology? It's basically English literature - just over-analysing pieces of fictional text.
    :u: I think I outdid myself coming up with that :laugh:
    Bar Christianity ofc you're completely right

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Changing Skies)
    According to that source, not all STEM subjects are superior, history's figure is slightly more than biology's and only £39 less than chemistry's

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Non-STEM students will have a lot more fun at uni too. And will have jobs that are more fun. And will generally have better personalities.

Damn I wish I could do something else.

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Wow, and you actually CHOSE to study TWO of the lowest paying professions in a JOINT HONOURS degree?! Bahahah

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yo radical one)
    So what you're saying, is that the STEM greats are so clever, they dabble in non-STEM subjects, just for thrills? :holmes:

Spoiler:
    Show
    I am kidding, I don't think there is a hierarchy where one thing is better
    Actually the opposite

Apart from Godel; but his ontological argument has a shakey axiom in it, so I could make the argument that he tried philosophy and failed, and then I would have to make the argument that pretty much EVERY philosopher/logician/mathematician who tried philosophy failed.

Because philosophy is just so goddam alpha nobody can even do it right.
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Solivagant)
    Non-STEM students will have a lot more fun at uni too. And will have jobs that are more fun. And will generally have better personalities.

Damn I wish I could do something else.
    Sarcasm?
    (Original post by Manic Boy)
    Wow, and you actually CHOSE to study TWO of the lowest paying professions in a JOINT HONOURS degree?! Bahahah
    Oh hush boy, I don't care about what you think :teehee:

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Sarcasm?
    It wasn't actually

ReputationRep:
    Actually the opposite

Apart from Godel; but his ontological argument has a shakey axiom in it, so I could make the argument that he tried philosophy and failed, and then I would have to make the argument that pretty much EVERY philosopher/logician/mathematician who tried philosophy failed.

Because philosophy is just so goddam alpha nobody can even do it right.
    Shaky axiom

where? :holmes:

Unless by shaky you mean borderline but still plausible

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MidnightDream)
    I wanna drop it next year I'm bored to death of writing essays and drawing diagrams. I thought there'd be more maths in it to be honest :laugh: How wrong was I?
    (Original post by Robbie242)
    I fell into the same trap, and then realised PED was about as mathematical as it was going to get :lol:
    I too, thought there was going to be more maths.
    I think I might have had to add up two numbers a couple of lessons ago, but I can't remember now.

Needless to say, that dirty social science is being crossed off my list of subjects come next September, and I will only be studying glorious STEM subjects from then onwards.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Robbie242)
    STEM is the master race
    Beta arts students should praise Principia Mathematica on a daily basis
    Why thank you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Necrosyrtes)
    I too, thought there was going to be more maths.
    I think I might have had to add up two numbers a couple of lessons ago, but I can't remember now.

Needless to say, that dirty social science is being crossed off my list of subjects come next September, and I will only be studying glorious STEM subjects from then onwards.
    I haven't done any maths since we did Index and that was months ago :laugh: I want to only continue with STEM next year too and drop the wannabe. No more essays :woo: not worth my time

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yo radical one)
    Shaky axiom

where? :holmes:

Unless by shaky you mean borderline but still plausible
    Pretty much. It always struck me as wrong, but I haven't been able to refute. Not that I've thought about it for more than ten minutes.

Looking at the argument again, I cannot bring myself to try and refute it.

ReputationRep:
    Lol, people, social sciences are STEM, because by definition a social science is a science. You share a master race with sociology, there is no escaping that.

And don't dismiss economics either: it gets very mathematical at university apparently.

ReputationRep:
    Lol, people, social sciences are STEM, because by definition a social science is a science. You share a master race with sociology, there is no escaping that.

And don't dismiss economics either: it gets very mathematical at university apparently.
    Dont lie
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:

Lol it barely gets past A-Level.

The only proper maths is in finance which none of the economists can do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by toonervoustotalk)
    I think the M stands for Maths

Posted from TSR Mobile
    No. If some people do hate it, it stands for massive waste of time.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sabster)
    Lol it barely gets past A-Level.

The only proper maths is in finance which none of the economists can do.
    Hey, I'm just repeating what I heard.

Is that a level maths, or a level econ?

ReputationRep:
    It is obvious that theoretical physics is the pinnacle of human thought.

Poll
Which web browser do you use?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.