Turn on thread page Beta

Why is the muscular physique so popular on here? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I can't believe people have the patience to debate this tbh, no-one is going to get anywhere.

If you lift, good job, keep on lifting if that's what you enjoy. If you don't lift, then carry on not lifting.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tyrion_Lannister)
    She's not "skinny fat". Shes a normal slim, healthy woman. A lot of runners (who actually do something interesting not lift heavy blocks repetitively for an hour) have a similar physique
    She's 'normal', agreed. I actually prefer that body (though on a taller girl) to the other one a few pages back.

But like most people in the UK who aren't overweight on the scale - she's 'skinny fat.'
    Even just Googling her, you can she it in her face: that's not a face of someone with low body fat, and she doesn't have much muscle at all.

But, it's actually what I'd go for, so it's not me arguing this out of bias.

ReputationRep:
    No she isn't. Like I said above, a lot of runners look like that.

Whatever you want to call it it's nicer than looking hard and vascular *shudders*
    Runners (long distance, not sprinters) are literally the textbook definition of skinnyfat, so thanks for proving my point nicely

Ie. zero definition, flabby, and weak. Low muscle (skinny) and not lean either (fat). Skinnyfat. You just learned something today.

ReputationRep:
    It's popular because it takes dedication, which people admire. That's why fat isn't popular, because it shows laziness (most of the time).

You have your own ideals, good for you, but remember that 9/10 people don't care.

ReputationRep:
    No she isn't. Like I said above, a lot of runners look like that.

Whatever you want to call it it's nicer than looking hard and vascular *shudders*
    This is what a professional female marathon runner looks like

If you were serious about running you wouldn't look like the person you posted. To optimize your body in that sport you'd want to have very low body fat% because this is essentially dead weight and would slow/tire you.
    And you'd want to weight is little as possible so you wouldn't have much muscle either.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by manchesterunited15)
    Lol, so now the real reason for this thread comes out.

How is putting one foot in front of the other repetitively for an hour more interesting?
    That was in response to people insulting non lifters

Because you run to new places and see new things

(Original post by Anonymous Coward)
    She's 'normal', agreed. I actually prefer that body (though on a taller girl) to the other one a few pages back.

But like most people in the UK who aren't overweight on the scale, she's skinny fat.
    Even just Googling her, you can she it in her face: that's not a face of someone with low body fat, and she doesn't have much muscle at all.

But, it's actually what I'd go for, so it's not me arguing this out of bias.
    She doesn't have high body fat, looks around 23%..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bertstare)
    Runners (long distance, not sprinters) are literally the textbook definition of skinnyfat, so thanks for proving my point nicely

Ie. zero definition, flabby, and weak. Low muscle (skinny) and not lean either (fat). Skinnyfat. You just learned something today.
    That's not what skinny fat is. :facepalm2: skinny fat is a skinny person who doesn't exercise who has flab...

ReputationRep:
    If you're a guy you often have to put up with constant threats of violence and lifting weights helps you improve your ability to protect yourself it also makes you feel more of a man and less weedy however lame that sounds. I don't do it very much though and I don't understand the obession with it and why women would be that interested in it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChickenMadness)
    This is what a professional female marathon runner looks like

If you were serious about running you wouldn't look like the person you posted. To optimize your body in that sport you'd want to have very low body fat% because this is essentially dead weight and would slow/tire you.
    And you'd want to weight is little as possible so you wouldn't have much muscle either.
    Okay one I never said I look like her (I'm much taller for one), two I run for fun , not for any competitions. I also don't find the women you posted attractive

Any visible muscle puts me off tbh

ReputationRep:
    The latter part of this makes sense but in person it's not nearly as prevalent
    Whilst sticking with the Ceteris Paribus principle, would you rather date a guy/girl who looked toned (because lifting weights isn't all about being massive) or a fat/skinny/disproportionately-framed person. Because, it's only human to judge someone on the way they look.

ReputationRep:
    That's not what skinny fat is. :facepalm2: skinny fat is a skinny person who doesn't exercise who has flab...
    Which is exactly what I said. Low muscle mass, and still has flab. Skinny but still carrying visible fat. Like many long distance runners

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bertstare)
    Which is exactly what I said. Low muscle mass, and still has flab. Skinny but still carrying visible fat. Like many long distance runners
    Having flab isn't having visible fat. Flab is rolls. Everyone. (Who isn't veiny ) has visible fat. That is not skinny fat

ReputationRep:
    Also I would add running is definitely not more interesting than weigtlifting I find it incredibly tedious.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by manchesterunited15)
    You said it doesn't have any positive effects (for some people).

You then claimed that you didn't say it doesn't have any benefits.

Benefit = positive effect
    Of course it has benefits - to claim I said that is retarded given that I even mentioned one: weight loss. It did not, however, have a positive effect because I came out of feeling ****tier than before I lost the weight. I'm not sure why you're finding this so hard to comprehend.

ReputationRep:
    She doesn't have high body fat, looks around 23%..
    So not low.
    And no muscle to at least balance it out - 'skinny fat'

She's no doubt safely in her weight range though.

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.