Turn on thread page Beta

General Maths Questions watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi.

Could someone plase tell me how to use the Φ function on a calculator as I really can't figure out how to do it?

Thank you.

Cathy

ReputationRep:
    Hi all

is your sylabuss changing in 2008 ?

I know edexcel isnt but further maths is changing in 2009

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *bobo*)
    definitelydont take D1, universities dont take it seriously. good choice otherwise. does M5 exist, which board are you taking?
    oh my god WHAT are you talking just for maths? I dont want to do maths at uni but i do want to apply to oxbridge and ive done maths with D1 and S1...will this be a problem??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by belli)
    oh my god WHAT are you talking just for maths? I dont want to do maths at uni but i do want to apply to oxbridge and ive done maths with D1 and S1...will this be a problem??
    No. Mechanics is more useful for Maths and Physics applicants, but whatever you want to read you won't be rejected just because you took S1 and D1 (however awful those modules are).

Edit: That would probably be better as "Physics and Maths applicants".

ReputationRep:
    I don't think that universities care much what modules you take. They usually prefer mechanics but the effect on your application is likely minimal.

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys.
    Just to give you a lowdown, I'm in my second year of A-levels, studying maths, further maths, physics and geography (Plus general studies - woo!)

I've also decided to teach myself 3 more modules, to gain an extra AS in 'Additional Further Maths'

I'm studying on the MEI course, and I've done/doing these modules:

Maths - C1, C2, C3, C4, S1, M1
    Further - FP1, FP2, S2, M2, NM, D1
    Additional - D2, S3, S4

I've done the exam for D2 already (very easy! got a nice 87) but the exams for S3 and S4 are coming up in about 5 weeks, and I'm starting to panic.
    S3 isn't too much of a worry - it seems very much like S2 in the style and type of questions.
    S4 is more of a problem - I am really struggling with it. I have read through the first three chapters, and have mostly understood the theory, although when it gets to the questions, I am just completely stumped!

I want to know if there is anyone out there who has done or is currently studying for this module that could help me out?
    Or if there are any online resources that walk through some of the questions?

Cheers!

ReputationRep:
    i study alevel edexcel math and further math, and last term my teacher told me that all the exam boards use "MOST ECONOMIC RULE TO GRADE MATH AND FURTHER MATH" (I mean the final grades of these twe subjects) which means you can't choose which uncompulsory module will be in math and which will be in further math.:mad:

Do any one know this most economic rule??:confused: :confused: :confused: If you know, plz reply below, so i can ask you some questions related to this rule, it has huge impact on whether or not i can go to the university i want, so plz help me!!

Are there any alevel math teachers in this forum? if you know any, plz tell me,then i can ask them since my math teachers can't help me at all to solve my problems but confusing me every time.

so plz guy, my final hope is on you @!!

ReputationRep:
    they swap around the modules to ensure that you get the best grades in both subjects. they will try and maximise the maths grade first though.

its a good thing, so dont worry about it. its simply ensuring that you get as high as possible.

i think this is perhaps what you are talking about anyway... if not i have no idea

ReputationRep:
    I concur however I did 7 modules for my A level maths and the exam board was supposed to select the best 6 and they didnt

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Loz2402)
    they swap around the modules to ensure that you get the best grades in both subjects. they will try and maximise the maths grade first though.

its a good thing, so dont worry about it. its simply ensuring that you get as high as possible.
    Thanks very much, I would thought no one will answer me.
    I don't want to worry, although my situation is difficult and complicated. the university ask me to get A in alevel math and e in AS futher math. I started to learn further math myself in y13 as my school doesn't provide it, and now i don't want to continue furmath, i just want to satisfy the uni's requirements. I though with the exams i have taken now, i should have achieved their requirements, but my teacher said she is not sure because of the rule, which annoys very much:mad: :mad: , i just want a secured answer that i get A and e already so that i can give up FM without worrying. I chose C1-C4(compulsory), FP1-FP3(compulsory),M1,M2,S1,D1,D2(1 2 IN TOTAL). Now i have left exams on modules D2, FP1-FP3 to take in june,and i havent started to learn (except FP1) since i have to study them myself , and it is impossible to finish them before the exam date in june. I just started look at FP1 today with pressure from my math teacher(she teach me nothing but forcing me to fininsh them all, she doesn't like me at all, always make me cry :mad: ). So in total i chose (COMPULSORY):c1 99,c2 95,c3 90,c4 48, fp1 0, fp2 0, fp3 0,(uncompulsory):M1:98, M2 68, S1 90, D1 83, D2 0. i Plan to sit in the rest of the exams, but do nothing since i won;t finish those modules, so i assume they will get 0 mark. Could help me to have a look if with the marks stated above, will i achive MATH A and AS further math e???:confused: :confused: :confused:
    PS: IN the edexcel specification, it is said that in math, except the 4 compulsory modules, the rest 2 can be in any combinations of m1&m2 or S1&S2,D1&D2,or M1&S1,or M1&D1,or S1&D1. (I have calculated that if they choose the combination D1&D2, i won't get A) so scare!!cried a lot because this !

ReputationRep:
    Your grades will get you an A in a-level maths. They will use all of lowest A grade applied modules and make up the further maths with the rest.

ReputationRep:
    does the rule apply to math first, AS further second, then A2 Further third?
    (I mean will they pick the best modules first for math,then pick the best 3 modules in futhermath second, and calculate the A2 futher at the end?)

I have tried to ask EDXCEL,but they said they don't answer any questions related to grades and markds specifically. :mad:

WHAT SHALL I DO???

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mrmanps)
    I concur however I did 7 modules for my A level maths and the exam board was supposed to select the best 6 and they didnt
    WHICH SEVEN? AND WHICH 6 THEY TAKE? COULD YOU TELL ME PLZ? IT MEANS A LOT FOR ME! THANK YOU.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jacobsuccess)
    Thanks very much, I would thought no one will answer me.
    I don't want to worry, although my situation is difficult and complicated. the university ask me to get A in alevel math and e in AS futher math. I started to learn further math myself in y13 as my school doesn't provide it, and now i don't want to continue furmath, i just want to satisfy the uni's requirements. I though with the exams i have taken now, i should have achieved their requirements, but my teacher said she is not sure because of the rule, which annoys very much:mad: :mad: , i just want a secured answer that i get A and e already so that i can give up FM without worrying. I chose C1-C4(compulsory), FP1-FP3(compulsory),M1,M2,S1,D1,D2(1 2 IN TOTAL). Now i have left exams on modules D2, FP1-FP3 to take in june,and i havent started to learn (except FP1) since i have to study them myself , and it is impossible to finish them before the exam date in june. I just started look at FP1 today with pressure from my math teacher(she teach me nothing but forcing me to fininsh them all, she doesn't like me at all, always make me cry :mad: ). So in total i chose (COMPULSORY):c1 99,c2 95,c3 90,c4 48, fp1 0, fp2 0, fp3 0,(uncompulsory):M1:98, M2 68, S1 90, D1 83, D2 0. i Plan to sit in the rest of the exams, but do nothing since i won;t finish those modules, so i assume they will get 0 mark. Could help me to have a look if with the marks stated above, will i achive MATH A and AS further math e???:confused: :confused: :confused:
    PS: IN the edexcel specification, it is said that in math, except the 4 compulsory modules, the rest 2 can be in any combinations of m1&m2 or S1&S2,D1&D2,or M1&S1,or M1&D1,or S1&D1. (I have calculated that if they choose the combination D1&D2, i won't get A) so scare!!cried a lot because this !
    im no expert, but i think you should try and study as much as possible for your exams this coming june, even if you just focus on a few core topics and leave some out. i cant say what they will do. it would be silly for them to bring your maths mark so far down, so i would hope that they would give you marks that total as high as poss in normal maths. but C1-4 will def be in your maths grades.

im sorry i cant help. id just suggest getting yourself a revision plan, and try to get down to some serious revision to try and do as best as poss, and try not to worry as much

good luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zrancis)
    Your grades will get you an A in a-level maths. They will use all of lowest A grade applied modules and make up the further maths with the rest.
    thanks for reply.
    so how about further math? will get e with the marks i got now? you think?
    if you are not sure, could you help me to ask about your math teacher with the marks i stated above? i just want to hear some really powerful and professional to confirm this. My math teacher doesn't help at all, i think she hates me because at the start, she against me to study further math, and i didn;t hear her words because i just want to get the conditional offer from the best uni possible, and as long as they set the requirements of lower than C in further math, i can give up further math personally, but attending the exams with doing nothing. but now after several month of studying further math, one day she suddently told me you can't choose which to go in math and further math yourselves, oh that's the biggest headach, why don't she tell me while she is against me? no she is sort of resfusing to explaining the rule to me, but letting me worrying all day.]

So plz, could help me to ask your math teacher quoting the modules and marks i stated above,if it is possible. THANKS A MILLION!!!!

If you get the results you stated above, and do not write to the exam board to request any changes, you will receive an A in A-level Maths and a U in A-Level Further Maths.

ReputationRep:
    This should be in the general maths thread. Ive sent a report to get it moved however due to the circumstances in the last week it could've got lost in the ether so we'll see. Post reports arent working fully atm.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lusus Naturae)
    If you get the results you stated above, and do not write to the exam board to request any changes, you will receive an A in A-level Maths and a U in A-Level Further Maths.

Really? ARE YOU SURE? How about the AS FURTHER MATH GRADE? Can I get e for it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by insparato)
    This should be in the general maths thread. Ive sent a report to get it moved however due to the circumstances in the last week it could've got lost in the ether so we'll see. Post reports arent working fully atm.

Sorry for posting here, hope can be moved successfully

ReputationRep:
    Hey everyone.

I just had a question regarding the AQA books. Is there a book that has been written to the AQA specification?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: January 17, 2009

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Aston University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19
Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Equations

Best calculators for A level Maths

Tips on which model to get

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.