The Student Room Group

What salary are you realistically expecting to earn?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by CJKay
Jokes are meant to be funny. :s-smilie:

Ahh now you're just being rude. I apologise if my salary offends you, you seemed pleasant enough before we got into this discussion. Carry on as you were, goodnight :smile:
Reply 161
Original post by brownbearxo
Ahh now you're just being rude. I apologise if my salary offends you, you seemed pleasant enough before we got into this discussion. Carry on as you were, goodnight :smile:

I'm not sure why your salary would offend me, given that it's no more than the starter salaries for my line of work. :wtf:
My point was that you're not suddenly going to get a house/flat to yourself, run a car and go on multiple holidays with a mere £566 a month extra in your pocket than when you are earning £20,000 (especially when more holidays -> fewer worked hours).
(edited 9 years ago)
Minimum wage..though id be lucky to get that.
Original post by XXSimmyXX
but hiw cime yoir medicine degree will earn u more money than ither people by that much?

That guy gets his kicks by pretending to be rich/smart. He's literally masturbating to your replies, i'd imagine.
Original post by CJKay
I'm not sure why your salary would offend me, given that it's no more than the starter salaries for my line of work. :wtf:
My point was that you're not suddenly going to get a house/flat to yourself, run a car and go on multiple holidays with a mere £566 a month extra in your pocket than when you are earning £20,000 (especially when more holidays -> fewer worked hours).

I'd imagine you weren't explaining that to me though, given I never said that anyone earning £20,000 should.

I was just stating that £400 per month as an adult is quite uncomfortable, and I certainly couldn't live off it. You seem to be able to and well done for that! I can't understand why you were trying to imply that I overspend, or I cannot afford my lifestyle.

Some of you lot on this website need to relax. Its never that deep :biggrin:
(edited 9 years ago)
Teaching so £21,000 to begin with rising to £30,000 if I stick at it that long. :P
Original post by The Assassin
How much would you need to earn to live a comfortable life (which doesn't just include necessities but also luxuries) in London?

Well, 'luxuries' is very hard to define monetarily, you know. Luxury can be a nice week of in Mallorca, or a weekend shopping-clubbing spree in New York which can cost five times that.

I'd say to afford basic luxuries (eat out twice on weekends, buy designer clothes, live in a decent area of zone 2, maybe afford a motorbike/scooter just for fun) you'd have to earn GBP55k.
Original post by CJKay
LOL I'm a university student.

F-ing get out of this thread then, it's meant for people to post their salary expectations once they graduate and work full-time - and me correcting their expectations, of course.

Original post by CJKay
I cycle into town and walk to work, so I don't need a car.

Only because you don't need one doesn't mean that you could afford one.

Original post by CJKay
Why does it matter how big and modern my "pad" is?

Quality of life?

Original post by CJKay
You're not going to get what you seem to describe until you're earning well over £35k.

Never said anyone would. Life starts at 35k, what I describe requires more.

Original post by CJKay
I assure you that you are vastly underestimating the cost of the things you describe (at least if you want to live comfortably as well).

Funny, because I have/do all these things :biggrin:
Quarrying. Management level or above 50 - 100k
Moving from Australia, is 23K-25K starting grad salary okay to be comfortable outside of London (North-West England region)? Probably living quite frugally in share accommodation, but I'd like to travel a lot whilst in UK.
I want to earn at least 1 million a year.
Original post by brownbearxo
My husbands money isnt my money. I may not ever marry :tongue:

A minimum of £800 after bills etc should do it.

What salary would you need for that amount of leisure cash?
What kind of properties can you get for the annual wage of 30k?. Outside and within london
I'd wanna start off at reasonable: 25 grand. More than enough for one person in my opinion. But I'd expect a quick rise to above 35 grand in several years.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Looking at project management anywhere from £20,000 at the start and £45,000 after completing prince practitioners and atleast 5+ years of experience with a major corporation.
Original post by Troytheboy
What kind of properties can you get for the annual wage of 30k?. Outside and within london

Not many probably a relatively small flat?
I don't have a number. I just want more.
Original post by Troytheboy
What salary would you need for that amount of leisure cash?

Around £26,000
PMSL.....

A fair amount on this thread wee bubble will be pop when reality comes down upon them!
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by TitanicTeutonicPhil
Surviving not being miserable.

So how big and modern is your pad then? What car do you have? Maybe even a motorcycle/scooter on the side? Nice vacations? Life starts at 35k, and that's outside London.

In my hometown (Sheffield), you can live a pretty nice life on £20k even, if you're cohabiting with a partner who earns a similar amount.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending