Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CJKay)
    What are you on about? What on earth makes you think I would consider a change of career?
    Unbunch your knickers, its a joke!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by brownbearxo)
    Unbunch your knickers, its a joke!
    Jokes are meant to be funny.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CJKay)
    Jokes are meant to be funny.
    Ahh now you're just being rude. I apologise if my salary offends you, you seemed pleasant enough before we got into this discussion. Carry on as you were, goodnight

ReputationRep:
    Ahh now you're just being rude. I apologise if my salary offends you, you seemed pleasant enough before we got into this discussion. Carry on as you were, goodnight
    I'm not sure why your salary would offend me, given that it's no more than the starter salaries for my line of work. :wtf:
    My point was that you're not suddenly going to get a house/flat to yourself, run a car and go on multiple holidays with a mere £566 a month extra in your pocket than when you are earning £20,000 (especially when more holidays -> fewer worked hours).

ReputationRep:
    Minimum wage..though id be lucky to get that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by XXSimmyXX)
    but hiw cime yoir medicine degree will earn u more money than ither people by that much?
    That guy gets his kicks by pretending to be rich/smart. He's literally masturbating to your replies, i'd imagine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CJKay)
    I'm not sure why your salary would offend me, given that it's no more than the starter salaries for my line of work. :wtf:
    My point was that you're not suddenly going to get a house/flat to yourself, run a car and go on multiple holidays with a mere £566 a month extra in your pocket than when you are earning £20,000 (especially when more holidays -> fewer worked hours).
    I'd imagine you weren't explaining that to me though, given I never said that anyone earning £20,000 should.

I was just stating that £400 per month as an adult is quite uncomfortable, and I certainly couldn't live off it. You seem to be able to and well done for that! I can't understand why you were trying to imply that I overspend, or I cannot afford my lifestyle.

Some of you lot on this website need to relax. Its never that deep

ReputationRep:
    Teaching so £21,000 to begin with rising to £30,000 if I stick at it that long. :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Assassin)
    How much would you need to earn to live a comfortable life (which doesn't just include necessities but also luxuries) in London?
    Well, 'luxuries' is very hard to define monetarily, you know. Luxury can be a nice week of in Mallorca, or a weekend shopping-clubbing spree in New York which can cost five times that.

I'd say to afford basic luxuries (eat out twice on weekends, buy designer clothes, live in a decent area of zone 2, maybe afford a motorbike/scooter just for fun) you'd have to earn GBP55k.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CJKay)
    LOL I'm a university student.
    F-ing get out of this thread then, it's meant for people to post their salary expectations once they graduate and work full-time - and me correcting their expectations, of course.

(Original post by CJKay)
    I cycle into town and walk to work, so I don't need a car.
    Only because you don't need one doesn't mean that you could afford one.

(Original post by CJKay)
    Why does it matter how big and modern my "pad" is?
    Quality of life?

(Original post by CJKay)
    You're not going to get what you seem to describe until you're earning well over £35k.
    Never said anyone would. Life starts at 35k, what I describe requires more.

(Original post by CJKay)
    I assure you that you are vastly underestimating the cost of the things you describe (at least if you want to live comfortably as well).
    Funny, because I have/do all these things

ReputationRep:
    Quarrying. Management level or above 50 - 100k

ReputationRep:
    Moving from Australia, is 23K-25K starting grad salary okay to be comfortable outside of London (North-West England region)? Probably living quite frugally in share accommodation, but I'd like to travel a lot whilst in UK.

ReputationRep:
    I want to earn at least 1 million a year.

ReputationRep:
    My husbands money isnt my money. I may not ever marry

A minimum of £800 after bills etc should do it.
    What salary would you need for that amount of leisure cash?

ReputationRep:
    What kind of properties can you get for the annual wage of 30k?. Outside and within london

ReputationRep:
    I'd wanna start off at reasonable: 25 grand. More than enough for one person in my opinion. But I'd expect a quick rise to above 35 grand in several years.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Looking at project management anywhere from £20,000 at the start and £45,000 after completing prince practitioners and atleast 5+ years of experience with a major corporation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Troytheboy)
    What kind of properties can you get for the annual wage of 30k?. Outside and within london
    Not many probably a relatively small flat?

ReputationRep:
    I don't have a number. I just want more.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Troytheboy)
    What salary would you need for that amount of leisure cash?
    Around £26,000

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.