The Student Room Group

Advice to my fresher self

Scroll to see replies

Original post by anxiouslife
How many societies do people recommend joining/ what is the average roughly? 3, 4, 5? 10?

I didn't join any but I would have joined 3/4 if I could have been bothered 10 will be way too much.
How many societies do people recommend joining/ what is the average roughly? 3, 4, 5? 10?

As many as you can, but choose carefully and manage your time well. You can join different things in different years, it doesn't have to be all at once. I doubt anyone could give you an average, some people join none and some people loads. It is advisable to get involved though, you don't want to come out with a degree and nothing else.
Original post by victoriajackson
My flatmate did the same and then tried to wash it down the sink, ended up with what looked like sick soup makes me feel sick just thinking about it :frown:

I did as well, really wasn't nice and something I'm going to try to avoid at uni.
this makes me so excited for freshers :biggrin:

Up to you although I'd definitely recommend joining at least 1, it gives you something extra to make you stand out when you go for jobs, and it's a great way to meet people. I'm in 3 societies and I love them all so much. If anyone manages to find time for 10 societies alongside a degree then I definitely admire that!
Original post by Antifazian
As many as you can, but choose carefully and manage your time well. You can join different things in different years, it doesn't have to be all at once. I doubt anyone could give you an average, some people join none and some people loads. It is advisable to get involved though, you don't want to come out with a degree and nothing else.

Yep. Although societies aren't the only way you can make your cv look good.
Yeah, I was in no society in my first year but I was involved with the coaching academy, radio station, student magazine and so many other things. Student involvement has to do with societies in a way, but its not central to it.
Don't agree to live with people you don't particularly like for 2nd year, as it'll all fall apart
On a similar note, don't agree to live with just one person after the above happens, 'cause they may well drop out of uni

Don't listen to people who say don't take your work so seriously,because you need to do as well as you can for a decent Year Abroad place!
Do try and have some fun though.. regardless if that's partying like everyone else or however else you want to.

Go to EVERYTHING for one society or possibly two, you'll become "that person everyone knows" and it's really fun! :smile:
Reply 168
i would have told my fresher self:

- sin bombs are your friend, even if they contain absinthe
- do not fall for sara, she'll **** up your life and not give a dam
- wear your pokemon onesie at freshers ball
- go to anything that actually counts towards your final grades and don't sleep through all of them
Original post by Kosa
i would have told my fresher self:

- sin bombs are your friend, even if they contain absinthe
- do not fall for sara, she'll **** up your life and not give a dam
- wear your pokemon onesie at freshers ball
- go to anything that actually counts towards your final grades and don't sleep through all of them

How great is absinthe though?
It may burn but it's such a great way to start a night
Reply 170
Original post by Jstrange
How great is absinthe though?
It may burn but it's such a great way to start a night

if its less than 50% then i don't go for it, it just won't go well, but usually its around 80% green absinthe, and my god, those nights are the best haha

i remember someone taking a shot next to me, the first shot of it he ever had, and he turned to the plant next to him and instantly vomited it back up haha
This stuff is hilarious and useful! :lol:
If you're in halls make the most of free heating in the winter!

Quick Reply

Latest