Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

2015 Physics Applicants Watch

• View Poll Results: Which Physics course(s) are you going to apply for?
    Physics BSc
    26.85%
    Physics MSci
    49.54%
    Theoretical Physics/ Phys & Maths BSc
    7.41%
    Theoretical Physics/ Phys & Maths MSci
    15.74%
    Physics with Astrophysics BSc
    7.87%
    Physics with Astrophysics MSci
    12.50%
    Physics and Philosophy BSc
    1.39%
    Physics and Philosophy MSci
    4.17%

ReputationRep:
    Can anyone give me more Information on Unis offering their BSc course to applications that miss the MSci entry requirements?
    I want to be certain that this is always true before I apply to AAA courses like Sheffield and Sussex, which have the added insurance of lower BSc requirements

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    has anyone actually fully decided what uni you're going to? I'm so stuck about which ones to apply to

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by frankthebunny)
    has anyone actually fully decided what uni you're going to? I'm so stuck about which ones to apply to
    Nope can't decide between Cambridge and Oxford, then between Bath UCL Edinburgh Durham Exeter Manchester

ReputationRep:
    Bristol firm! 🙌

ReputationRep:
    What kind of areas you interested in? And what grades you expecting?

ReputationRep:
    I'm thinking I might apply to Imperial now, as I got an A* in maths and also over 90% in physics AS, so I'll be aiming for an A* in physics this year and an A in further maths

Have quite a few other choices to decide on though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tibbz2)
    I'm thinking I might apply to Imperial now, as I got an A* in maths and also over 90% in physics AS, so I'll be aiming for an A* in physics this year and an A in further maths

Have quite a few other choices to decide on though
    you got an A* in maths, well done! do you do the whole of maths alevel in one year? What's your fourth option?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DanRigg96#)
    What kind of areas you interested in? And what grades you expecting?
    I'm interested in particle physics but I think that'll change because well learn more topics. I don't know what my predicted grades are but I'm assuming they'll be ABB

ReputationRep:
    Can anyone give me more Information on Unis offering their BSc course to applications that miss the MSci entry requirements?
    I want to be certain that this is always true before I apply to AAA courses like Sheffield and Sussex, which have the added insurance of lower BSc requirements

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I've heard a lot of unis do that, I think Liverpool so that as well

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know how good these unis are for astronomy (or maybe quantum mechanics) as I'm stuck on choosing 5? Cambridge/Durham/UCL/Imperial/Manchester/Bristol/Edinburgh

Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BP_Tranquility)
    Does anyone know how good these unis are for astronomy (or maybe quantum mechanics) as I'm stuck on choosing 5? Cambridge/Durham/UCL/Imperial/Manchester/Bristol/Edinburgh

Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
    You're going to struggle to rank those unis because they ALL have excellent research in Astronomy and quantum mechanics etc.
    Cambridge and Imperial you could probably say are strongest
    Just in case, you might want to consider one slightly lower uni like Exeter, which has excellent astronomy research

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    you got an A* in maths, well done! do you do the whole of maths alevel in one year? What's your fourth option?
    Yeah we did all of maths last year, and are going to do all of further maths this year :s

My other subject was chemistry which I have dropped, I would have tried it at A2 if I hadn't developed CFS/ME a few months ago

ReputationRep:
    You're going to struggle to rank those unis because they ALL have excellent research in Astronomy and quantum mechanics etc.
    Cambridge and Imperial you could probably say are strongest
    Just in case, you might want to consider one slightly lower uni like Exeter, which has excellent astronomy research

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Ah, thanks, I didn't know that they'd all be strong - but wouldn't imperial's location make it difficult to get any practical astronomy done (due to the light pollution in London)?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Ah, thanks, I didn't know that they'd all be strong - but wouldn't imperial's location make it difficult to get any practical astronomy done (due to the light pollution in London)?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Most of the data you'd analyse wouldn't be in the visible light range of wavelength anyway so you should be fine
    Plus most universities use external observatories outside of the campus

ReputationRep:
    I wish there were some good technical physics books that are good for a-level understanding, there seems to be a chasm between popsci and uni textbooks

ReputationRep:
    I agree, if any of you know of any good quantum mechanics/astrophysics books that assume A level understanding, then please let us know! There doesnt seem to be much maths in pop sci books -_-

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I agree, if any of you know of any good quantum mechanics/astrophysics books that assume A level understanding, then please let us know! There doesnt seem to be much maths in pop sci books -_-

Posted from TSR Mobile
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/0192...&robot_redir=1

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/0192...&robot_redir=1

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I'm looking to do an Msci Astrophysics degree but really struggling to choose universities - has anyone had experience with kent/exeter/keele/uclan/glasgow or liverpool?

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys, potential physics applicant here I've just started year 12 and I'm taking maths, physics, further maths and german for as level (going to drop german at A2 if all goes to plan). I am however a little bit concerned about not having chemistry (the reason being that I hate it and even if I did enjoy it, I enjoy german more and I'm not prepared to take 5 a-levels). Will the lack of chemistry a-level put me at a significant disadvantage and if so, would it be possible to take an AS in chemistry alongside my 3 A2s in year 13? Thank you!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aleishahogan)
    I'm looking to do an Msci Astrophysics degree but really struggling to choose universities - has anyone had experience with kent/exeter/keele/uclan/glasgow or liverpool?
    Exeter, Glasgow and Liverpool, out of those, are the most reputable

However Liverpool's astrophysics research is non existent
    So I would look at Exeter and Glasgow, Exeter has an excellent astronomy department

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.