Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How do girls feel about being approached in the street? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eva.Gregoria)
    You must be trolling. No woman would scream and run in the opposite direction because a guy randomly started talking to then unless she has existing mental issues :lolwut:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    But she has good reason to! He might rape her, kill her, cut up her corpse and then rape her again!

Not to trivialize rape or anything (in case people think I might be), but surely you see just how extreme this is.

ReputationRep:
    You must be trolling. No woman would scream and run in the opposite direction because a guy randomly started talking to then unless she has existing mental issues :lolwut:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    What a remarkably ignorant and insensitive comment. If you were walking down a deserted street late at night and some guy started following you, then accelerated past you and then suddenly stopped and turned around, you're honestly saying you wouldn't **** yourself?

I would, and I'm 6'2 and built like a rugby forward.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ade9000)
    But she has good reason to! He might rape her, kill her, cut up her corpse and then rape her again!

Not to trivialize rape or anything (in case people think I might be), but surely you see just how extreme this is.
    Saying "not to trivilise rape or anything" is like those times people say "I'm not a racist but..."

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cole-slaw)
    What a remarkably ignorant and insensitive comment. If you were walking down a deserted street late at night and some guy started following you, then accelerated past you and then suddenly stopped and turned around, you're honestly saying you wouldn't **** yourself?

I would, and I'm 6'2 and built like a rugby forward.
    So now it's a deserted street late at night, eh?

Make up your mind for goodness sake! If you want to discuss chatting someone up on a deserted street late at night, make your own thread.

Well if it was a deserted street, I'd be **** scared mainly from watching too many criminal minds episodes

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Saying "not to trivilise rape or anything" is like those times people say "I'm not a racist but..."
    Really? Please elaborate how I'm trivializing rape. Go on.

ReputationRep:

Well if it was a deserted street, I'd be **** scared mainly from watching too many criminal minds episodes

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Fair enough. I would be, too. I still wouldn't call it harassment though.

ReputationRep:
    Really? Please elaborate how I'm trivializing rape. Go on.
    The fact that you had to attempt to clarify that you weren't trivialising rape quite clearly shows that you believed you were doing exactly that.

The fact that you claim to be willing to approach lone women in what is clearly an (perhaps unwittingly) intimidatory fashion, regardless of the very real distress this might cause, suggests you're either winding us up, or you are a deeply disturbed individual.

ReputationRep:

Make up your mind for goodness sake! If you want to discuss chatting someone up on a deserted street late at night, make your own thread.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    It was unspecified. You just said "No woman would scream and run in the opposite direction because a guy randomly started talking to them" full stop. You didn't specify it had to be daylight, or a crowded street.

ReputationRep:
    It was unspecified. You just said "No woman would scream and run in the opposite direction because a guy randomly started talking to them" full stop. You didn't specify it had to be daylight, or a crowded street.
    But its kinda common sense that in that scenario, it's very reasonable and even encouraged to be wary or to remove yourself from that situation. I didn't think that needed to be specified in my post.

The only situations we've been discussing on this thread has been a man randomly chatting up a girl in public. If you need clarification, read the entire thread again if you wish.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    The fact that you had to attempt to clarify that you weren't trivialising rape quite clearly shows that you believed you were doing exactly that.

The fact that you claim to be willing to approach lone women in what is clearly an (perhaps unwittingly) intimidatory fashion, regardless of the very real distress this might cause, suggests you're either winding us up, or you are a deeply disturbed individual.
    I only clarified myself because rape is a sensitive topic and people might misinterpret what I'm saying.

You know what? You may be right. I am a deeply disturbed individual. I engaging in a troll (I hope you are, otherwise...) who doesn't know what harassment is, on the subject of harassment. Thank you for helping me see the light.

One more thing: The only person getting wound up is you. Good day.

ReputationRep:
    Harassment covers a wide range of behaviours of an offensive nature. It is commonly understood as behaviour intended to disturb or upset.
    In the legal sense, it is intentional behaviour which is found threatening or disturbing

Sexual harassment involves unwanted and unwelcome words, deeds, actions, gestures, symbols, or behaviours of a sexual nature that make the target feel uncomfortable
    So approaching women in the street in a way that makes them feel disturbed, upset, threatened or uncomfortable is quite clearly harassment by the definition given above.

If the content of the approach is sexual (eg uninvited flirting), then its sexual harassment.

For all intents and purposes, actions in which you don't particularly care whether the victim is upset or disturbed by your actions- eg Ade9000's described scenario - are equivalent to actions with the intention of upsetting or disturbing.

ReputationRep:
    So approaching women in the street in a way that makes them feel disturbed, upset, threatened or uncomfortable is quite clearly harassment by the definition given above.
    Indeed, so if you approach and she makes it known she isn't interested, you back off. Thus, no harassment has taken place.

If the content of the approach is sexual (eg uninvited flirting), then its sexual harassment.
    Smiling can be considered flirting. Guess I gotta walk with a frown on my face to not sexual harass anyone!

For all intents and purposes, actions in which you don't particularly care whether the victim is upset or disturbed by your actions- eg Ade9000's described scenario - are equivalent to actions with the intention of upsetting or disturbing.
    No. Because in my scenario, the invitation to conversation was open. And as I have stated, time and time again, if she declines, you move one. Thus you have accounted for the victims upset and no harassment has taken place.

I don't know why I'm bothering with you, but then again I am winding you up and then there's the fact that I'm deeply disturbed. I'm done.

ReputationRep:
    That's one way of looking at it. She could also be quite receptive to this.

Actually I do this all the time....
    Lolz hope ur not beig serious because in that situation approaching a woman would be creepy

Edit just read u dnt do this ignore me haha

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ihateusernames)
    Lolz hope ur not beig serious because in that situation approaching a woman would be creepy

Posted from TSR Mobile
    It would be to some women. But I appreciate that all women respond differently.

And I don't do this at all. I was being sarcastic. Really weird how I have to spell everything out for you guys.

Edit: Just saw your edit. No worries, buddy.

ReputationRep:
    Indeed, so if you approach and she makes it known she isn't interested, you back off. Thus, no harassment has taken place.
    That is so obviously false it must have been painful to write. The initial act itself is harassment. Continuing to harass her only makes it worse.

Smiling can be considered flirting. Guess I gotta walk with a frown on my face to not sexual harass anyone!
    No it can't. Don't attempt to be fascetious, you only end up sounding foolish.

No. Because in my scenario, the invitation to conversation was open. And as I have stated, time and time again, if she declines, you move one. Thus you have accounted for the victims upset and no harassment has taken place.
    There is no "invitation to conversation" in the first place. Violating her right to privacy is harassment. How can you not understand this, it is very simple.

ReputationRep:
    It would be to some women. But I appreciate that all women respond differently.

And I don't do this at all. I was being sarcastic. Really weird how I have to spell everything out for you guys.
    Your entire argument relies upon the assertion that there is a "respectful" way to sexually approach women in the street. But when pressed to give an example, the best you could come up with was some crazed stalker scenario, that you later denied was serious.

So you couldn't come up with a respectful approach at all, which suggests to me that your argument is basically *******s.

ReputationRep:
    I bet the majority of girls in this thread are feminists hence all the insane comments from this thread. Generally, for most girls and non feminists, I highly doubt they'll be hurt simply by another human being trying to interact and have fun. They're just being friendly why don't you get it, this isn't Afghanistan or somewhere you're going to be kidnapped or something.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    What about women approaching men ? This has happened to me a few times.

A woman actually started speaking to me on the bus, and then asked if I was looking to rent an apartment and she had a spare room she was looking to rent out.

I kind of just shrugged it off, but now that I think about it, she was clearly implying, "come back to my place".

ReputationRep:
    That is so obviously false it must have been painful to write. The initial act itself is harassment. Continuing to harass her only makes it worse.

No it can't. Don't attempt to be fascetious, you only end up sounding foolish.

There is no "invitation to conversation" in the first place. Violating her right to privacy is harassment. How can you not understand this, it is very simple.

Your entire argument relies upon the assertion that there is a "respectful" way to sexually approach women in the street. But when pressed to give an example, the best you could come up with was some crazed stalker scenario, that you later denied was serious.

So you couldn't come up with a respectful approach at all, which suggests to me that your argument is basically *******s.

Okay. One last question to ask: if I ended up consensually with a number or if I was successful in gaining consensual intimacy, am I still guilty of harassment?

ReputationRep:
    Okay. One last question to ask: if I ended up consensually with a number or if I was successful in gaining consensual intimacy, am I still guilty of harassment?
    As a man, has a woman ever approached you in the street, and now that you look back on it, clearly wanted sex or at least to get to know you better.

It happens more than people expect.

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 10, 2014
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.