Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Oakflame)
    Nice Why have you chosen PPE? Do you like all parts of it equally, or is there one that interests you more?

I'm a bit (a lot ) concerned about my grades, if I even have a chance of getting in I can't really find much info about what would be the "average" acceptance grades for Swedish students... It's hard when I have nothing to compare them to

Are you considering any other schools or courses?
    I have chosen it because I think it's the right faculty to me. They are all on the same levels(even if maybe I prefer Philosophy) and I think that in my future I could easily change my plans.
    I'm a little bit concerned about being rejected by Oxford, are the other uni courses good as well?
    And what about you?
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AnnaValentine)
    Yeah I have, but I don't think it's really for me (although I am interested in natural hazards)... Anyway you have to be studying maths and physics/chemistry at A level don't you, which I'm not haha

Posted from TSR Mobile
    That's true. Well the Geography course looks like a lot of fun too, I just couldn't cope with having to study people

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emem2011)
    I did RS last year and I loved it! What exam board are you?

Ah that is amazing, I would love to do something like that! :O

I haven't done much so far, but I've been to some medical conferences and I am also a member of a charity which takes disabled and underprivileged children away for a week. I am starting a permanent volunteering position in my local hospital within the next few weeks which I am really looking forward to I also have clinical work observation lined up, a GP visit and a week where I'll spend each day in a different department or ward.

How about you? it's been so difficult trying to organise things!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yeah RS is great; my favourite I'm OCR.

It is so difficult to organise! That sounds great Which charity is it? I've done a couple of days in a GP surgery, have 2 days in Neonatal ward coming up, 3 days in another hospital, not sure which department, and a week in my town's tiny cottage hospital with one ward. I volunteer at my local hospital but only once every other week.

I'm assuming you're at private/grammar school what with doing 14 GCSEs and an AS?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by baldwel)
    Yeah RS is great; my favourite I'm OCR.

It is so difficult to organise! That sounds great Which charity is it? I've done a couple of days in a GP surgery, have 2 days in Neonatal ward coming up, 3 days in another hospital, not sure which department, and a week in my town's tiny cottage hospital with one ward. I volunteer at my local hospital but only once every other week.

I'm assuming you're at private/grammar school what with doing 14 GCSEs and an AS?
    Ah I was WJEC, what topic are you looking at just now? I loved looking at all of the moral issues, it was so fascinating

Your work experience sounds amazing! I truly underestimated how difficult it would be to get things organised. I don't know if this is offered near you, but a few weeks ago I was a mock patient for the medicial students in my local university, before the OSCE examinations. That was amazing, I learned so much from it and it counts as experience. You could maybe look in to whether it is offered near you

Actually no, I'm in a state high school in a deprived area so my grades came as quite a shock to everyone haha! Most people assume I'm from a private school though, which is actually pretty funny! what about you, are you a private or high school student?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Ah I was WJEC, what topic are you looking at just now? I loved looking at all of the moral issues, it was so fascinating

Your work experience sounds amazing! I truly underestimated how difficult it would be to get things organised. I don't know if this is offered near you, but a few weeks ago I was a mock patient for the medicial students in my local university, before the OSCE examinations. That was amazing, I learned so much from it and it counts as experience. You could maybe look in to whether it is offered near you

Actually no, I'm in a state high school in a deprived area so my grades came as quite a shock to everyone haha! Most people assume I'm from a private school though, which is actually pretty funny! what about you, are you a private or high school student?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    We're looking at The Moral Argument

Wow that sounds so amazing! That'd be great.

You must be so clever to have achieved those in a state school, let alone in a deprived area. Well done I'm state educated too
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chlorophile)
    That's true. Well the Geography course looks like a lot of fun too, I just couldn't cope with having to study people
    This made me laugh so much.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    We're looking at The Moral Argument

Wow that sounds so amazing! That'd be great.

You must be so clever to have achieved those in a state school, let alone in a deprived area. Well done I'm state educated too
    I appreciate there is a good sentiment behind it - but I find this so patronising :lol:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ibac)
    I have chosen it because I think it's the right faculty to me. They are all on the same levels(even if maybe I prefer Philosophy) and I think that in my future I could easily change my plans.
    I'm a little bit concerned about being rejected by Oxford, are the other uni courses good as well?
    And what about you?
    I also, think PPE is right for me, because it offers a very broad knowledge and a "whole" view of how the world works. I prefer Politics and Philosophy before Economics, but I don't want to skip that part, because I think it is a very important part Because the course is so broad I have many different options after graduating, which is great! I have looked into LSE and KCL. I have heard that Durham, Manchester and UCL should be good too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lucilou101)
    I appreciate there is a good sentiment behind it - but I find this so patronising :lol:
    Sorry I read it back and it does. It wasn't intended in that manner.:ashamed2: I didn't mean you can't achieve if you're from a deprived area. I just meant it's harder to do well if your school has limited resources so can't employ high quality teachers, and hence you have to be more intelligent to do well then you would in a private school

ReputationRep:
    Sorry I read it back and it does. It wasn't intended in that manner.:ashamed2: I didn't mean you can't achieve if you're from a deprived area. I just meant it's harder to do well if your school has limited resources so can't employ high quality teachers, and hence you have to be more intelligent to do well then you would in a private school
    I know what you meant, I don't think it was bad. What you said was true, being in a deprived area means less chances (hence my struggle with work experience), although I guess if you work anything is possible That's what I found out anyway haha, getting 14A*s was not something I had anticipated happening last year!

What universities (other than Oxford) are you thinking of?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I know what you meant, I don't think it was bad. What you said was true, being in a deprived area means less chances (hence my struggle with work experience), although I guess if you work anything is possible That's what I found out anyway haha, getting 14A*s was not something I had anticipated happening last year!

What universities (other than Oxford) are you thinking of?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Ah that's okay then

I like the look of Imperial but for some reason it puts me off that there would only be science and maths students there. Also queens belfast and KCL You?

ReputationRep:
    Ah that's okay then

I like the look of Imperial but for some reason it puts me off that there would only be science and maths students there. Also queens belfast and KCL You?
    That's actually true, hadn't thought about that properly for Imperial!

I'm thinking of Glasgow, Leeds and possibly UCL or Bristol

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Apply!! You get 5 choices and in the end you only get to go to one so you may as well try!

ReputationRep:
    Any other hopeful Oxford medics?
    I'd love to apply to Oxford honestly, not sure if I'd get accepted but it's worth a shot!

GCSEs: 14A*s
    AS-Levels: Religious Studies (already completed AS Level got an A ), Biology, Chemistry, Maths and English. Hoping to continue all 4 on to A2������
    Course: Medicine
    College: I can't decide between Christ Church and St John's, both look amazing!

Hope I can talk to some of you other hopeful medicine applicants, or just any Oxford applicants in general

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Hello I'm a hopeful medic looking to apply to Oxford too!
    My stats are: 10A*s at GCSE, currently doing Bio, Chem, Physics and Maths at AS
    Haven't started looking into colleges yet!
    What other unis are you looking at? I'm thinking Imperial, QMUL and Kings probably

Also have you/when will you start UKCAT practice?!?

ReputationRep:
    Anyone looking into maths or maybe economics ?

GCSE grades: 10 A*, A in add maths (FSMQ) and an A in english language
    A-Levels: Maths and Further Maths (Pre U), Economics , History and French
    Course: possibly maths and philosophy ?
    College: st Annes

ReputationRep:
    I also, think PPE is right for me, because it offers a very broad knowledge and a "whole" view of how the world works. I prefer Politics and Philosophy before Economics, but I don't want to skip that part, because I think it is a very important part Because the course is so broad I have many different options after graduating, which is great! I have looked into LSE and KCL. I have heard that Durham, Manchester and UCL should be good too.
    Yeah, I want to apply for Oxford,Lse,Ucl,kcl and Warwick!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ibac)
    Yeah, I want to apply for Oxford,Lse,Ucl,kcl and Warwick!
    Sounds good I am considering the ones I wrote, and Warwick, which I forgot about Not sure yet though!

ReputationRep:
    How far has everyone got with their choices and applications? Anyone started on the personal statement yet?

ReputationRep:
    I'm looking into economics and management
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    How far has everyone got with their choices and applications? Anyone started on the personal statement yet?
    Bit early for that, isn't it?! I started mine barely a month before the deadline.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.