Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What career do you intend to go into and why? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samba)
    Because both your long and short term memory are sub par, and you struggle to connect dots. Just as an example you quoted something I said, and then went on to say the exact same thing to le nombre at the end of the same post lol. You make assumptions that could then get you into trouble because of the memory issues. You didn't even know what I meant by a judicial appointment, and asked if I meant a solicitor or a barrister. I've no (well little) experience with a law degree no, but I've got a lot of experience with the law.

And I don't think people are looking at 'what job can possibly get me the most money and prestige lol' - they are looking at a path, and then looking to reach the top of it [which obviously comes with money and prestige ] Obviously you need to reassess along the way, but having a baseline is a good thing.
    Yes I clearly have a terrible memory and cannot connect dots, that's how I got a 2.1 in my analytical degree requiring a great deal of knowledge and cases to be remembered...your logic is infallible! I don't have any 'memory issues' and I certainly don't care for your opinion of my memory based on one or two posts on here. Lots of posts on here with people saying 'I want X job because money' so yes, that is what people are looking at. Think what you want.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by infairverona)
    Yes I clearly have a terrible memory and cannot connect dots, that's how I got a 2.1 in my analytical degree requiring a great deal of knowledge and cases to be remembered...your logic is infallible! I don't have any 'memory issues' and I certainly don't care for your opinion of my memory based on one or two posts on here. Lots of posts on here with people saying 'I want X job because money' so yes, that is what people are looking at. Think what you want.
    The fact you got a 2.1, especially if you worked hard, just reinforces my point.

ReputationRep:
    Intended career: Engineering in Oil&Gas

Reasoning: I think I will enjoy work as an engineer, but I want to go into the highest paid sector. There are also travel oppurtunities available at the top companies, and I'm quite interested in seeing different parts of the world (as long as I won't be murdered.)

Steps: Achieve a 2:1 in MEng Chemical Engineering, get onto a year long placement in oil&gas, possibly some summer placements too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samba)
    The fact you got a 2.1, especially if you worked hard, just reinforces my point.
    I didn't work hard. Not that this is relevant, would love to see what you get in a law degree and how far you get with a superiority complex tbh.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by infairverona)
    I didn't work hard. Not that this is relevant, would love to see what you get in a law degree and how far you get with a superiority complex tbh.
    I'll be disappointed if I don't top my class. That said, I have an unfair advantage

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rileystringer)
    At the moment, I am confident that I either want to become a Primary School Teacher (Key Stage 2) or a psychologist. I am more passionate towards teaching, however.

I would like to be a teacher because, obviously, it's well-paid and you get great holidays. This means you can earn enough money to enjoy your life, but still have time! teachers work about 195/365 days a year so they get 170 days off. How great is that??? and still you start at £21,804 per annum minimum.

but also I enjoy working with children, it's simple and interesting.

I am taking A-Level Psychology because it seems interesting, also I look forward to the Child Psychology area of it.
    If only it was 170 days off... Holidays are spent catching up on marking and planning, and you're normally ill for the first few days after you stop as your body just gives up. Same for shorter working days, evenings/weekends are spent marking and planning too, it's definitely not a job to go into for the free time!!

ReputationRep:
    Career: I'd like to pursue academia, conducting research and becoming a lecturer, hopefully progressing to become a professor in the distant future. Academia, in my opinion, is an excellent way to explore your passions. With a Philosophy and Theology degree there is, admittedly, no specific career path other than education; not a problem if that is where you're headed anyway.

If that falls through, I would be interested in the computing industry.

Reasoning: Philosophy and Theology are two subjects which interest me immensely and fully accommodate my skill set. I find that few other subjects can draw together Maths, History, English and Computing into one degree; it's diversity is fantastic. Also, critically analysing the foundations upon which religions are built is personally and intellectually thought-provoking and stimulating, not to mention increasingly relevant in this day and age. (Rise of Islam, for instance.) The skills developed are also desirable - the ability to articulate, to reason logically, to highlight flaws in someone's argument, to think abstractly - these skills are required for almost any profession.

Steps: After studying Philosophy and Theology at university, I intend to continue to Masters and PhD. Having completed the PhD, I'd like to consider looking for lectureship positions. Obviously, funding and availability will provide some difficulties; for this reason, I should think that I would enroll in a sixth form tutoring post or perhaps a secondary school teacher. Another possibility is converting my degree skills to the IT industry and seek some temporary employment there.

Anyone else interested in academia?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChickenMadness)
    Because they are lol. Thats why the salaries are high. If they weren't in demand they wouldn't be payed anything.
    "because they are lol".... erm do you actually have any evidence to back up what you're saying about them being in demand and that they are in demand at any level of skill? How many people leave Hertfordshire University and go into the games industry and get paid over 25k?

what sort of logic is "if they were in demand they wouldn't be paid anything" technically everything is in demand if every paying job is paid something from scrubbing the floors in sainsburys to a toilet attendant.

It all seems a bit like wishful thinking at the moment to me. i can imagine you graduating, followed by a post on here "i choose the wrong degree i cant get a job"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RiverSpark)
    If only it was 170 days off... Holidays are spent catching up on marking and planning, and you're normally ill for the first few days after you stop as your body just gives up. Same for shorter working days, evenings/weekends are spent marking and planning too, it's definitely not a job to go into for the free time!!
    My dad's a teacher and, to be honest, school work only takes up one or two days of his holiday. Summer holidays are completely work-free, also. Not many professions can boast six successive weeks of relaxation.

ReputationRep:
    Nanotechnology researcher/developer/entrepreneur, also if possible alongside this, social entrepreneur.

Because I want to have a positive impact on the future for everybody who comes after us and lives alongside us.

OK Miss World speech over:ninja:
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    I'd like to become a journalist/feature writer for the entertainment industry. I'm going to Kent uni to study Journalism in September, and I'm doing it because I love writing etc.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I want to be a speech language therapist for children. I've always wanted to do something working with children, but I'm not smart enough to become a psychologist, which is what I used to want to do.

I'm hopefully going to study linguistics at either Aberdeen or Bangor next September.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fastlove)
    "because they are lol".... erm do you actually have any evidence to back up what you're saying about them being in demand and that they are in demand at any level of skill? How many people leave Hertfordshire University and go into the games industry and get paid over 25k?

what sort of logic is "if they were in demand they wouldn't be paid anything" technically everything is in demand if every paying job is paid something from scrubbing the floors in sainsburys to a toilet attendant.

It all seems a bit like wishful thinking at the moment to me. i can imagine you graduating, followed by a post on here "i choose the wrong degree i cant get a job"
    out of the 2 uni courses i wanted to go to NUA and herts. its around 90% in the first 6 months.

You're a know-it-all child. Your silly response is understandable. Go watch Willy Wonka and the chocolate factory. You may learn something lmfao.

ReputationRep:
    I'm studying Spanish and German currently and will gain a double degree in business from a German university at the same time.I'd like to do a masters in Int/Trans and gain work as an interpreter or using the skills in a company.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by teen1234)
    Mate, thats dentistry.
    You dont make sheeeet in medicine. When you do, you'll probably have kids and a wife lol
    I can't think of a situaton where somebody is like "Is anyone a dentist here?" Dentistry is not as sexy as medicine. All the dorks do dentistry.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChickenMadness)
    out of the 2 uni courses i wanted to go to NUA and herts. its around 90% in the first 6 months.

You're a know-it-all child. Your silly response is understandable. Go watch Willy Wonka and the chocolate factory. You may learn something lmfao.
    90% employement means any job half of those could be mcdonalds or something else completely unrelated to 'games art' and you have not shown me the salary or that any skill is welcome in the industry...

LOL. Am I a 'know-it-all child' because you have realized you are unable to provide what you're are saying with any statistical evidence but only 'because they are lol'. Quite ironic being told to watch Willy Wonka by someone doing a soft degree like games art lmfao. you have regressed to insults i think i have spoiled your dream

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fastlove)
    90% employement means any job half of those could be mcdonalds or something else completely unrelated to 'games art' and you have not shown me the salary or that any skill is welcome in the industry...

LOL. Am I a 'know-it-all child' because you have realized you are unable to provide what you're are saying with any statistical evidence but only 'because they are lol'. Quite ironic being told to watch Willy Wonka by someone doing a soft degree like games art lmfao. you have regressed to insults i think i have spoiled your dream
    lmao. No because you're a typical know-it-all child and are being very silly making comments on a subject you have no knowledge of Do your own research lmfao.

"soft degree like games art lmfao". One of the reasons why it's in demand. Because of uneducated people like you spouting mis-information and discouraging people from studying 3D/VFX related stuff lel. You literally have no idea of anything relating to this subject which is why it's difficult for you to understand things.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Marky Mark)
    I can't think of a situaton where somebody is like "Is anyone a dentist here?" Dentistry is not as sexy as medicine. All the dorks do dentistry.
    All the dorks do dentistry? Lmfao, pretty sure its the other way around but whatever. Some of the dumbest comments ive ever heard

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by teen1234)
    All the dorks do dentistry? Lmfao, pretty sure its the other way around but whatever. Some of the dumbest comments ive ever heard

VS

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Marky Mark)

VS

The greatest piece of evidence in the history of mankind.
    You also said that EVERY person studying pharmacy is a medicine/dentistry reject lmao

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.