Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

should university be free but harder to get into? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TenOfThem)
    There should be a wider range of courses and routes available IMO

Someone who scores less than 50% in an exam should not be continuing to study that subject

People with a C at GCSE should not be taking A Levels in that subject

People with less than a C at A Level should not be continuing with a degree in that subject

BUT

There should be a wider range of qualifications - ones that students and employers understand

If Btec courses were more rigorous in their approach and OND/HND courses were re-established as serious options - or apprenticeships were designed to ensure proper progression - then there would be no need for everyone to feel a degree was the only way to go

On the other hand - I have no issue with there being degrees in anything that a person wants to study

I think that the cost of a degree to the student should be in inverse proportion to the usefulness of the degree to the country/economy/etc

Disagree with the fact you said that people with a C in GCSE shouldn't do an A Level in that subject.
    I got a C in both Business and Sociology GCSE, and took them both for A Level, I got A's in AS year for both of those subjects and I'm predicted A*s for them this coming results day.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by einnap101)
    Disagree with the fact you said that people with a C in GCSE shouldn't do an A Level in that subject.
    I got a C in both Business and Sociology GCSE, and took them both for A Level, I got A's in AS year for both of those subjects and I'm predicted A*s for them this coming results day.
    There are always exceptions to prove rules

Perhaps your GCSE teacher was not good but your A level teacher was

Perhaps your work ethic improved dramatically

Perhaps ... ... ...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TenOfThem)
    There are always exceptions to prove rules

Perhaps your GCSE teacher was not good but your A level teacher was

Perhaps your work ethic improved dramatically

Perhaps ... ... ...
    Of course but what I'm saying is that if I wasn't allowed to take those subjects because of my GCSE's, then I wouldn't have been able to show that I actually can get good grades by working hard.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by einnap101)
    Of course but what I'm saying is that if I wasn't allowed to take those subjects because of my GCSE's, then I wouldn't have been able to show that I actually can get good grades by working hard.
    My statement was pretty general

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maker)
    University and ploys used to be free but harder to get into and fewer people went. Now almost everyone can go,some with low A level grades studying joke degrees.

Would people want much tougher entry requirements say minimum bcc but no tuition fees. This would mean a lot fewer students and probably fewer unis and degree courses. The upside is degrees will gain the respect they once had with employers and the public.

I think lots of people just go to uni for the sake of the "uni experience" rather than the actual qualification. I agree with what you are saying and I think the government should encourage more apprenticships and study while you work schemes. At the end of the day, there are some students who come out of uni but are totally ill equipped for the world of work. Nothing beats proper work experience even if don't have a degree. Some degrees are just not worth the paper they are written on to employers and not to mention the student debt to pay off in the future.

ReputationRep:
    Would it be fair to suggest vocational degrees be free?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RSmith1007)
    That's rubbish, I put lots of time and effort into all my A Levels and will most likely come out with CCC, I would also argue that I put in more effort than some people getting BBB+. I'm just not as naturally clever, for my maths I went from being targeted and E to getting a C and that was through hard work and putting in hours of extra work a week.
    When you need heart surgery would you prefer it to be done by a hard working village idiot or someone "naturally clever" that knows what they are doing ?

Hard work is only part of the story. It is an important part. A lot of this thread seems to be about giving lazy thick people a "degree" when they should be told they are not academic and they are too lazy. If they need time to grow up they can do it at their parents house and at their parents expense or in some **** hole where at least some will drag themselves out and better themselves. Wishful thinking.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think university is easier to get into by any means, our generation have been much more pushed to go to university. With university fairs and more advertising over the past few years to attract young people to think about university as they get older. I remember being in senior school and there would be a new university at least every three months teaching students how important and valuable a degree will be for them, also in college the tutors made me and fellow students feel like university was the only choice (even though I wanted to go to university anyway). This is just my opinion, but I did have to get ABB to get into the University of Liverpool to study my degree.

ReputationRep:
    But you got realise that some people go to university often as something that they want to go not just because they want a job. For example I want to go to prove to people I can do this level of work and also for job reasons. I also want to do it to improve my mental health problems

I want to have something major to focus on rather than stay at meaningless job long term with no prospects or promotions. I have been in various firms and there's been no offer of better job. I can't be like the sen kids I used to go to school who left school with nothing and are still working in McDonalds 12 years later flipping burgers. I would do these jobs as a temporary (whilst I am studying, looking for better jobs) but never long term. The words severe profound depression long long long term.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.