The Student Room Group

How much student loan are you getting?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by C-Rooney
Why would you want to distance yourself from your parents for such a prolonged period? Do you hate them? Lol

No.. I just absolutely love independence and having my own place (albeit living with other students) and going back home to a tiny town with 30,000 population.. I'm a city person through and through.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 161
Original post by Ruffiio
No.. I just absolutely love independence and having my own place (albeit living with other students)

Yeah, student accommodation would be fun, but I hate messy people.
Yeah, student accommodation would be fun, but I hate messy people.

True, in first year I got put with people who would never wash their dishes, there would be stacks upon stacks of plates in the corner next to the sink for months, sometimes there was even food on the plates all that time and the food leftovers stuck to the plate after being there for so long that you had to throw them away basically. And they would never clean up after a flat party with bottles and cans all over the place. I had to clean the entire kitchen for about 3 hours at one point because everyone else had gone off home for Easter and there was a imminent communal area inspection.

This is why I only bring 1 plate and one set of cutlery that way I have to force myself to wash up every day instead of bringing multiple stuff and getting lazy and stacking it all up ontop of each other.
Original post by Ruffiio
Anyone else got 50/52 week contract to get away from parents for as long as possible? :rofl:

I was going to but changed my mind about that halls :frown: and went into uni halls instead. Missed out on so many benefits

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 164
Original post by Ruffiio
True, in first year I got put with people who would never wash their dishes, there would be stacks upon stacks of plates in the corner next to the sink for months, sometimes there was even food on the plates all that time and the food leftovers stuck to the plate after being there for so long that you had to throw them away basically. And they would never clean up after a flat party with bottles and cans all over the place. I had to clean the entire kitchen for about 3 hours at one point because everyone else had gone off home for Easter and there was a imminent communal area inspection.

This is why I only bring 1 plate and one set of cutlery that way I have to force myself to wash up every day instead of bringing multiple stuff and getting lazy and stacking it all up ontop of each other.

Ahh, that sounds horrific! Tensions must of been high as a result of their lack of hygiene? Some people are just inconsiderate. How many students do you share with currently?
Ahh, that sounds horrific! Tensions must of been high as a result of their lack of hygiene? Some people are just inconsiderate. How many students do you share with currently?

One of my other flatmates got really angry over all the mess all the time, sometimes he would confront the people who was making the mess asking them if all of the mess was theirs but they denied it even though everyone knew it was theirs.. :confused:

I very rarely get angry at people though, you'd have to try really hard to make me angry so i didn't really care all that much about their mess, I mean I like a clean flat and all but yeah, I'm not cleaning up their crap but i didn't necessarily go around making a big deal of it and increasing tensions around the place. I'm back at home at the moment but I'll be sharing with 5 other people again next year.

I can imagine people who go ensuite being angry about the mess though, people who go ensuite tend to be overreacting clean freaks.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by David B
£7100!!?? That's a lot indeed. What kind of Accommodation are you getting?

Catered, can't cook much more than toast. Hopefully once I've sorted myself out I can save a fortune in my 2nd year!
Original post by rhiannon277
Catered, can't cook much more than toast. Hopefully once I've sorted myself out I can save a fortune in my 2nd year!

So you can't even follow simple cooking instructions on the back of a piece of food packaging and use an oven or a microwave? :rolleyes:
Reply 168
Maintenance Loan: £7,100
Maintenance Grant: £0
Bursaries: £1000
Scholarships: £1000
Savings: £0
Money from Parents: None

Accommodation Cost: Around £7800 (39 Weeks)
Weekly spend after Accommodation: £34

Will deco need to get a part time job during and after term. Boo hoooo
Original post by Ruffiio
Anyone else got 50/52 week contract to get away from parents for as long as possible? :rofl:

Me! :tongue: I loved first year and having my own place and I was so sad when I had to move back home for summer because it just felt like all my independence was slipping away :')

I've got a 52 week contract for my new house come September that I'll hopefully renew for another year.
Original post by SophieSmall
Me! :tongue: I loved first year and having my own place and I was so sad when I had to move back home for summer because it just felt like all my independence was slipping away :')

I've got a 52 week contract for my new house come September that I'll hopefully renew for another year.

It's the best thing ever isn't it. :u: My place is only for 50 weeks (private halls), I don't know why they don't just throw an extra 2 weeks in there to be honest..maybe it's because they need time for people to move out, clean the place up if need be and do any repairs ready for the next tenants. I'm hoping I could ask to move into my 3rd year accommodation a bit earlier than usual after second year finishes. (I'm moving in on 6th September but my accommodation ends on 22 August next year so maybe I could move into my 3rd year flat come the end of my tenancy.) It seems a bit pointless to move back home for 2 weeks then move back out again otherwise. :s-smilie:

Living independently over the summer next year is going to be the best thing ever, I can't wait already! :excited:
We should get together so we don't have to move back home after graduation :smug: :wink:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Ruffiio
It's the best thing ever isn't it. :u: My place is only for 50 weeks (private halls), I don't know why they don't just throw an extra 2 weeks in there to be honest..maybe it's because they need time for people to move out, clean the place up if need be and do any repairs ready for the next tenants. I'm hoping I could ask to move into my 3rd year accommodation a bit earlier than usual after second year finishes. (I'm moving in on 6th September but my accommodation ends on 22 August next year so maybe I could move into my 3rd year flat come the end of my tenancy.) It seems a bit pointless to move back home for 2 weeks then move back out again otherwise. :s-smilie:

Living independently over the summer next year is going to be the best thing ever, I can't wait already! :excited:
We should get together so we don't have to move back home after graduation :smug: :wink:

Aye that does seem a bit pointless, the accommodation I had this year allowed people to stay over the summer if they paid extra so they didn't have to move out. I didn't have the money to do that though >.<

I can't wait either :tongue: phahah of course such a fab idea :')
Maintenance Loan: £3862
Maintenance Grant: £3387
Bursaries: £0
Scholarships: £0
Savings:
Money from Parents: ?

Accommodation Cost: £122 p/w - £5133 total + £400 deposit
Weekly spend after Accommodation: £44 p/w (excluding mobile phone bills and contact lens payments) -
£42 after phone and contact lens payments.
Reply 173
Original post by gazebi
Maintenance Loan: £3862
Bursaries: £0
Savings:
Money from Parents: ?

Accommodation Cost: £122 p/w - £5133 total + £400 deposit
Weekly spend after Accommodation: £44 p/w (excluding mobile phone bills and contact lens payments) -
£42 after phone and contact lens payments.

What university you planning on studying at?
Original post by David B
What university you planning on studying at?

Hertfordshire, some expensive accommodation there, lmao :frown:
Reply 175
Original post by gazebi
Hertfordshire, some expensive accommodation there, lmao :frown:

No kidding. Is it a en-suite room?
Original post by David B
No kidding. Is it a en-suite room?

Yep, the cheapest en suite option they have
Maintenance Loan: £4028
Bursaries: £500
Money from Parents: probably minus money as I often have to send my mum money so she can afford the bills.

Accommodation Cost: £72 p/w 52 week contract so total £3744
Weekly spend after Accommodation: After paying off overdraft I'll have around £70 a week, I'll probably only use £30 a week on everything including drinks and going out but a lot of my money seems to go to my family to help them out so I always seem to end up in my overdraft.
Reply 178
Original post by gazebi
Yep, the cheapest en suite option they have

I chose a en-suite for my first option but didn't get it :frown: Don't you like the idea of sharing with 5+ other people. :wink:

Original post by SophieSmall
Maintenance Loan: £4028
Bursaries: £500
Money from Parents: probably minus money as I often have to send my mum money so she can afford the bills.

Accommodation Cost: £72 p/w 52 week contract so total £3744
Weekly spend after Accommodation: After paying off overdraft I'll have around £70 a week, I'll probably only use £30 a week on everything including drinks and going out but a lot of my money seems to go to my family to help them out so I always seem to end up in my overdraft.

What university are you attending? And that's great that you're able to help out your mum despite been on a budget yourself.
Original post by David B
I chose a en-suite for my first option but didn't get it :frown: Don't you like the idea of sharing with 5+ other people. :wink:

What university are you attending? And that's great that you're able to help out your mum despite been on a budget yourself.

I go to Liverpool John Moores, and yeah i'm glad I can help I guess.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending