Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NinjaPandaa)
    Yeah they're all fairly similar the rankings tbh

Where else are you applying?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    i want to try applying to ucl. their entry requirements are A*AA (A* in maths)... i thought that you had to get 90%+ in c1 c2 and stats and get 90%+ in a2 to get overall A* so i don't think i'll be able to get that:confused::confused:... but other than that, i've looked at birmingham, surrey, york so far

what are you applying for?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by doublecc123)
    i want to try applying to ucl. their entry requirements are A*AA (A* in maths)... i thought that you had to get 90%+ in c1 c2 and stats and get 90%+ in a2 to get overall A* so i don't think i'll be able to get that:confused::confused:... but other than that, i've looked at birmingham, surrey, york so far

what are you applying for?
    Ah cool and actually it's just an 80% average for your whole a level with 90% average in c3 and c4 so you still just need 480ums but 180 of those must come from c3 and c4 I'm pretty sure

Ah I'm just going for straight econ at cambridge warwick durham nottingham and leeds

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NinjaPandaa)
    Ah cool and actually it's just an 80% average for your whole a level with 90% average in c3 and c4 so you still just need 480ums but 180 of those must come from c3 and c4 I'm pretty sure

Ah I'm just going for straight econ at cambridge warwick durham nottingham and leeds

Posted from TSR Mobile

i just looked it up on the internet and you're right haha! in c1 and c2 i got an A but in stats i got a B. can i still get A*?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by doublecc123)
    i just looked it up on the internet and you're right haha! in c1 and c2 i got an A but in stats i got a B. can i still get A*?
    Yep pretty sure you can, because the average of 90ums in each of c3 and c4 would cancel the B in stats out

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wakawakawaka)
    Hey, gonna jump in this thread if ydm. Hoping for some help on my options, it would definitely put my mind at ease haha. I Got 11A* 2 A's at GCSE, and AAAB (maths) at AS. I'm taking further maths to AS in my own time next year. Where would i stand in terms of having a chance at the top unis. Would the Big 5 be out of reach because of the B being in maths?
    tbh yes

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mike_123)
    tbh yes
    Fak. Will good predictions make up for it slightly maybe?? no?

ReputationRep:
    Fak. Will good predictions make up for it slightly maybe?? no?
    Maybe, and also if there was a genuine reason why you only got a B, but you'd still have to put down the grade on UCAS. Not the end of the world, you can still apply to outside top 5 or alternatively you can get an A* in a2 and apply post a2.

ReputationRep:
    Does panic count as a reason haha. I got 98% in C1 but the other two are awful, especially considering i worked consistently at 90% throughout the year, so i was hoping a reference would help saying it was anomalous or something? Sorry to labour over the point, but would really like to make sure there is little/no hope for an application to the top 5 this cycle so i can get my uni choices in order. I appreciate it.
    This is just my opinion, but it seems very unlikely that a uni that wants A* maths to give you an offer. You might stand a chance at Warwick since they ask for an A, but even then it's tough since all these top 5 are massively oversubscribed, so they can filter and choose accordingly.

ReputationRep:
    Does panic count as a reason haha. I got 98% in C1 but the other two are awful, especially considering i worked consistently at 90% throughout the year, so i was hoping a reference would help saying it was anomalous or something? Sorry to labour over the point, but would really like to make sure there is little/no hope for an application to the top 5 this cycle so i can get my uni choices in order. I appreciate it.
    Tbh, I personally think you should apply to two ambitious ones, you won't really know till you try and you can choose a back up uni as one of your choices. Honestly, aim high and have a back up as well, you'll regret not trying because someone said your chances were slim!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the encouragement

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the encouragement
    Are you applying for straight econ?

ReputationRep:
    Yup, L100. Wbu?

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I am intending to apply to Cambridge, Warwick, Durham and Bath for Economics for 2015 entry. Last week, I achieved 4 high A’s in AS level Maths, Economics, Physics and Geography, and also an A in A2 Critical Thinking (I completed the AS in this during my GCSE’s).

For next year, I have definitely decided to study for A2 Maths, Physics and Economics; also I want to study for two of the three out of A2 Geography, AS Further Maths and an economics-related EPQ. Which two of the three would give me the best chance of getting an offer at these uni's?

ReputationRep:
    Yup, L100. Wbu?
    Maths and econ. I'd say you still have a shot just make sure you have a strong PS and apply strategically (you have strong GCSE's and some uni's place more emphasis on them Maybe also get you teacher to mention in your reference that you've been performing well in maths throughout the year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MattEvans)
    Hi, I am intending to apply to Cambridge, Warwick, Durham and Bath for Economics for 2015 entry. Last week, I achieved 4 high A’s in AS level Maths, Economics, Physics and Geography, and also an A in A2 Critical Thinking (I completed the AS in this during my GCSE’s).

For next year, I have definitely decided to study for A2 Maths, Physics and Economics; also I want to study for two of the three out of A2 Geography, AS Further Maths and an economics-related EPQ. Which two of the three would give me the best chance of getting an offer at these uni's?
    I think there's different advantages. Definitely do further maths as it's usually stated as highly recommended (or thereabouts), but EPQ isn't offered on, especially as many schools don't offer it. However doing it would give you a level of depth in your PS and in interviews that others wouldn't have. I would say that if you're personal statement is looking very good in terms of the books etc. , and you feel you could talk about any higher level economics outside the current curriculum that interests you, then you should just do Geography and Further Maths AS.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sr234)
    Maths and econ. I'd say you still have a shot just make sure you have a strong PS and apply strategically (you have strong GCSE's and some uni's place more emphasis on them Maybe also get you teacher to mention in your reference that you've been performing well in maths throughout the year.
    Thanks! I was actually considering that course, but wasn't really sure so i decided to cop out and take more maths involved modules if i wanted within the Econ course lol. Yeah, it's why i may apply to Oxford and Warwick because i believe them to have high gcse standards.

ReputationRep:

Take AS FM and EPQ. Lesser workload and looks better.

ReputationRep:

3 places the same as me! I'd say AS further maths and EPQ, especially for cambridge as you'll want to have something to talk about if you get an interview

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    How much work experience have people got?

ReputationRep:
    How much work experience have people got?
    Literally none but my friend who's also applying for econ has plenty including at a bank in Hong Kong

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.