Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What were your "wow we're poor" or "wow we are well off" moments when you were a kid? Watch

• Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SophieSmall)
    For me there were a few things that made it plainly obvious we were struggling financially top ones would probably be.

- When my mum had to work Christmas eve and Christmas day when we were kids because she couldn't afford not to take the shifts.

-When my packed lunches were bread and butter (before they started offering us free school lunches).

-Most of my clothes were second hand or hand me downs, own clothes days at school were just a recipe for bullying.

-When a pack of biscuits or crisps was a major treat

- the look of confusion and pity on friends faces when they asked me what I got for Christmas or birthdays, that one was probably one the worst.

-hearing my mum cry at night on the phone about money, that's when I realised mainly and stopped asking for things.

-never using the heating

Despite all that I had a great childhood my mum always took great care of us and despite being poor we hardly ever felt it as children.
    :console:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheTechN1304)
    I'm gonna sound like a real spoilt ******** for saying this, but growing up I didn't really take much notice of my parents' financial situation, and thought everything I had was normal, as the people I was surrounded with were just like me. The first time I realised 'wow, we're well off' was admittedly only a few years ago, and was when my dad was telling me and my brothers off for complaining about having to tidy the table and he said: "I pay over £60,000 a year for all four of your school fees, we have 3 cars, 2 houses in England and a house abroad, I take you on fancy holidays costing in excess of £20,000, your mother doesn't have to work and can stay at home to look after you. Don't be ungrateful".
    Similar to me. Like we would always go to Austria in autumn to go to our chalet and ski, and my dad would always get angry when we complained, but never really realised it wasn't normal. For a while at least.

ReputationRep:
    when i had the same phone for 5 years and it is breaking into pieces and i am still using it because my family still cannot afford to buy me a new modern smartphone.
    and also getting no Christmas or birthday present for 3 years in a row

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by maths learner)
    Pretty much always knew we were well off. I think I first realised when I spent more time with nanny then my parents as they were so busy working. And then when I went to school, and this person (now my best friend) was eating bread and jam sandwiches and literally nothing else, and then I opened my lunch box and saw loads of expensive food. Finally secondary school, when peoples parents would pick them up, and James (the chaffuer) would pick me up in the limo. That made it stand out most.
    You got picked up in a limo everyday from school??? :eek: I thought that only happened in movies lol!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SophieSmall)
    Ah that's ****, people should never expect that. It's down right rude.
    But most people do. You learn to deal with it :P. Like I never told my gf anything about money until 2 months into the relationship. Then it became kind of obvious when my mum bought her some Louis Vuitton shoes, as a presnt for becoming 'a part of the family'.

ReputationRep:
    when i lived with my parents i think it was rather average. It was a very very closed knit community so if something was wrong i would not be suprised if the other residents help out. When i moved into my grandparents house (after i got over leaving my parents) i quickly noticed they were very well of. The biggest thing was the size of my bedroom, this sounds dickish, but it was significatly bigger than any of my friends.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Secretnerd123)
    You got picked up in a limo everyday from school??? :eek: I thought that only happened in movies lol!
    Not everyday, but if I had to go somewhere like piano practice afer I would be. sometimes I'd ask can I get the bus home to try and fit in, but as you can imagine after people saw me get into the car it didn't really work aha.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fullofsurprises)
    Did anyone have a "wow we're average" moment? :lol:
    Just had that moment right now lol. My family isn't exactly poor and we're hardly either. But reading how poor people are/were on this thread makes me feel so upset. Alternatively, i'm like :eek: when I read how rich people on here are/were. I feel so grateful

very interesting thread OP. It's refreshing to have threads like these rather than the usual crap I see everyday

ReputationRep:
    Not everyday, but if I had to go somewhere like piano practice afer I would be. sometimes I'd ask can I get the bus home to try and fit in, but as you can imagine after people saw me get into the car it didn't really work aha.
    That's hilarious.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L'Evil Fish)
    That's hilarious.
    The attempt at trying to fit in?

ReputationRep:
    Just had that moment right now lol. My family isn't exactly poor and we're hardly either. But reading how poor people are/were on this thread makes me feel so upset. Alternatively, i'm like :eek: when I read how rich people on here are/were. I feel so grateful

very interesting thread OP. It's refreshing to have threads like these rather than the usual crap I see everyday
    I agree. It's always nice to get perspective and you appreciate things alot more. Like even if you do have money, there still always a comparison between the friends that have more etc, it gets annoying lol.

ReputationRep:
    Do your parents still provide for you (thats if you're over 18)?

You must feel so appreciative after reading some of the posts on here right ?

ReputationRep:
    The attempt at trying to fit in?
    No the fact you had a limo pick you up, it's just funny.

Although trying to catch a bus after being seen in a limo is funny too.

I'm by no means well off but I hate the bus. I've caught it once on my own... Disgusting

ReputationRep:

I'm by no means well off but I hate the bus. I've caught it once on my own... Disgusting
    I never take the bus, too many people on it.

ReputationRep:
    Do your parents still provide for you (thats if you're over 18)?

You must feel so appreciative after reading some of the posts on here right ?

No they don't. I'm over 18 now. But I got a good job so do fine anyway . Obviously if I was in need of finance for whatever reason they would help, but they don't particulalry want to, as they want us (the kids) to learn the value of money. Which personally I think is a good idea. Yeah I do .

ReputationRep:

Oh aha. I guess. Yeah I wasn't a big fan, it was so cramped, and the bus driver was so rude!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EatAndRevise)
    I never take the bus, too many people on it.
    Ikr
    Oh aha. I guess. Yeah I wasn't a big fan, it was so cramped, and the bus driver was so rude!
    I had someone barking at me wtf
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Before parents divorce we were fine. Went out at the weekends to places and could get what I wanted. Sadly I was too young and don't remember any of the good times.

During divorce we had no money. Due to legal costs and stuff~ Still got thousands of pounds of debt from this to be paid of when we sell the house next year. Luckily my Dad's parents had a little bit set aside and would give him £50 extra for food ect each week for about 2 years. So I kept eating fine but none of the fancy taste the difference stuff ect. Say my school shoes broke i'd have to wait a couple weeks for them to be replaced. Glue came in handy.

After that we got back on our feet for a couple of years. Dad did a couple extra hours at work. We were pretty average. We would once in a while treat ourselves to some fancy food.

Then my Dad got injured and couldn't work. We are just about ok. But one surprise bill could catch us out and will mean we have to skimp and save for a while after that.

At the moment I do some gardening work a couple times a week. So end up with a bit of my own money. Much better than having a 9-5 Saturday/Sunday job. I don't use this for myself though. I give it to my dad to use for the house expenses and put aside for that random bill.

My parents had setup a savings account for me since birth and were putting in quite a bit each month. My mum continued to pay into this after the divorce. This is what I use as my personal money to pay for driving lessons and things such as a new computer.

Once I finish college next year I probably won't be going to uni. So we'll have to stay with my grandad for a year or so. Sort out all the debts left over. Then decide on what to do and see where my life is.

Overall we're not well of but then again we're one of the best places to live in the country and it is expensive here compared to other places.
    http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2...uality-of-life

ReputationRep:
    Ikr

I had someone barking at me wtf
    aha so random.

ReputationRep:
    Not really at the time but more 'we were poor' moment, but back in the day when used to get orange juice. Back then you used to be able to get 4 kinds of juice, proper fresh stuff, the normal not from concentrate stuff, from concentrate, and the actual concentrate. We always used to get the actual concentrate, came in like a coke can in the frozen section which you used to have to defrost and mix with water and put in a jug to get orange juice. Proper poverty juice.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 20, 2014
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.