Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HandmadeTurnip)
    I imagine they only schedule an interview day when they've got enough people to make it worthwhile.
    I also thought this but I can't find anybody else with an interview on the same day as me.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kara1702)
    I've spoken to lots of people who have been to Manchester for chem eng and they've all said that getting an interview gives you a "99% chance of getting an offer", and some people got their offer the next day! And given that we've gotten our application in so early and been invited to the first set of 'interviews' (which sounds more formal than the email makes it sound), I don't think we really need to worry too much about getting an offer.

As for what the interview is about, one girl who graduated chem eng there last year said she only said a handful of words because her interviewer was chatting so much about some amazing industrial process, and she barely had chance to say anything! From what I've heard it's a very informal process, and it seems to be more of a sales pitch to get us to pick Manchester as first choice, rather than to see if we're good enough to get in - I imagine they've already decided that based on our AS and predicted grades, but their policy says that they cannot offer a place unless they have 'interviewed' you. This is obviously completely different for other courses there like Physics which are massively over-subscribed, but chem eng has much less applicants per place, a huge number of spaces available and great new facilities in the new School of Chemical Engineering (taking over from the old building which was The Mill).

Hope this has helped
    Thanks for the help, was really helpful. Mind me asking where your applying and grades, hope im not being intrusive

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rdmchill)
    Thanks for the help, was really helpful. Mind me asking where your applying and grades, hope im not being intrusive
    Don't worry about it four As at AS in maths, further maths, physics and chemistry with average UMS over 90%, keeping the same subjects this year and predicted 4A*s. Applied to Bath Cambridge Edinburgh Leeds Manchester

ReputationRep:
    Iiiiiii would quite like the english department to get a wiggle on. None of this chemical engineering malarkey!

ReputationRep:
    Hi. OP, we've bumped into each other before. I'm a recent applicant. I had applied to Newcastle for ancient history, but I realised at the last moment that I much preferred the sound of the course at Manchester! It isn't my top pick, but I'd be happy to receive an offer. It was actually the enthusiasm of Origami Bullets that kept the uni in my mind!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Coffeetime)
    Hi. OP, we've bumped into each other before. I'm a recent applicant. I had applied to Newcastle for ancient history, but I realised at the last moment that I much preferred the sound of the course at Manchester! It isn't my top pick, but I'd be happy to receive an offer. It was actually the enthusiasm of Origami Bullets that kept the uni in my mind!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    No worries Good luck with your application. Manchester is my top-pick, so I'm really expecting an offer . Have you received any offers from any unis yet?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by halamadrid777)
    No worries Good luck with your application. Manchester is my top-pick, so I'm really expecting an offer . Have you received any offers from any unis yet?
    Nope.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Applied for the 4-year Physics Master degree, got an invitation a few days ago for the interview. It is not my absolute top pick, but I am really excited about it anyway!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nummedal)
    Applied for the 4-year Physics Master degree, got an invitation a few days ago for the interview. It is not my absolute top pick, but I am really excited about it anyway!!
    When is your interview?! I have one for physics on the 11/11!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rachelc142)
    When is your interview?! I have one for physics on the 11/11!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Congrats mate! Mine is 28/10!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nummedal)
    Congrats mate! Mine is 28/10!
    Ahhh congrats want to find somebody on the same day as me haha

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hey all, hope to study music at Manchester! Just sent off my application yesterday so hopefully will hear back from them soon! Any other music applicants?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Ahhh congrats want to find somebody on the same day as me haha

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Out of interest, how long did it take for Manchester to reply to your application? I'm two days in and already checking track obsessively xD

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cammybl)
    Out of interest, how long did it take for Manchester to reply to your application? I'm two days in and already checking track obsessively xD

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Exactly a week

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Oh also the interview didnt come through ucas it came as a direct email from Manchester

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Oh also the interview didnt come through ucas it came as a direct email from Manchester

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Oh ok thanks! That's what I meant though 3 out of the 5 have acknowledged my existence now, just waiting for Durham and Manchester now

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Oh ok thanks! That's what I meant though 3 out of the 5 have acknowledged my existence now, just waiting for Durham and Manchester now

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Apparently durham take ageeees !

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hahaha yeah I have heard that too! annoyingly that's my insurance :L

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Apparently durham take ageeees !

Posted from TSR Mobile
    So what course have you applied for?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    How long does Manchester take to send a acknowledged letter, I sent my application on the 7th of October

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.