The Student Room Group

Would you date a transgender person? Poll

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Mankytoes
Some interesting reading, I checked the link and he made some good points. The only thing that makes me question his stance is this part- "People who undergo sex-reassignment surgery do not change from men to women or vice versa. Rather, they become feminized men or masculinized women"- we all know that, we know they don't literally, medically, biologically become women. For me, that's like going to a funeral and someone saying "he's with Jesus now" and replying "no he isn't, he's rotting in the ground with worms eating his eyeballs". He seems to be pretending he doesn't understand the difference between sex and gender, because I can't believe he doesn't know that, which makes me question his motives.

Surely that's more a matter of manners? If someone wants to be referred to in a certain way, it's polite to accept if the request is genuine and reasonable. I really don't see how you think refusing to do that could possibly help someone? No doctors have suggested we should do so, have they?

It was basically just what the guy said about worsening a mental illness by playing along. I haven't actually ever refused to refer to anyone as they wanted to be referred to, so there's no need to be so incredulous. It just occurs to me that, if the guy in the article I linked is right, we might be making things worse.
Female-Male can be done very well & do look like men but 99% of male-female still have masculine features large hands, feet, tall, , angular features etc east Asian transgenders seem to do it the best but men over there tend to be slighter & softer features anyway
No and no.
Some interesting reading, I checked the link and he made some good points. The only thing that makes me question his stance is this part- "People who undergo sex-reassignment surgery do not change from men to women or vice versa. Rather, they become feminized men or masculinized women"- we all know that, we know they don't literally, medically, biologically become women. For me, that's like going to a funeral and someone saying "he's with Jesus now" and replying "no he isn't, he's rotting in the ground with worms eating his eyeballs". He seems to be pretending he doesn't understand the difference between sex and gender, because I can't believe he doesn't know that, which makes me question his motives.

Surely that's more a matter of manners? If someone wants to be referred to in a certain way, it's polite to accept if the request is genuine and reasonable. I really don't see how you think refusing to do that could possibly help someone? No doctors have suggested we should do so, have they?

But actually I think it is very important to spell that out, because as evidenced by this thread, one hell of a lot of misinformed people actually DO think that there is an operation that does literally, medically, biologically, transform a man into a woman.

The bottom line is, if you were born a man you are a man and will always be a man and that will never, ever change so you might as well get used to the idea. Don't like your associated gender? Fine, feel free to ignore gender entirely, 99% of people won't mind a bit.
Original post by cole-slaw
But actually I think it is very important to spell that out, because as evidenced by this thread, one hell of a lot of misinformed people actually DO think that there is an operation that does literally, medically, biologically, transform a man into a woman.

The bottom line is, if you were born a man you are a man and will always be a man and that will never, ever change so you might as well get used to the idea. Don't like your associated gender? Fine, feel free to ignore gender entirely, 99% of people won't mind a bit.

Show me one quote that shows that. When people talk about a "sex change" operation, they're just using a laymans term. I've never heard anyone say that someone's chromosones change.

That's a seriously deluded thought. In any case, you can change your gender. You can't change your sex. That's the main reason we have two different terms. What transgender people are saying is "I feel like I am a woman trapped in a man's body, and it's really important to me that I appear masculine and am recognised as a man" (or vice versa). Just abide by those very reasonable terms and there won't be a problem.
Show me one quote that shows that. When people talk about a "sex change" operation, they're just using a laymans term. I've never heard anyone say that someone's chromosones change.

That's a seriously deluded thought. In any case, you can change your gender. You can't change your sex. That's the main reason we have two different terms. What transgender people are saying is "I feel like I am a woman trapped in a man's body, and it's really important to me that I appear masculine and am recognised as a man" (or vice versa). Just abide by those very reasonable terms and there won't be a problem.

Read my entire argument with user "holocene" who maintained throughout that they did change sex.
Original post by cole-slaw
Read my entire argument with user "holocene" who maintained throughout that they did change sex.

Well they don't know the difference between sex and gender then, but this is getting kinda pedantic. You said "if you were born a man you are a man and will always be a man", that isn't true in the sense of male gender, which is why the term "transsexual" is considered incorrect and "transgender" is preferred.
Original post by joker12345
I think it's less people having problem with the people per se, more disagreeing with the whole practice of surgery to 'fix' your body. It's essentially another form of cosmetic surgery, just like a breast augmentation if a woman feels unhappy with the breasts she has.

Not read the whole thread, but I agree with your arguments so far :yep:

Being unhappy or uncomfortable is an emotional/mental thing, not a physical thing - so it would only make sense that that person has a mental issue. I actually have a friend who is a transgender and she says that some trans people are unhappy even after they've had surgery! Mainly because it's not what they expected, etc... this all sounds like it's a very mental disorder and not at all physical.

Someone being unhappy with their nose shape doesn't need to undergo nose surgery to cure this unhappiness - there isn't anything wrong with their nose. They just need to change their outlook on nose shapes, which again, is mental.

There's no such thing as being born in the 'wrong body', but there is such a thing as feeling like that, and one needs to source the root of that feeling and from there they can take steps to feel happy again.
Probably I would.
I don't know, I'd like to think I'm open minded enough to date a trans person but it's easy to be liberal behind a keyboard. I've never met a trans person and I doubt I ever will due to them being quite rare but I'm not sure if I could deal with the social stigma. I don't want children so that wouldn't be an issue. I really don't know.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending