Ask the TSR Government Watch

This discussion is closed.
It's a Shame
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by O133)
What turned people against opinion polls is that they were too frequent. I'm not against one in the middle of the term, and in fact your blog analysis of it was very interesting. However, you were putting them up weekly or fortnightly, and people got fed up.
Yeah, that was annoying. One or two per term would be fine.
PetrosAC
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by It's a Shame)
Yeah, that was annoying. One or two per term would be fine.
The thing is, you won't get as high a turnout, and results can end up being way off the mark. That'd be my own reservation.

Posted from TSR Mobile
It's a Shame
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by RayApparently)
In understand your frustration - I felt that very same frustration, except I pushed for opinion polls, a Model House of Lords and a thread dedicated to discussing HoC Article amendments. None of which took off.

You need to understand that regular opinion polls just do not work in the MHoC. We know, we've been there, done that.

Why not focus your energy on legislation rather than trying to change everything that works?
I don't want to conduct frequent opinion polls, but two per term would probably be OK.

And yes, I'm going to focus on legislation sometime soon. Thanks.
RayApparently
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I don't want to conduct frequent opinion polls, but two per term would probably be OK.

And yes, I'm going to focus on legislation sometime soon.
I'm open to 1 opinion poll, slap bang in the middle of the term - with commentary written by MhoCers, yourself if you wish but also someone with experience. This would be included not in a separate blog article but in the Ad HoC House newsletter.

Oh and of course, no electoral reform.
It's a Shame
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by PetrosAC)
The thing is, you won't get as high a turnout, and results can end up being way off the mark. That'd be my own reservation.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I understand your concerns, but I would spread the two opinion polls. Statistics are interesting to work with.
It's a Shame
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I'm open to 1 opinion poll, slap bang in the middle of the term - with commentary written by MhoCers, yourself if you wish but also someone with experience. This would be included not in a separate blog article but in the Ad HoC House newsletter.

Oh and of course, no electoral reform.
Would two really be too much?
PetrosAC
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I raised this point a few weeks ago, but what are peoples thoughts on a crisis committee?

Could be made up of 10 people - 1 person from each party, The Speaker and Deputy Speaker, and possibly the UK MUN representative.

It'd add an element of surprise to the MHoC and make us have to act on different issues.

The crisis committee would come up with an event or national/internation dilemma which the government and MHoC would have to act on e.g A Natural disaster or a Terrorist Act.

Posted from TSR Mobile
username456717
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I raised this point a few weeks ago, but what are peoples thoughts on a crisis committee?

Could be made up of 10 people - 1 person from each party, The Speaker and Deputy Speaker, and possibly the UK MUN representative.

It'd add an element of surprise to the MHoC and make us have to act on different issues.

The crisis committee would come up with an event or national/internation dilemma which the government and MHoC would have to act on e.g A Natural disaster or a Terrorist Act.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Good idea. Events work well at attracting people to the place.

Posted from TSR Mobile
RayApparently
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Would two really be too much?
An election every two months plus any by-elections would be too much. Even one I'd rather not have.
Aph
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago

Posted from TSR Mobile
The UK MUN rep should now hopefully be the foreign sec at all times.
Saracen's Fez
  • Forum Helper
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago

As long as these things were real. All of the hypothetical stuff is partly what pushed me away from the MUN.
PetrosAC
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by O133)
As long as these things were real. All of the hypothetical stuff is partly what pushed me away from the MUN.
It'd be fake events, like for example:

"A 4.5 Magnitude Earthquake hits Dover, killing 15 people and causing damage to hundreds/thousands of homes"

Then the Government would have to react.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Saracen's Fez
  • Forum Helper
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
It'd be fake events, like for example:

"A 4.5 Magnitude Earthquake hits Dover, killing 15 people and causing damage to hundreds/thousands of homes"

Then the Government would have to react.
Not keen on that. We should stick to the real.
It's a Shame
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
An election every two months plus any by-elections would be too much. Even one I'd rather not have.
1 opinion poll is fine. Thanks!
PetrosAC
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by O133)
Not keen on that. We should stick to the real.
If it were fake events, then we wouldnt have so many quiet periods.

Posted from TSR Mobile
That Bearded Man
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago

Posted from TSR Mobile
I love this idea, again, something that is touched on in that place we cannot talk about
username456717
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by That Bearded Man)
I love this idea, again, something that is touched on in that place we cannot talk about
I really must visit this place some time.

Posted from TSR Mobile
That Bearded Man
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by nebelbon)
I really must visit this place some time.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I stood as a Junior and got a vote share of about 2% I think, hence I have really lost interest in said place, I say "said," but what I meant for all those watching is "have not said"
username456717
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I stood as a Junior and got a vote share of about 2% I think, hence I have really lost interest in said place, I say "said," but what I meant for all those watching is "have not said"
Ah that's a shame.

Posted from TSR Mobile
PetrosAC
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by nebelbon)
Good idea. Events work well at attracting people to the place.

Posted from TSR Mobile
How would I go about writing something like this up?

Posted from TSR Mobile
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (266)
38.61%
No - but I will (46)
6.68%
No - I don't want to (51)
7.4%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (326)
47.31%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed