First Year Vacation Schemes/Insight Days 2014-15 Watch

iano101
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Lucilou101)
PFO from A&O (this isn't going well :lol: )

Mentioned tough competition for the 25th june - wonder if that means I would've been more lucky had I chosen a different date!
Yeah may have been that. Also the places they have for these programmes are very limited.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Lucilou101
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
(Original post by iano101)
Yeah may have been that. Also the places they have for these programmes are very limited.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah tough luck really - can't be easy to choose people purely based on a form!
SXYX
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah tough luck really - can't be easy to choose people purely based on a form!
How much time during the holiday do you plan on allocating for spring schemes? Just had a talk with my uni's careers advisor, and she thinks that a week long scheme with CC and a two-day law/consulting programme would be more than enough. A bit worried that I might not have enough time to study, but I still have some applications being processed:/
Unsworth
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Offer from A&O!
Lucilou101
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
(Original post by Unsworth)
Offer from A&O!
Congrats! You are so great at this aha
iano101
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Offer from A&O!
You're racking them up!
Unsworth
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by SXYX)
How much time during the holiday do you plan on allocating for spring schemes? Just had a talk with my uni's careers advisor, and she thinks that a week long scheme with CC and a two-day law/consulting programme would be more than enough. A bit worried that I might not have enough time to study, but I still have some applications being processed:/
I think you'd be fine personally, so long as you are organised with the way you study. I currently have 3 weeks of internships (CC & Goldman Sachs) over Easter and am carrying on with it. Just make sure you stay on top of your work, utilise your weekends and are sensible and I don't think it should be an issue!

Congrats! You are so great at this aha

You're racking them up!
Aha thanks guys!
SXYX
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I think you'd be fine personally, so long as you are organised with the way you study. I currently have 3 weeks of internships (CC & Goldman Sachs) over Easter and am carrying on with it. Just make sure you stay on top of your work, utilise your weekends and are sensible and I don't think it should be an issue!

Aha thanks guys!
Congrats!!

I think I might withdraw some applications though, e.g. Barclays at final interview stage. My first year syllabus includes criminal + public + contract + tort + 2 other jurisprudence-ish courses, so there is a lot to study
Unsworth
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by SXYX)
Congrats!!

I think I might withdraw some applications though, e.g. Barclays at final interview stage. My first year syllabus includes criminal + public + contract + tort + 2 other jurisprudence-ish courses, so there is a lot to study
Depends how you feel - if you got Barclays it would look great though. Same, we do all of those but something more politically focussed than the jurisprudence ones you mentioned. It's all down to what you think you can manage, if you think it would be too much then do withdraw, but if you think you can handle it then don't - only you know what you can take, don't let a careers person decide.
tom the student
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
OK Im filling out some applications and stuck on the main questions unfortunately :/ What sort of answer do we need to give for "why should we consider you for first year events?", also I'm struggling to get much down for the main interests/ extra curricular... does it all have to be law related?
Unsworth
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by tom the student)
OK Im filling out some applications and stuck on the main questions unfortunately :/ What sort of answer do we need to give for "why should we consider you for first year events?", also I'm struggling to get much down for the main interests/ extra curricular... does it all have to be law related?
For the first question I would talk about skills/qualities and past experience (work/leadership) that would make you a good candidate, along with your own motivations/interest in law/that law firm relating it back to the question. This should be split up into 2/3 paragraphs and fill up most of the word count.

For your second question - no not at all. It is perfectly fine to put down interests/extra curricular activities which are not law related.

Hope that helps!
tom the student
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
For the first question I would talk about skills/qualities and past experience (work/leadership) that would make you a good candidate, along with your own motivations/interest in law/that law firm relating it back to the question. This should be split up into 2/3 paragraphs and fill up most of the word count.

For your second question - no not at all. It is perfectly fine to put down interests/extra curricular activities which are not law related.

Hope that helps!
Thanks! - I have only just started to notice that there are first year schemes in the last month or so, so just trying to get my head round it all and get applications done before the deadline.

So I guess for the first one it is a bit like a more sophisticated legal UCAS personal statement?

Also do we just put N/A for our module/degree results?
SXYX
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Anyone in Simmons & Simmons spring insight scheme?
iano101
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Did not enjoy the Watson test..

Posted from TSR Mobile
Unsworth
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Did not enjoy the Watson test..

Posted from TSR Mobile
For Hogan Lovells? Can never tell how well you've done..
iano101
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
For Hogan Lovells? Can never tell how well you've done..
Yeah, reason why - was I finished the test then accidentally swiped back out of the test then entered again, all my answers had been wiped and I had like 10 minutes to fill it all in again..

Posted from TSR Mobile
aceofpentacles
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by RohinGD)
Has anyone had any communication with Herbert Smith or Shearman & Sterling after submitting their applications?
(Original post by SXYX)
For Herbert Smith - got invitation for verbal and logical test, still waiting for update

Shearman - no communication at all :/

Got an offer from Shearman & Sterling on the 13th.
In the offer email they state they're choosing not to interview successful candidates ^.^
SXYX
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Just got phone interview invitation from Hogan Lovells
tparish95
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hey, for anyone whose applied for the Herbert Smith first year scheme, do you know if we have an assessment day for it? Their graduate recruitment website doesn't specifically say for that scheme. Just wondering because I did their VR and logical thinking tests last week and haven't received an email yet saying I've failed them which I'm guessing means I've done alright, just waiting to see what the next stage is. Would be nice if they didn't bother haha.
RohinGD
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Where's everyone attending the Clifford Chance scheme planning to stay during the program?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (356)
37.63%
No - but I will (74)
7.82%
No - I don't want to (66)
6.98%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (450)
47.57%

Watched Threads