Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AnnekaChan173)
    Did you just miss the part where I said I've only done half of unit five lolololol, like properly learning it
    I'm a slow learner so I have to start earlier, currently on a slump and work experience, so I haven't really been working for the last few days
    And I need an A*
    at this point i'm considering going back to church because need all the help i can get with some of these unit 5 12 markers sweet jesus i'm so done with biotech and dna
    Yeah did you not read the part where I said I haven't started on any of it? -_-
    So so screwed lol

ReputationRep:
    Did you just miss the part where I said I've only done half of unit five lolololol, like properly learning it
    I'm a slow learner so I have to start earlier, currently on a slump and work experience, so I haven't really been working for the last few days
    And I need an A*
    at this point i'm considering going back to church because need all the help i can get with some of these unit 5 12 markers sweet jesus i'm so done with biotech and dna

I did the same thing for some reason, even though that little green book was my saving grace last year, proof I didn't look at how hard unit 5 was early in the year. Should have listened better when we were learning before mocks :/

It's actually a joke
    Why couldn't they have put something easier (dont pelt me if you dont find it easy but me and human biology just work ok) like Excretion in unit 5 and one of the bigger annoying ones like Biotech in unit 4
    Now I think about it excretion is actually so random
    Haha i agree with you!! the first unit in A2 is a hell of a lot better! They are the solid facts, the cycles and the science content that you can learn (also human biology and biochemistry I find a lot more interesting than punnet squares or ecosystems) :P The second unit has a lot of 'wooly' stuff in which there could be 16 answers (e.g. rights and wrongs to GM) but only 8 will gain you marks -_- This makes them hard to get marks and there's a lot more complicated words/definitions in the second unit which is like learning a different language - I'm rubbish at languages...
    When you say about the CPG book, have you ever used the heinemann book? (the one with a colourful MRI picture of the brain on front) our school gave us that one and I'm wondering id the CGP one is better? If you have used both or know someone who has then do you recommend getting the CGP book?
    Also do you have any tips for remember the stuff? When i go through it all I understand it all 100% and never have had a problem with understanding it, i just find it hard to remember all the tiny little details when its not a cycle or reaction :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by frozo123)
    So so screwed lol
    Nah you will be fine, last year i didn't start any revision for any exams until easter holiday and i managed to do alright, even managed to get an oxford interview despite all odds stacked against me Its not the quantity of revision, its the quality Just start now so you don't feel guilty for doing none and by the time exams come round (this year the exams start later than last year and easter holiday started earlier this year) you will be prepared

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hmht)
    Nah you will be fine, last year i didn't start any revision for any exams until easter holiday and i managed to do alright, even managed to get an oxford interview despite all odds stacked against me Its not the quantity of revision, its the quality Just start now so you don't feel guilty for doing none and by the time exams come round (this year the exams start later than last year and easter holiday started earlier this year) you will be prepared
    ooh congrats! what course was that for then?

ReputationRep:
    ooh congrats! what course was that for then?
    Thank you It was to do a masters in Chemistry - got rejected after the interviews though haha Im going to Warwick now, the place i preferred for the campus and labs, only applied to oxford so if I got in its a better name to have on your degree what are you planning to do?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hmht)
    Thank you It was to do a masters in Chemistry - got rejected after the interviews though haha Im going to Warwick now, the place i preferred for the campus and labs, only applied to oxford so if I got in its a better name to have on your degree what are you planning to do?
    wow that's amazing well done! To even get an interview is an achievement.
    I'm doing medicine

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing medicine
    Thank you Oh wow!! thats incredibly hard to get into! probably harder than an oxbridge interview :P Have you got any offers?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hmht)
    Thank you Oh wow!! thats incredibly hard to get into! probably harder than an oxbridge interview :P Have you got any offers?
    haha Idk about that one,
    yeah I have 2 rejected by the other two

ReputationRep:
    haha Idk about that one,
    yeah I have 2 rejected by the other two
    Well done where have you firmed?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    So so screwed lol
    (Original post by Hmht)
    -nodsnods- It's about how you revise! I just want to make sure I don't panic revise later on in the year, because that's what I did last year and it didn't work for me

(Original post by Hmht)
    Haha i agree with you!! the first unit in A2 is a hell of a lot better! They are the solid facts, the cycles and the science content that you can learn (also human biology and biochemistry I find a lot more interesting than punnet squares or ecosystems) :P The second unit has a lot of 'wooly' stuff in which there could be 16 answers (e.g. rights and wrongs to GM) but only 8 will gain you marks -_- This makes them hard to get marks and there's a lot more complicated words/definitions in the second unit which is like learning a different language - I'm rubbish at languages...
    When you say about the CPG book, have you ever used the heinemann book? (the one with a colourful MRI picture of the brain on front) our school gave us that one and I'm wondering id the CGP one is better? If you have used both or know someone who has then do you recommend getting the CGP book?
    Also do you have any tips for remember the stuff? When i go through it all I understand it all 100% and never have had a problem with understanding it, i just find it hard to remember all the tiny little details when its not a cycle or reaction :/
    Exactly, and the points are so flipping ridiculous.
    The Heinemann book is all I've used this year in all honesty and just like their chemistry book half of it is bull****. You don't have to do as much further reading to understand it than chemistry (Literally the number of chemistry resources I've had to find is ridiculous). May be a little too dense, but it's got the spec points at the top, so it's easy to filter through the bull****! I'll ask around though, the book was great last year, but as a supplement to the textbook, there were some points that weren't fully explained with biodiversity.
    Link it uuuuuuurp. Seriously finding links between different topics/irl is helpful. I don't remember everything, but I try to make analogies/ways to derive the answer.

I'm doing medicine
    -dives into your PMs-

ReputationRep:
    -nodsnods- It's about how you revise! I just want to make sure I don't panic revise later on in the year, because that's what I did last year and it didn't work for me

Exactly, and the points are so flipping ridiculous.
    The Heinemann book is all I've used this year in all honesty and just like their chemistry book half of it is bull****. You don't have to do as much further reading to understand it than chemistry (Literally the number of chemistry resources I've had to find is ridiculous). May be a little too dense, but it's got the spec points at the top, so it's easy to filter through the bull****! I'll ask around though, the book was great last year, but as a supplement to the textbook, there were some points that weren't fully explained with biodiversity.
    Link it uuuuuuurp. Seriously finding links between different topics/irl is helpful. I don't remember everything, but I try to make analogies/ways to derive the answer.

-dives into your PMs-
    Why haha?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Why haha?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Applying next year

ReputationRep:
    Applying next year
    Oh cool wish you the best of luck where you thinking?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Any tips for getting an A* in both exams? Currently on 23/40 for coursework with two results back (waiting on qualitative result), got a B at AS and need an A for university

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by smozsolution)
    Any tips for getting an A* in both exams? Currently on 23/40 for coursework with two results back (waiting on qualitative result), got a B at AS and need an A for university
    babe we want to know the answers too hahaha! you never know, you could do really well on that quant. Are all your practicals over? I only have two left and I'm bricking it

ReputationRep:
    babe we want to know the answers too hahaha! you never know, you could do really well on that quant. Are all your practicals over? I only have two left and I'm bricking it
    I know

Yeah, we only got one shot at them and that was it. No retakes or doing others. Kind of sucks really.

ReputationRep:
    Starting revision today

ffs

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Solarburst)
    Starting revision today

ffs
    Haha are you not just excited? Excited for spending hours and hours staring at books and papers, followed by a horrible exam and the most stressful 2 months waiting for results that will change you life forever? I am *sarcasm* *hits head against wall*

ReputationRep:
    Is it worth retaking F211 or F212 when I got 245 last year? It's A LOT of content to learn again.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by smozsolution)
    I know

Yeah, we only got one shot at them and that was it. No retakes or doing others. Kind of sucks really.
    Wow, that's actyally insane... Have you spoken to your teachers?

(Original post by Solarburst)
    Starting revision today

ffs
    (Original post by Hmht)
    Haha are you not just excited? Excited for spending hours and hours staring at books and papers, followed by a horrible exam and the most stressful 2 months waiting for results that will change you life forever? I am *sarcasm* *hits head against wall*
    guys I'm actually feeling so prepared gonna get like 400/300 UMS overall Cambridge better watch out

srsly ****ed for bio, you all are revising and then there's me about to have a 90 minute nap, work experience is tiring mate

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.