Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Question; for the development methodologies, do we need to know other methodologies such as scrum methodology, crystal methodology, etc. or do we only have to know linear and iterative methodology? There were a lot of different methodologies in the AQA textbook but there didn't seem to be any reference to them in the revision guide nor the specification, so just wanted to check :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheFinalFlare)
    Question; for the development methodologies, do we need to know other methodologies such as scrum methodology, crystal methodology, etc. or do we only have to know linear and iterative methodology? There were a lot of different methodologies in the AQA textbook but there didn't seem to be any reference to them in the revision guide nor the specification, so just wanted to check :/
    For Section A (UCDM) it is unlikely that Agile Development Methodologies will come up since the pre-release clearly states 'Formal Project Management Methodology'.

I also don't recall any past questions revolving around Agile Development Methodologies in Section B, however it's best to remember them anyway.
    At the very least a few advantages and disadvantages of specific ones so you can compare them to Linear and Iterative Methodologies.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheFinalFlare)
    Linear and iterative are the main ones id say. There isn't much on the others tbh hence i haven't really bothered with them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by imalkov)
    For Section A (UCDM) it is unlikely that Agile Development Methodologies will come up since the pre-release clearly states 'Formal Project Management Methodology'.

I also don't recall any past questions revolving around Agile Development Methodologies in Section B, however it's best to remember them anyway.
    At the very least a few advantages and disadvantages of specific ones so you can compare them to Linear and Iterative Methodologies.
    (Original post by ThatGuyRik)
    Linear and iterative are the main ones id say. There isn't much on the others tbh hence i haven't really bothered with them.
    Thank you both! I guess I'll have a brief look at one or two other methodologies but focus on iterative and linear methodologies more Still sorta plodding along with revision notes ~

ReputationRep:
    Have you guys been revising Information Flow Diagrams and Data Flow Diagrams?
    I've never studied it with my teacher so am interested in what your teachers have said/done about it.

ReputationRep:
    Guys... I've left myself 3 days to conquer INFO3 and haven't revised it since around about a month ago. Is anyone able to email me the ZigZag papers by any chance? I would be super grateful

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by imalkov)
    Have you guys been revising Information Flow Diagrams and Data Flow Diagrams?
    I've never studied it with my teacher so am interested in what your teachers have said/done about it.
    We did a bit...but my teachers are terrible!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by laurennash_)
    Guys... I've left myself 3 days to conquer INFO3 and haven't revised it since around about a month ago. Is anyone able to email me the ZigZag papers by any chance? I would be super grateful
    If you PM me your email ill happily send it over

ReputationRep:
    OH my gosh! does anyone else feel like this week has been such a drag ! Those few days just leading up to the last exam ...its like riding a bike with attached weights but that bike is on fire !

ReputationRep:
    Could some one give me an outline of what to write for this questions:

Discuss how emerging ICT technologies could be used to operate a virtual company, include in your discussion social and environmental issues surrounding the growth of virtual companies.

Thanks in advance

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shannonamyolive)
    Could some one give me an outline of what to write for this questions:

Discuss how emerging ICT technologies could be used to operate a virtual company, include in your discussion social and environmental issues surrounding the growth of virtual companies.

Thanks in advance

Posted from TSR Mobile
    The full question:

A virtual company can be described as an organisation where the employees are geographically dispersed, work from home and use ICT to operate most aspects of the business.

Discuss how emerging ICT technologies could be used to operate a virtual company.
    Include in your discussion the social and environmental issues surrounding the growth of virtual companies.

Split this question into 3 sections within your plan.
    - Ways in which Emerging Technologies can help operate virtual companies
    - Social Issues
    - Environmental Issues

Give an introduction stating something like "It can be said that a variety of emerging technologies can be used to operate virtual companies. With more virtual companies, a variety of social and environmental issues will occur".
    Then you state an emerging technology, explain how it will be used to operate a virtual company and follow through with social issues it will bring.
    Once you've got about 5 emerging technologies and 5 social impacts, you can finish the question with environmental issues.

In your conclusion you'd just say that a lot of emerging technologies can be used to operate virtual companies and that from this, there will be many different negative impacts on society and the environment.

Here's what I've talked about in the past:

Emerging Technology:

Mobile Device Technology - Can work at home or on the go, collaborate with employees of virtual company.
    Better Communication Technology - High quality video conferencing (a better Skype) will help communicate internationally.
    Faster Broadband Speeds - Results in faster rate of data transfer, faster networks.
    Cloud Storage - Store virtual company's data with no need to have personal assets.
    Satellite Internet - People can work together from geographically isolated areas.
    5G Mobile Broadband - Transfer vast quantities of data in short time over a mobile network, can work anywhere and with high download/upload speeds.

Social Issues:

More Stress - People can work at home and on the go thanks to Mobile Devices; this can increase stress as the barrier between home and work collides.
    Decrease in Social Skills - People can communicate with family and friends much better, however, people can get addicted to this technology and as a result, social skills will decrease.
    Higher Risks of Data Theft - With more data being sent through the Internet and Cloud Stored, unauthorised access of data will become a larger problem.
    Dependence on Technology - Having no physical assets, a virtual company will be heavily affected by network downtime or other disasters.
    Less Interaction with Customers/Employees - With no face to face contact, a virtual company may somewhat struggle with employee retention and customer loyalty as well as the possibility of making business deals.

Environmental Issues:

More Resources Needed- Need to extract a lot more metals/other resources.
    Growing Energy Hunger - Construct more power plants, burn more fossil fuels.

ReputationRep:
    Does anybody have any resources for the future developments section?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sarah5152)
    Same situation ! We had mocks and then after that I kinda gave up and just focused on the other two subjects ! The plan is WING it haha !

I haven't really had a chance to analyse the topics in past papers and that but here are predicted topics for the pre-release:

Press release 1:

-future developments
    -training
    -cloud computing
    -offshore, outsourcing
    -legislation eg data protection act

Press release 27:

-Goals of organisations
    -Techniques and tools for system development ( system life cycle, waterfall/iterative method, testing and installation)

Press Release 53:

-Legislation again
    -potential threats to the system and how to prevent them
    -back up and recovery (risk analysis, contingency plan)

The ones in bold are probably the main ones
    This may seem like a dumb question but what do 1, 27 and 53 indicate?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by afarouk96)
    This may seem like a dumb question but what do 1, 27 and 53 indicate?
    Its the articles of the pre release. So if you have the pre release article look at the top of each page

ReputationRep:
    Can anyone give examples of emerging technology please?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HarpZsc)
    Can anyone give examples of emerging technology please?
    *GPS/GIS - soil sampling/TomTom's
    *RFID for use in supermarket fridges for meat etc - can alert staff when its going out of date/when the shelf is empty
    *Apple & its use of using their iPhones and technology to allow customers to pay by scanning item with phone & then using card machine attached to phone
    *Intelligent scales - IBM's veggie vision can use camera to see product and then print barcode for it (as it recognises what it is)
    *Dusseldorf, Germany - Robots in a shop as shop assistants & help customers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sarah5152)
    Its the articles of the pre release. So if you have the pre release article look at the top of each page
    Any idea how I can access the pre-release? I seem to have replaced the one my teacher gave me lol. I've looked on the AQA website and cant find it too

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by afarouk96)
    Any idea how I can access the pre-release? I seem to have replaced the one my teacher gave me lol. I've looked on the AQA website and cant find it too
    Heres the pre-release caste study
    Attached Images
  1. File Type: pdf AQA-INFO3-PM-Jun15 (2).pdf (759.3 KB, 136 views)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by laurennash_)
    *GPS/GIS - soil sampling/TomTom's
    *RFID for use in supermarket fridges for meat etc - can alert staff when its going out of date/when the shelf is empty
    *Apple & its use of using their iPhones and technology to allow customers to pay by scanning item with phone & then using card machine attached to phone
    *Intelligent scales - IBM's veggie vision can use camera to see product and then print barcode for it (as it recognises what it is)
    *Dusseldorf, Germany - Robots in a shop as shop assistants & help customers
    Thank you very much

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HarpZsc)
    Heres the pre-release caste study
    Cheers mate much appreciated

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 23, 2015
Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.