Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I have just applied for the engineering apprenticeship tonight?
    Looking at the comments here, it looks as though it could be a while till I hear something as just set on engineers?

Does anybody know how long I will be waiting etc about?

ReputationRep:
    I applied in April for IT and didn't hear anything until August when I was invited to the hub day, so fairly long!

ReputationRep:
    Hey me to when is your hub day and where is it located ?

ReputationRep:
    I have filled it out Hughes it's very quick and easy and I recieved it 5 days later

ReputationRep:
    Hi, just had a few questions for anyone currently doing the apprenticeship/ anyone who has completed it.

- which university do you study at? (I live in SE England)
    - can you give me some information of accommodation? is there any funding for that?
    - are there many females in the programme?

I'll probably have more questions later on, but if anyone can answer these I'd appreciate it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rx4x4)
    Hi, just had a few questions for anyone currently doing the apprenticeship/ anyone who has completed it.

- which university do you study at? (I live in SE England)
    - can you give me some information of accommodation? is there any funding for that?
    - are there many females in the programme?

I'll probably have more questions later on, but if anyone can answer these I'd appreciate it
    Depends on the apprenticeship but I finished an IT based apprenticeship recently.

University is Staffordshire Uni however it's run by Stoke college at Yarnfield Park (BT has a training centre there)

Accommodation is like a travelodge, rooms with ensuite and meals are provided.

Funding wise, BT pays for your courses and accommodation directly. The traveling expenses you pay out of pocket and then claim back unless you can get a company credit card or have a company vehicle.

Females - there's a few in most courses although the majority of apprentices are male.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nicksow)
    Hi Matt, I attended my engineering HUB day 5 weeks ago on Tuesday and still haven't heard anything. Do you know the right place I can contact them to chase them up?

Kind regards
    Hi Nick,

That's poor form. If you have a look at your hub letter there should be a number on there. Give them a ring for an update. Any drama let me know.

ReputationRep:
    zssr - Already been and got the job, start 28th September but haven't heard anything but a verbal contract so far :/

ReputationRep:
    Not to sure because we may stay up to 10 weeks I have no idea what to take yourself?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 92matt)
    Hi Nick,

That's poor form. If you have a look at your hub letter there should be a number on there. Give them a ring for an update. Any drama let me know.
    I haven't heard back from the engineering apprenticeship HUB day and there is no number. However, I have another HUB day this Friday but for the IT apprenticeship with BT. I applied for both months ago as I suited both roles. This will be my second hub day so possibly giving me better chance, plus a chance to follow up my engineering HUB day. Getting somewhere I guess lol

ReputationRep:
    Well I've got a conference call on Thursday so I will hopefully know more then and will keep you posted but are you taking large bag or suitcase?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adamhjones)
    Well I've got a conference call on Thursday so I will hopefully know more then and will keep you posted but are you taking large bag or suitcase?
    Is it next Monday you start? Let me no what they say to take I've herd nothing about a conference call haha! And we'll I've got a big bag, see if I get everything in there! How about you?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I start week today nervous and exciting and I will do and I'm still unsure what to take to be honest

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adamhjones)
    Yeah I start week today nervous and exciting and I will do and I'm still unsure what to take to be honest
    I'm the same, I'm sure we will be fine

ReputationRep:
    No one doing an i.t office base apprenticeship for BT ?

ReputationRep:
    You're over thinking it!

From memory Openreach do ask you to bring some clothes you don't mind getting muddy, but if you're joining TSO and it's the same as last year then it's pretty straight forward. Dress code is smart casual. BT generally doesn't do ties unless you want to, in which case feel free. You need enough polo tops and shirts for 5 days. Gents should be wearing a collar. Chinos, trousers, and very smart jeans are fine. You need a wash kit, phone charger, note pad and pen and beer tokens. If you fancy it the evenings are yours and a group of us went on a night out in Stafford.

Key bit of advice: don't panic. As soon as you set foot in Yarnfield you are now an employee. Play nicely with others, be on time and don't get too smashed and you'll be fine.

ReputationRep:
    Does anybody know if there's a gym at Yarnfield?

08murrae - I'm also starting on the 28th.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AllBlades)
    Does anybody know if there's a gym at Yarnfield?

08murrae - I'm also starting on the 28th.
    A small one, my understanding is its decent although the range of equipment is fairly limited.

ReputationRep:
    Had the BT hub day for IT and heard back yesterday that I was successful and was offered a contract. Aparently get it in an email in the next few days for a 12th October start. Really happy to be on board

ReputationRep:
    congratulations to everybody who has been accepted onto the scheme!

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Apprenticeship zone:

GIGF logo

Apprenticeship Zone

All you need to know about higher and degree apprenticeships.

GIGF logo

Meet the apprentices

Read these case studies from real apprentices to hear the truth about what it's like!

GIGF logo

Apprenticeship Vacancies

Find the latest higher and degree apprenticeship opportunities.

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

ICAEW logo

ICAEW

"Choose a career journey with limitless possibilities."

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Quick links:

Unanswered apprenticeships and alternatives to university threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.