Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Liverpool v Chelsea Capital One Cup Semi-Final 1st leg watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dirtybit)
    As a DM Lahm, Schweini, Busquets, Alonso are all more talented than him.
    Schweinsteiger and Alonso aren't DMs (and the former has barely played this season due to injury). Busquets has been poor by his standards this season, although when on form I'd be inclined to agree. Lahm possibly, although being a DM for Chelsea in the Premier League is a very very different task to being a DM for Bayern tbf.

None of them have a case for being a better DM this season other than Lahm, one subpar performance doesn't change that.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Zerforax)
    As a neutral, did you think he was pretty bias towards Chelsea?
    Incredibly. He was right to give Chelsea a penalty though.

ReputationRep:
    Liverpool played with a hunger we couldn't/didn't match and deserved to win. No idea why some of you are still blaming the referee though. Not his fault you only managed to beat Courtois once despite completely dominating us, reckon you'll live to regret that at SB.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by sr90)
    Incredibly. He was right to give Chelsea a penalty though.
    Yeah, no complaints about that call. Can was heavy in the tackle and Hazard was simply too quick shifting his balance.

ReputationRep:
    Liverpool fans here, what do you think of the penalty, I was reading the comments on sky sports and they all pissed off at hazard for diving, which imo was a clear penalty.
    Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Devran22)
    Liverpool fans here, what do you think of the penalty, I was reading the comments on sky sports and they all pissed off at hazard for diving, which imo was a clear penalty.
    Posted from TSR Mobile
    Read my comment above. No complaints from me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Devran22)
    Posted from TSR Mobile
    as SR90 stated, it was a clear penalty.
    the referee was still frustratingly sided with chelsea though, especially for the little things.
    however we had ample chance to win the match, regardless of how good courtois is.

ReputationRep:
    Lol at all the gassed Liverpool fans on BBC/Twitter. Game of your lives yet you can only draw at home against a Chelsea side who weren't even trying.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nichrome)
    Lol at all the gassed Liverpool fans on BBC/Twitter. Game of your lives yet you can only draw at home against a Chelsea side who weren't even trying.
    Not even trying with what was close to your best XI other than Mikel?

Roman Abramovich will probably do another Torres and buy half of the Liverpool squad so he can actually get some flair into boring boring Chelsea.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    No player U21 has created more chances than Raheem Sterling this season across Europe's top 5 leagues.

He's created 50.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nichrome)
    Weren't even trying...
    That's a good one.

You were playing almost your full side and we absolutely dominated you.
    And don't give me any of this "tactics" argument - we destroyed you in the second half and Mourinho was breathing a big sigh of relief at the end of the game.

Between you buying the ref and with Sturridge being out, you're lucky you didn't get thrashed.

ReputationRep:
    From what I saw of the game, Liverpool definitely played better.
    We played a strong team, although Mourinho was playing for the draw. It's not like a league game where there are points up for grabs and we played much better in the league game at Anfield.

Mourinho probably told the team "Just turn up and don't lose" and that's what we did in the end. We had some luck of course, but I honestly think Mourinho is happy with what the team did.

That's the only reasonable explanation for our performance because it's the worst since Mourinho has come back
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Mourinho's been clever. He successful made a two-legged tie come down to a one-off match at the Bridge.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mackay)
    Mourinho's been clever. He successful made a two-legged tie come down to a one-off match at the Bridge.
    I think it's a pretty good plan tbf, although not pleasing to spectators.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Well, they'll get through. Or, they should at least.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 9MmBulletz)
    I think it's a pretty good plan tbf, although not pleasing to spectators.
    you gotta weigh up whether you'd like to see dull, boring tactics that get results and trophies, or fun and exciting football that's risky.

week in week out, games like liverpool's last season were an utter joy to watch and thoroughly entertained me all season long.
    but is a consistent level of entertainment better than winning a trophy?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Lúcio)
    you gotta weigh up whether you'd like to see dull, boring tactics that get results and trophies, or fun and exciting football that's risky.

week in week out, games like liverpool's last season were an utter joy to watch and thoroughly entertained me all season long.
    Our football under Rafa was nowhere near the level it is now, but we were more successful. It's about getting a balance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lúcio)

Tbf, I don't think we've been playing bad football this season. Just that when it comes to some big games, we've been a bit hesitant away from home.

We've scored the most league goals and have had some games where we've torn the opposition to shreds (Swansea and Schalke spring to mind). The game the other day was a mixture of Liverpool being aggressive, while we kind of let them come on to us, which wasn't helped by the inclusion of Mikel.

We'll come out of our shell at the Bridge- you guys will get opportunities but the bigger question is if your defence can handle our attack
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Tbf, I don't think we've been playing bad football this season. Just that when it comes to some big games, we've been a bit hesitant away from home.

We've scored the most league goals and have had some games where we've torn the opposition to shreds (Swansea and Schalke spring to mind). The game the other day was a mixture of Liverpool being aggressive, while we kind of let them come on to us, which wasn't helped by the inclusion of Mikel.

We'll come out of our shell at the Bridge- you guys will get opportunities but the bigger question is if your defence can handle our attack
    The most worrying thing for you must be your defensive vulnerabilities. Going forward isn't an issue in the slightest, but Ivanovic/Cahill and Terry look a pale imitation of last season's players.

ReputationRep:
    Our players will be hyped up for the game after the match at Anfield, but looking at your side I feel like you have just too much quality for us.

We need to score - it wouldn't be pretty but you could technically just park the bus and counter all game, sticking a man on sterling just in case.

Winning at the Bridge seems near impossible against a side with so much quality, although I guess this merely a single game; we could have a one-off like Arsenal did against City.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: January 23, 2015
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.