Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Edexcel Unit 4: Physics on the Move 6PH04 (11th June 2015) watch

• View Poll Results: What do you think the grade boundary for an A will be?
    GCE-65+
    3.57%
    GCE-60-64
    33.33%
    GCE-55-59
    36.90%
    GCE-50-54
    9.52%
    GCE-45-49
    1.19%
    GCE- Lower than 44
    0%
    IAL-65+
    5.95%
    IAL-60-64
    7.14%
    IAL-55-59
    2.38%
    IAL-50-54
    0%
    IAL-45-49
    0%
    IAL- Lower than 44
    0%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Undisclosed 15)
    How many papers are you planning on completing?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    All of them. Gna do 2/3 a day ish from now on.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by physicsmaths)
    All of them. Gna do 2/3 a day ish from now on.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    did happen to do june 11?
    i had some problem.. hope we can discuss

ReputationRep:
    have u solved june 2011 unit 4?
    i have some problems.. i hope we can discuss

ReputationRep:
    i have a lot of problems in june 11 aswell.. i hope there is someone out there who can help

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rabia reha)
    did happen to do june 11?
    i had some problem.. hope we can discuss
    Not yet should be doing it today or tommorrow.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    just had a quick glance at June 11, didn't seem too bad although i hate question 16 when you have to explain how you got those values, balls to that, what was it in particular you were stuck on?

ReputationRep:
    Any help with this question? I just guessed between A and B

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    i would guess its not A because it would be decelerating towards the nucleus so at p the acceleration would be 0 which is greater than, say, -2 ms^-2. i honestly wouldn't be sure of this either but from an educated guess i would say its B because it has been decelerating towards P so at that point it would be at its slowest idk sorry dude

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    At that point the electrostatic repulsive force between the two is greatest therefore according to F = ma acceleration is greatest

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Okay so this question's from Jan 2010 (Q9), probably a very dumb doubt, i havent touched p4 in months

A 1.5 V cell is connected to a switch S, a neon lamp and a coil with many turns asshown. Nothing is observed when the switch is closed but the neon lamp flashes assoon as it is opened.The neon lamp flashes when the potential difference across it is about 200 V.Use Faraday’s law to explain why the lamp flashes once when the switch S is opened.

And this is the answer in the MS
    Current in coil generates magnetic field (1)Current drops/decreases (1)Change of flux [accept flux cut] (1)Rapid/quick/short time (1)Large emf/200 V induced(1)Field/flux linkage large due to many turns

BUT when the switch is closed, current flows right so isnt there a change of flux as soon as it closes as well? So how come the lamp doesnt flash there? O:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by imnoteinstein)
    Okay so this question's from Jan 2010 (Q9), probably a very dumb doubt, i havent touched p4 in months

A 1.5 V cell is connected to a switch S, a neon lamp and a coil with many turns asshown. Nothing is observed when the switch is closed but the neon lamp flashes assoon as it is opened.The neon lamp flashes when the potential difference across it is about 200 V.Use Faraday’s law to explain why the lamp flashes once when the switch S is opened.

Current in coil generates magnetic field (1)Current drops/decreases (1)Change of flux [accept flux cut] (1)Rapid/quick/short time (1)Large emf/200 V induced(1)Field/flux linkage large due to many turns

BUT when the switch is closed, current flows right so isnt there a change of flux as soon as it closes as well? So how come the lamp doesnt flash there? O:
    no. The current doesn't change or drop afterwards, there must be a change of flux linkage.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by physicsmaths)
    no. The current doesn't change or drop afterwards, there must be a change of flux linkage.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Switch S is closed, circuit is completed so current starts to flow - shouldnt this cause change of flux linkage?
    (thanks for replying btw )

ReputationRep:
    help with 12b june 2011 unit 4 someone....
    plzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz..
    thnx in advance

ReputationRep:
    Switch S is closed, circuit is completed so current starts to flow - shouldnt this cause change of flux linkage?
    Ive got my answer to the question. Ill post it in a second.

ReputationRep:

we actually discussed this question in this thread a while back, but someone said the wording on the question was wrong according to their teacher and I was told current through a circuit shuts out faster when switch is opened, opposed to closed, even though it's a very very short fraction of time, that's the difference.. something to do with "switch mechanism"

ReputationRep:
    This was what I wrote,
    'Since there is a current in the wire there will be a magnetic field, now as the current decreases there will now be a change in flux therefore there is a change in flux linkage ib the coil. Since it has 'many turns' this change is large enough ti induce an emf and since the change is so fast the 'change in time' is small hence the emf is large enough to make it flash.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    The alpha particle and nucleus are both positive, so they repel each other , so the alpha particle decelerates as it approaches the nucleus (also F=kQ1Q2/r² so as r, which is the distance between the 2 charges decreases, the repulsive force increases, so as f=ma , there's deceleration). So the answer's B as the alpha decelerates until its speed is 0, but starts accelerating away afterwards .

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rabia reha)
    help with 12b june 2011 unit 4 someone....
    plzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz..
    thnx in advance
    find the gradient b/w any two points using m=y2-y1/x2-x1

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ambrina)
    find the gradient b/w any two points using m=y2-y1/x2-x1
    thnx a lot... i was doing it wrong all this tym... wasnt taking two points...
    got it right now.. thank u

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Best1)
    we actually discussed this question in this thread a while back, but someone said the wording on the question was wrong according to their teacher and I was told current through a circuit shuts out faster when switch is opened, opposed to closed, even though it's a very very short fraction of time, that's the difference.. something to do with "switch mechanism"
    oh **** i shouldve checked. thanks a lot though and goodluck!

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.