R E J E C T E D Watch

allymcb2
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Drogue)
Any evidence to support that? Or just a few friends?
Everyone I've ever met bar 3. One of them was a woman who had no choice but to stay where she was because she had a husband and children and was going as a mature student.

That must be more than 100 people.
Blates as
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by allymcb2)
[/b]

You are in the minority.
I don't think I am. I think your views are the product of where you've studied and the friends you've made there - which is far from representative of this country's entire student population.
allymcb2
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Blates as)
I don't think I am. I think your views are the product of where you've studied and the friends you've made there - which is far from representative of this country's entire student population.
But quite representative of Oxbridge applicants seeing as they make up a large proportion of the people.
Blates as
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
But quite representative of Oxbridge applicants...
That was my point - you share the views of probably the majority of oxbridge applicants, but not the entire student body.

seeing as they make up a large proportion of the people.
Oxbrdige applicants actually make up a relatively small amount of the total student body - 6% in 2005, or 28,150 of 438,624 applicants (not individual university applications, which was over 2 million). Therefore I'd be more inclined to say that your views are those of the minority, not mine.
allymcb2
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
That was my point - you share the views of probably the majority of oxbridge applicants, but not the entire student body.

Oxbrdige applicants actually make up a relatively small amount of the total student body - 6% in 2005, or 28,150 of 438,624 applicants (not individual university applications, which was over 2 million). Therefore I'd be more inclined to say that your views are those of the minority, not mine.

Yes, but we were discussing whether people might get rejected from Manchester if Manchester thought it was their third choice or lower on the list of universities when they had applied before the deadline and appeared to be applying for Oxbridge. Someone made the point that they didn't know where the applicant would rather go to, and I counterracted that point by saying that most oxbridge applicants would prefer Durham/ one of the London unis or Bristol or Edinburgh before Manchester, making it the third choice or lower.

The entire discussion was about oxbridge applicants.
Blates as
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I still think you make huge generalisatoins based on you're own and your friends' preferences, and then try to pass them off as fact.
kizer
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
^^ I agree with Ally here - we are talking about Oxbridge applicants, and very few of them have Manchester as second choice. Disputing that is pointless, because it's obvious.
pageygal
Badges: 0
Report 12 years ago
I had a rejection from Bristol to study Geography but also applied to Oxford. I have AAAA at AS and predicted AAA a level. I couldn't have asked for better references and I think I explained my love for the subject in my personal statement. I cant see what more I can do. I have contacted them asking why no reply as yet. So I understand what you are going through. I don't think I will get into Oxford so Bristol was going to be my first choice.
D-503
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Commiserations to anyone who has been rejected by one of their other choices, but some of the posts on this issue (this is not a specifically loaded reference to yours by the way, pageygal) are unbelievably arrogant. There is nothing special about applying to Oxbridge colleges. Loads of people at my school have come to see themselves as an elite so it's become a bit of a pet peeve of mine. Firstly, they are just universities, not validations of selfworth. Secondly, do you think other unis are supposed to be impressed that you are applying to Oxbridge? Maybe you just weren't smart enough, rather than it being a question of them trying to second guess whether or not you'll get an offer. Sorry if this isn't the hot-water bottle answer that people who are whining about this want, but really....
menzoberranzen
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by healyisgod)
Commiserations to anyone who has been rejected by one of their other choices, but some of the posts on this issue (this is not a specifically loaded reference to yours by the way, pageygal) are unbelievably arrogant. There is nothing special about applying to Oxbridge colleges. Loads of people at my school have come to see themselves as an elite so it's become a bit of a pet peeve of mine. Firstly, they are just universities, not validations of selfworth. Secondly, do you think other unis are supposed to be impressed that you are applying to Oxbridge? Maybe you just weren't smart enough, rather than it being a question of them trying to second guess whether or not you'll get an offer. Sorry if this isn't the hot-water bottle answer that people who are whining about this want, but really....

Oxbridge applicants are god's gifts to mankind, you should know better.
allymcb2
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I still think you make huge generalisatoins based on you're own and your friends' preferences, and then try to pass them off as fact.
Well, I know about 100 people from my school. I talked to about 15 who went on a law conference. I've spoken about uni choices to about 30 people at Oxford. I spoke to about 5 people applying to cambridge last year. I spoke to about 5 people who didn't get into Oxford this year. I know about 5 people's uni choices from the year above. I went on an oxbridge interview preparation weekend and spoke to about 10 people about their uni choices. Plus friends of the family, people I met randomly doing extracurricular stuff. There were 3 people who didn't go on league tables. One was my ex-boyfriend who started uni about 8 years ago, another was a friends' boyfriend who is doing a phD, and another was a friend of my mums who was already married with a kid when she started her degree so went local.

So out of a sample of 200 people, that works out at 1.5%, with special circumstances. Have you got anything better?
Kerrigan
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I went to Cambridge (1998-2001) and had Manchester down as my second choice. I happen to be from the NW of England and like Manchester.

This does not of course, prove anything.
kizer
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by healyisgod)

There's arrogance, then there are facts. Students who go to Oxbridge get the best A Level results, by miles. Students who apply to Oxbridge tend to have excellent grades. They may not be excellent students, given A Levels these days, but as a general group, they are at the top of applicants.

'Maybe you just weren't smart enough' - true. But equally, maybe they didn't see the point of offering the place to someone who wouldn't go there, making it almost impossible to get the right number of people on their courses (it is not unusual for universities to wildly over and under offer).
Drogue
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
But they don't know where you apply or what your preferences are, and they don't lose anything by giving someone who's amazing but who they expect to go elsewhere an offer.

It's not about being smart enough, it's about different universities looking for different things. That can be emphasis on PS over grades, or subjects over results, or it can be personalities, motivation, teachability, etc. that they look for. We don't know. Someone can easily be good enough to get into Oxbridge and not good enough to get into somewhere else, because the universities decide what's good enough on different criteria.
mousy
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Drogue)
But they don't know where you apply or what your preferences are, and they don't lose anything by giving someone who's amazing but who they expect to go elsewhere an offer.

It's not about being smart enough, it's about different universities looking for different things. That can be emphasis on PS over grades, or subjects over results, or it can be personalities, motivation, teachability, etc. that they look for. We don't know. Someone can easily be good enough to get into Oxbridge and not good enough to get into somewhere else, because the universities decide what's good enough on different criteria.
Fair point, durham for example seems to lay more emphasis on the number of A*s an applicant has achieved (in particular for history) than oxbridge. Therefore a very strong applicant may get into oxbridge due to a good interview, but not into durham because they dont have enough A*s at GCSE.
username61396
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I was rejected without interview by Imperial last year.

It won't make the slightest bit of difference.
catherinethegreat
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Don't forget, although your grades are very good, a lot of people are now predicted 4 As, and playing an instrument etc. is unlikely to affect your application.

When i went to oxford for an open day, the tutor said he didn't understand why people put things like that in their personal statement, that it didn't matter what instruments you play, or what languages you speak, he said oxbridge choose the best people, and good extra curricular activities often come with that.

You can't assume you will get into every uni you apply to. A friend of mine was applying last year and only got one offer, from Oxford, he got rejections from all his other choices, so if they think you have a strong chance of getting into oxbridge and it looks like you might be applying, then they may not want to risk offering you a place which you would certainly not accept
Jigglypuff
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Exactly. Oxbridge generally has about 5 applicants per place, whereas Bristol often has 20. This 20 will include Oxbridge applicants (all the people you're up against at Oxford, for example, plus the people who have applied to Cambridge- remember you will be up against both sets of applicants) and lots of people who are predicted AAA+ but who didn't apply to Oxbridge. And it's true about lowering the offers...I had an interview at Southampton and the interviewer asked me if I would accept the offer and I said I didn't know because I liked Warwick a lot. My offer was really low, so maybe they were trying to tempt me away from 'better' universities.
hobnob
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
To be quite honest, I don't really see why people are making such a fuss about being rejected when they weren't intending to take up the place anyway. The point of the application system isn't to get as many offers as possible, it's to get one offer you actually want to accept (and possibly a second choice in case something goes horribly wrong). I'm sure it's flattering to know that every single university you applied to is dead keen on having you, but in the end, once you've accepted one it won't matter how many other offers you got.
kizer
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by abrp)
fact is..imo there is no such thing as being rejected for being "too good".

if i am correct..there are more applicants per place to read a subject at UNis such as Bristol than at Oxbridge (maybe wrong though).

also...a class mate of mine whos applied to Oxbrige, LSe , Harvard, Yale, Stanford etc (6A*, [email protected] GCSE, 7 A @ AS, predicted all A at A2, rugby squad, community service, own business which makes a profit, senior prefect etc etc) got offered BBB @ Bristol to read economics.

just shows you that if you are infact "too good" they will offer you lower grade requirements and not just reject you.

Wow, perfect logic.

More applicants per place - true. But worse applicants, in general. No flaming please, look at the average grades of applicants to each uni.

And what's this you say?! 1 person you know with a pretty good application got in to Bristol? Thank god for that conclusive proof!

Of course not every excellent applicant is rejected by unis like Bristol, Manchester, Durham... but it happens. That's all.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (481)
37.76%
No - but I will (98)
7.69%
No - I don't want to (88)
6.91%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (607)
47.65%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise