why do A-Level Students Look Down on BTEC's? Watch

scrunkie
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Lulumise)
They said they dropped out due to illness, unfortunately that is something even the elite can't control and I understand everyone wants to do well but not everything is about Oxford and Cambridge ALL the time. People go to uni to get into the career they want and are happy with if that involves Oxford then fair enough good luck to you, if it does not involve Oxford? Same applies.

People are not always interested in the highest paying job, they are interested in doing a job that they love and are not going to regret. Oxford and Cambridge etc are not the be all and end all of life xxx

I didn't say that. I was making a point. Oxbridge doesn't accept Btecs, showing that they are not as respected as A-Levels and are clearly not equivalent.

I don't go to Oxford or Cambridge so not quite sure what you're getting at.
gabriellakhan
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by lisamb)
I would love to know you're evidence for this, in my college group (health and social care) we have people with offers/interviews for Cardiff, York, Nottingham, UEA, Sussex, Bath and plenty more. I can't wait for one of these "dumbos" you speak of to be your nurses or social workers!
They still aren't jobs. Besides when I become a doctor they'll be even dumber in my eyes being nurses.
tanya21
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by AB2)
Same currently I have so much work to do, I ask my a-level friends they just say "revision" and they also complain of only get 4 pieces of work I'm like girl, get into my position and you would wish you only had 4 pieces of work to do. From the start of my first year of level 3 I forced myself to get used to using the havard referencing way, because at uni you'll have to do the same, lol I think BTEC students are probably masters at referencing.:cool:
We don't get spoon fed either, that's why we get set so little work. We have to decide for ourselves what needs doing, so when i say i've got so much work, it's work I've set myself. (Please note i regard BTECs highly just saying )
Princepieman
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by scrunkie)
I didn't say that. I was making a point. Oxbridge doesn't accept Btecs, showing that they are not as respected as A-Levels and are clearly not equivalent.

I don't go to Oxford or Cambridge so not quite sure what you're getting at.
It's funny how you are wrong..

Oxford accepts BTEC Computing/IT alongside A-Level Maths - so no, they do accept BTECs. Not to the same extent, but they do.

P.S. don't really care about the argument because i'm doing the Scottish equivalent of A-levels anyway. Just wanted refute your point

Posted from TSR Mobile
German123
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Gott)
I didn't know universities accepted Btecs
Yes, some universities accept Btecs.
German123
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Gott)
But of course they'd prefer applicants with A levels
No, it depends on the course. For example for medicine obviously no Btec student will get an offer but for stuff like, lets say media studies they may prefer Btec students as it is mainly practical.
Princepieman
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Gott)
Scottish highers are like Btecs anyway, second rate lol
Oh, yeah, come back to me with all your resits and remarks then we'll see who's second rate. Why the crap do you think Advanced Highers have more UCAS points than A-levels?

Highers are AS level and what I did last year, I'd rather you opened your eyes than blurt incessant nonsense.
German123
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Gott)
No.
German123
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Gott)
Yes

No, end of.
German123
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Gott)
Media studies is a Btec (as in the general obloquy) subject anyway :rolleyes:
No, there is A level media and the bottom line is, it depends on what you want to study at uni with regards to taking A levels or Btecs.
capachino
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
i did business btec ,it was btec business or no business ,why do you look down on business all major profitable organisations are businesses most of the worlds richest people are business people or have business people woking behind them whether its starbucks or microsoft the latest music album or film

you think your better than that?
German123
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Gott)
Sorry, yes
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=1006524
German123
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Gott)
It wouldn't have been an example of one where Btec is preferred over A level if there wasn't, make up your mind. Of course it depends what your doing at uni but saying Btec goes well with Media Studies doesn't say much for Btecs
No, i was just giving an example and you know what i mean.
yt7777
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Gott)
95% of UK Universities accept BTEC including Oxbridge, its not second rate at all, its for people who know what they want to do in life university and career wise and are much more employable than having A level.
Princepieman
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Gott)
Who said anything about resits and UCAS points?
I'm giving examples of how Scottish qualifications are more difficult, A-level module resits allow people to get higher grades than they otherwise wouldn't have.

Seriously, at least educate yourself somewhat before you blast out crap you don't know. It seems to be a recurring theme on TSR.
German123
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Gott)
You knew what I meant, that Universities value A levels as more academic but I can see why they'd prefer Btecs for joke subjects like media studies

Media studies is not a joke, you actually have to be creative and i know a person who is getting E's which is like a fail.

Everyone seems to belittle subjects that are creative and i have even heard that they want to scrap drama GCSE.
lisamb
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by gabriellakhan)
They still aren't jobs. Besides when I become a doctor they'll be even dumber in my eyes being nurses.
Well it's not impossible to become a doctor from a BTEC a student my lecturer had actually went on to do a biomedical degree and then started medicine. It depends on the person, and most people don't come out of A-Levels and become doctors either.
Are you a medical student then?
Princepieman
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Gott)
Are we talking about the reformed A levels or even the current A levels where there are no modular retakes or A levels historically?
Obviously, the latter. The reforms would just make them equal to Advanced Highers, which is reflected in the new UCAS point system.
Oxford Computer Science Dept
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by scrunkie)
I didn't say that. I was making a point. Oxbridge doesn't accept Btecs, showing that they are not as respected as A-Levels and are clearly not equivalent. .
(Original post by Princepieman)
It's funny how you are wrong..

Oxford accepts BTEC Computing/IT alongside A-Level Maths - so no, they do accept BTECs. Not to the same extent, but they do.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Just to clarify, yes we do, for our Computer Science degrees, accept the BTEC National Extended Diploma in IT. A conditional offer will normally be: DDD in the Extended Diploma and A* in A Level in Maths, Further Maths or Computing, including at least A in A Level Maths.

However, although Computer Science may suggest a more vocational style of learning, the courses are strongly academic in their focus. Academic qualifications such as A-levels, the International Baccalaureate or any other academic equivalent are strongly recommended as the best preparation for any course of study at Oxford, rather than BTECs.

So although it is possible to apply based on a BTEC, off the top of my head I can't think of a single successful candidate in the last few years who's applied on that basis. (Although we have seen the odd candidate who's done a lower level BTEC alongside three or more A Levels.)
yt7777
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Gott)
You knew what I meant, that Universities value A levels as more academic but I can see why they'd prefer Btecs for joke subjects like media studies
My BTEC got me onto a Computer Science degree and a few of my friends got into Electronic and Mechanical Engineering through BTEC (at good universities), it provides just as good if not better preparation for these vocational subject areas - just because its more vocational in nature dosent mean its easier.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (1)
10%
No (9)
90%

Watched Threads