Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shannolivia)
    What are the strengths and weakness of the social, developmental and psychodynamic approaches/perspective?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Social:
    Strengths:
    1) Provides explanation for phenomena (i.e situational obedience in Milgram can provide explanation to the holocaust)
    2) Strong support for the nuture side of the nature-nurture debate
    3) Helps understand how behaviour can be situation/influenced by others
    4) Often conducted in a natural enviornment
    Weaknesses:
    1)underestimates individual differences
    2) fails to emphasise that behaviour has historical context as well as cultural.
    3) reductionist
    4) ethical issues
    Developmental:
    Strengths:
    1) commonly longitudinal so can track changes over time
    2) provides evidence for both sides of the nature-nurture debate
    3) useful for application to the development of children
    Weaknesses:
    1) ethical issues
    2) focuses only on childhood
    Psychodynamic:
    Strengths:
    1) Allows psychologists to suggest causes for mental disorders
    2)Allows psychologists to suggest why individuals behave in ways that cannot be easily explained or understood.
    3) Allows psychologists to see development over time
    Weaknesses:
    1) Unrepresentative samples
    2) methodology not objective and therefore open to bias
    3) perspective is based on concepts which are difficult to test and verify scientifically
    4) ethical concerns

ReputationRep:
    What are the strengths and weakness of the social, developmental and psychodynamic approaches/perspective?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    These are basic comments that are applicable to the approaches/perspectives. It is important to note that practical applications is a strength in all. Reductionist is a weakness in all but individual differences and developmental approaches. And scientific procedures, low ecological validity, ethical issues all appear on a frequent bases (low eco validity and scientific procedures match on just the cognitive, physiological and behaviourist approaches/perspectives). Only 6 marks can be gained if less then 2 strengths and 2 weaknesses given.
    Social =
    Practical applications = Helps benefit society
    Collects both qual and quant data = Can objective conclude eplanations into behaviour with reasoning
    Ethical issues = Damages reputation of psychology
    Reductionist = Limits usefulness.

Developmental =
    Adds to nature/nurture debate = Inspires future research into debate
    Low ecological validity = Cannot generalise findings to real life
    Ethical issues = Damages reputation of psychology

Psychodynamic =
    Focus on individual = Gathers info about unique behaviour and understand reasoning (to create treatment)
    Subjective = Lower credibility of psychology
    Reductionist = Limits the usefulness

(Original post by em1123)
    Strengths and weaknesses of quasi experiments?
    Ok panicking now because our teacher didn't email us the right sheets.
    Um, here are the studies under quasi experiments: Griffiths, Maguire, Sperry, Baron-Cohen, Savage-Rumbaugh.

High controls = Increased validity
    IV may be impractical/unethical to manipulate = No ethical issues so does not effect reputation of psychology
    Participants already assigned to condition = May lack validity as extraneous variables

I'd suggest high controls = demand chracteristics but I'm not entirely sure. These were primarily from Maguire as I couldn't find the Sperry booklet or the evaluation sheet for Griffiths and Baron-Cohen.

Savage-Rumbaugh is sort of a quasi experiment but it isn't talked about in the booklet as much.

ReputationRep:
    I'm really panicking now because I think I've forgot everything I've revised. This is not good

ReputationRep:
    anyone know any possible improvements for milgram and bandura?

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Can someone please also give 1 main assumption of these approaches??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cathrinobrown)
    anyone know any possible improvements for milgram and bandura?
    Ethical issues would be an easy one for both.

Ecological validity for both. The situations the participants were put in for both studies is very unusual and therefore would imitation or obedience be found in real life situations?

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys, I was just wondering if you could let me know if the exam tomorrow in core studies is morning or afternoon.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rstlss)
    Can someone please also give 1 main assumption of these approaches??
    Psychodynamic - behaviour is determined by forces in your unconscious mind. You develop through pyschosexual stages, and problems in these stages may affect your later life

Social - behaviour is largely defined by the social context in which you live in, no matter if someone else is present or not

Development - your experiences in childhood determine who you will be as an adult, acknowledging the importance of both Nature and Nuture

These are only one example, there are others

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yo radical one)
    Hey guys, I was just wondering if you could let me know if the exam tomorrow in core studies is morning or afternoon.
    Afternoon. Are you prepared for it?

ReputationRep:
    It's in the afternoon

ReputationRep:
    Yeah psychodynamic approach hasnt come up yet (behaviourist was last years) and neither has samuel and bryant yet..

ReputationRep:
    So im predicting it will be them two but obvs revise the rest too as you never know with these examiners nowadays!

ReputationRep:
    I'm really stuck on improvements! And evaluating them I have no idea!?!

ReputationRep:
    Improvements on? you mean the studies?

ReputationRep:
    Yeh I literally have no idea I left this way too late

ReputationRep:
    I guess its always ethical issues..thers always something not right ethically..as in either they havent been told the true aim of the study which could be fixed by debriefing the participants..

ReputationRep:
    Yea dw so did i! think its gonna be a late night for me I dont know any of the studies in the detail that we need to know them or the approaches perspectives strengths weaknesses..aaaaand everything else lol i dont! I have business tomm morning thats been stressing me out more tbh!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lizcookk)
    I'm really stuck on improvements! And evaluating them I have no idea!?!
    Studies most likely to come up

- Piliavin

- Milgram

- Griffiths

Possible changes:

- Milgram = change sample to add females, make it a questionnaire instead of electric shock test to improve ethics

- Piliavin = change the procedure of 11am-3pm to longer hours, makes more valid as more valid sample can be ontained

- Griffiths = make longitudinal, can study gamblers better

ReputationRep:
    Ok how would you evaluate it though and they are two 8 mark questions!

ReputationRep:
    just always think ethically..

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: September 9, 2015

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.