Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alexzandrazoo)
    Wow, I had no idea that the system was so efficiant.I'm way more anxious to perform well at the interview now! I hope some super rich people do well in the interview too :P
    But yeah that's why the interviews are so super important for us. Let's hope all the more financially fortunate do really well !! Plus If I only get a partial scholarship I might try and fundraise some funds.

ReputationRep:
    Do you guys know if our parents have to sign the college choice form as well , or is it just us? Like, if our parents aren't coming to the interview day how will they be able to sign it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Calsiwm_Silicad)
    Do you guys know if our parents have to sign the college choice form as well , or is it just us? Like, if our parents aren't coming to the interview day how will they be able to sign it?
    they seem prepared for people coming alone so I'm sure they'll have thought of that-maybe they post it home to be signed?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    I'm in your boat - I totally need a scholarship to think about going. I think the scholarships work on a merit and needs basis. When they've picked the 54 they then rank them in order ( best first and then worst successful applicant 54th) they then check people's financial situation to see how much everyone can afford to pay. So say you finish 10th and me 11th , but all the people above us can afford to pay then they'll pay and we'll have first access to funds. But say we're respectively 50th and 51st the scholarship pot would've run out and we'd be offered full fee paying places we couldn't afford and thus wouldn't go. I'm aiming for top 20 to hopefully get a full scholarship but it totally depends on the financial situation of those above me! But if we don't try we won't get!!
    This is correct! Hence why I didn't make the cut for one haha.

But really, it's more like top 5-7 that get a fully funded place. The rest get a sliding scale level of support based on income and their position in the ranking.

Hopefully you don't have ridiculously smart people in your group.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Princepieman)

But really, it's more like top 5-7 that get a fully funded place. The rest get a sliding scale level of support based on income and their position in the ranking.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Wait , so the top five get scholarships whether they need them or not?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Wait , so the top five get scholarships whether they need them or not?
    Nah, it's still based on need. If they don't need it, they won't be considered for a scholarship at all.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Good luck everyone! Greetings from a procrastinating second year at UWCRCN. I was looking at uni forums, and surprisingly saw this discussion in the sidebar.

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    What sort of topics did people present in your group? I'm looking for inspiration because I keep coming up with stuff that isn't doable for me. And also, how in depth did your knowledge of current issues and the news need to be?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joulupukki)
    Good luck everyone! Greetings from a procrastinating second year at UWCRCN. I was looking at uni forums, and surprisingly saw this discussion in the sidebar.
    That's awesome! Thanks! Did you apply through UWCGB as well?

ReputationRep:
    Nah, it's still based on need. If they don't need it, they won't be considered for a scholarship at all.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    ah okay phew! Thanks for your reassurance !!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by swissor)
    What sort of topics did people present in your group? I'm looking for inspiration because I keep coming up with stuff that isn't doable for me. And also, how in depth did your knowledge of current issues and the news need to be?
    What sorta stuff are you coming up with and what do you mean "isn't doable for you"?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Just whatever they felt was close to them. One girl spoke about her volunteer trips to CR where she looked after turtles facing the pressures of environmental waste, someone else brought a sample of craft work that they worked on in their woodwork club that they founded to inspire children in their local area and another, talked about their commitment to education; how they'd regularly set up peer to peer tutoring networks at school.

I brought a picture of my sax in and talked about how I used to teach little kids to express themselves through music, then made everyone do a French pop dance routine hahaha.

I'd say be aware of what's happening around you, definitely keep an open ear to the various issues that have taken (and continue to) take place in the world. But most importantly, have an opinion on them, engage in why you think these things happen.

For the most part, they will focus on how a global education would motivate you, and in turn, how you can use this education to benefit the world. Learn the UWC ethos inside out, internalise the ideals and vision of the movement, because at the end of the day, that's what you'll be subscribing to as a student and as an alumnus.

Hope that adds some colour.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Just whatever they felt was close to them. One girl spoke about her volunteer trips to CR where she looked after turtles facing the pressures of environmental waste, someone else brought a sample of craft work that they worked on in their woodwork club that they founded to inspire children in their local area and another, talked about their commitment to education; how they'd regularly set up peer to peer tutoring networks at school.

I brought a picture of my sax in and talked about how I used to teach little kids to express themselves through music, then made everyone do a French pop dance routine hahaha.

I'd say be aware of what's happening around you, definitely keep an open ear to the various issues that have taken (and continue to) take place in the world. But most importantly, have an opinion on them, engage in why you think these things happen.

For the most part, they will focus on how a global education would motivate you, and in turn, how you can use this education to benefit the world. Learn the UWC ethos inside out, internalise the ideals and vision of the movement, because at the end of the day, that's what you'll be subscribing to as a student and as an alumnus.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yeah that definitely helps narrow things down because the information pack they sent was quite vague to me. And well done for getting them to dance! I hadn't though about getting the other candidates active during my presentation but I'll definitely consider incorporating that
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Yeah that definitely helps narrow things down because the information pack they sent was quite vague to me. And well done for getting them to dance! I hadn't though about getting the other candidates active during my presentation but I'll definitely consider incorporating that
    No problem!

The main thing is to get the idea of 'sounding impressive' out of your head. If you have enough passion, and conviction to speak succinctly about a topic/activity that is close to you, the impressiveness will flow out of that.

ReputationRep:
    What sorta stuff are you coming up with and what do you mean "isn't doable for you"?
    Well I decided not to talk about my voluntary work, which would be a good topic but want probably be asked about that during interviews. So I want to get my personality across during the presentation and I'm just really conscious that there'll be 10 mins of questioning on the topic, so I'm just cycling through the randomest facts about me and trying to get something concrete that I can make into a presentation. If that makes sense 😁

ReputationRep:
    No problem!

The main thing is to get the idea of 'sounding impressive' out of your head. If you have enough passion, and conviction to speak succinctly about a topic/activity that is close to you, the impressiveness will flow out of that.
    Yeah, that's great advice and if everyone else in the group does go for that, I can stand out by being genuine👍

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I'm intrigued as to what this girl brought in as her object.. A turtle ? environmental waste?

ReputationRep:
    No problem!

Would you advise me not talking about my volunteer trip to Africa as my presentation , as I might end up sounding like I'm trying to brag or sound impressive. I get sarcastic when i'm nervous and I sound cocky when sarcastic and I really don't want to come across like that.. Would it be best to steer clear of something like that? Or should i focus on something else like maybe teaching everyone how to memorise a pack of cards or something like that. Aaaah I'm over thinking everything now!!!

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm thinking of talking about body image and why it's really important for young people to look after their bodies. It's from a really personal point of view as I and several friends have had problems with disordered eating, so I think I could talk passionately about it. Do you think that's a good idea? I can't really think of much else :-/

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Would you advise me not talking about my volunteer trip to Africa as my presentation , as I might end up sounding like I'm trying to brag or sound impressive. I get sarcastic when i'm nervous and I sound cocky when sarcastic and I really don't want to come across like that.. Would it be best to steer clear of something like that? Or should i focus on something else like maybe teaching everyone how to memorise a pack of cards or something like that. Aaaah I'm over thinking everything now!!!
    I'm not OP but I really really like the idea of card memorisation! Fun and you can get others to join in

Posted from TSR Mobile

University open days

• University of Warwick
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
  • University of Sheffield
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.