Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .Vanessa.)
    I'm very worried.

Looking at everyone's elses experience makes me scared
    Don't be worried! I didn't have a whole lot of experience either. I had worked with elderly care and done a few children's after school clubs/summer camps but I had no clinical experience with children. They are much more interested in the type of person you are, your qualities and they don't expect you to be a great nurse now because you haven't even started, they look for what you could be! I worried myself silly looking at all the people who had done 'gap medic', loads of hospital placements etc etc but I still got an offer from my first choice uni (and my second) so stay positive and confident in yourself xx

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys! I'm new, I've just sent off my application. Don't know when I'll get any kind of communication from them until February! (I'm so impatient) 😂

Branch: children's nursing

Universities applied for: (in order)
    Kings College London
    University of Greenwich (avery hill)
    University of Worcester
    University of Surrey
    University of Brighton

Experience: I worked in a pre-school for 6 months, also have worked closely with a childminding business. Hopefully getting future work either in a care home (just for experience) or locally there is a learning disability school I might apply there for voluntary work! I've also been in care and looked after all my siblings, taking on a motherly role (I'm 17 btw) and so it's all transferrable skills I guess!

It's nice to hear from everyone else! Keep updating!

-Kirsty x

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sansarya)
    So jealous of everyone getting interviews already! Ucas will probably be closed by the time my boss decides to send me my reference
    Over here me too, I think my tutor is taking her time, I've sent her a request from UCAS like thousand times and even emailed her saying ASAP but I'm not sure if she understands English at all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KingK16)
    Over here me too, I think my tutor is taking her time, I've sent her a request from UCAS like thousand times and even emailed her saying ASAP but I'm not sure if she understands English at all.
    So frustrating isnt it! I've just sent my boss an email reminding her. Hope your tutor sends yours soon

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sansarya)
    So frustrating isnt it! I've just sent my boss an email reminding her. Hope your tutor sends yours soon
    Yeah I'm gonna wait for her till wed and if she doesn't then I am going to get someone else SMH. Hope you get yours soon too. What course you applying for and which Uni's have you chosen tho, if you don't mind me asking.

ReputationRep:
    Hi just wanted to say good luck to you all and I hope you get places. I applied for January starts and haven't heard anything after three years I think I need to take the hint! So good luck everyone

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Misty66)
    Hi just wanted to say good luck to you all and I hope you get places. I applied for January starts and haven't heard anything after three years I think I need to take the hint! So good luck everyone
    Hey,
    What do you mean you haven't heard anything in 3 years?

Mel

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys,
    I'm applying for Adult Nursing in the following uni's;
    City University London
    University of Hertfordshire
    London South Bank University (not sure about this one!)
    Anglia Ruskin (Chelmsford campus)
    Buckinghamshire (Luton)

So I've heard that sending off your application early (like REALLY early, November-ish) can increase the chance of getting an offer, in particular, unconditional offers. Is this true? Has anyone sent off their application already or planning to send it soon?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mursalxxo)
    Hey guys,
    I'm applying for Adult Nursing in the following uni's;
    City University London
    University of Hertfordshire
    London South Bank University (not sure about this one!)
    Anglia Ruskin (Chelmsford campus)
    Buckinghamshire (Luton)

So I've heard that sending off your application early (like REALLY early, November-ish) can increase the chance of getting an offer, in particular, unconditional offers. Is this true? Has anyone sent off their application already or planning to send it soon?
    Yup im all set up to send my aplication of this week i have filled in my application just need my school to fill in my refrence

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rose1709)
    Yup im all set up to send my aplication of this week i have filled in my application just need my school to fill in my refrence
    Omg you're stressing me out now! I've finished my personal statement but my school haven't done ANYTHING yet as they were focusing on the 'special' students ie. medicine/dentistry or oxbridge applicants

I feel so behind now lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mursalxxo)
    Omg you're stressing me out now! I've finished my personal statement but my school haven't done ANYTHING yet as they were focusing on the 'special' students ie. medicine/dentistry or oxbridge applican
    I feel so behind now lol.
    Omg didnt mean to make u worry you its just because i retook a year last year so i just want to make sure i get everything done thats all

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rose1709)
    Omg didnt mean to make u worry you its just because i retook a year last year so i just want to make sure i get everything done thats all
    Ah okay haha. Still I'd rather send off my application sooner, but my school are being *****!! However tomorrow is the deadline for the early applicants so hopefully after this they'll start paying attention to the rest of us lmao

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I'm applying for Adult nursing at University of Liverpool, University of Manchester, and Edge Hill University. I have a BSc degree in biomedical science but I've recently had a change of heart about my career and now I'm set on Nursing
    I haven't got much healthcare experience though (I'm starting voluntary work in a local hospice tomorrow)... Looking at the experience others seem to have on this thread, I'm starting to worry

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AndyB.IsMe)
    Hey, I'm applying for Adult nursing at University of Liverpool, University of Manchester, and Edge Hill University. I have a BSc degree in biomedical science but I've recently had a change of heart about my career and now I'm set on Nursing
    I haven't got much healthcare experience though (I'm starting voluntary work in a local hospice tomorrow)... Looking at the experience others seem to have on this thread, I'm starting to worry
    Honestly, I wouldn't worry about it too much!

-Kirsty

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AndyB.IsMe)
    I have applied for Adult Nursing following my first degree BSc Hons Public Health Nutrition.

I too have no healthcare experience - I've been to quite a few open days already and all have said that healthcare experience is not necessary, I think your work experience in the hospice will be plenty enough I too am waiting to start some voluntary work on a hospital ward so hoping that will boost my application as I've mentioned it in my personal statement

ReputationRep:
    Branch: Adult
    Uni(s) applying to: Brighton (Sept '16, Feb '17, Sep '17)
    Relevant experience/extra info: Mature student currently studying Health & Social Care degree with the OU. 11 years experience in home care, nursing homes and hospitals as a HCA. Looking to get seconded my by trust. If I finish my degree before I get a secondment I may apply or pgdip at Surrey & Southampton, just depending on finance.

ReputationRep:
    I got rejected from Kingston today. (Child PgDip so don't panic undergrads!)

Not sure of the reason, hoping to get some feedback tomorrow. I think it might be where I started Adult Nursing before a few years ago but fingers crossed not everyone sees that as a negative!

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    I'm applying for Manchester, Manchester met, Sheffield, Kings and Leeds. My A- levels are psychology, sociology and health and social care. I did GCSE science last year in college but failed with a D. However, I have a applied BTEC from high school but they were very crafty and sly as they would always drill in our heads "BTEC is basically considered a GCSE" Which yeah it is an equivalent but they prefer the real thing. I was just wondering if universities would accept me if I don't have my science, I did really well in all my AS with A in socio and B psy. And dist* in H&S. Also people have said because I'm male I would get in and no it wasn't just fellow student but also teachers but they don't know I failed science. I know how important it is but I understand biology and how the body works one of the health and social units this year is anatomy and physiology which I've put on UCAS. If you could just answer my two questions.
    Will they take it as bad not having the C for science?
    And do they actually Favor males more for a balanced ratio?
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JJW182015)
    Hi,
    I'm applying for Manchester, Manchester met, Sheffield, Kings and Leeds. My A- levels are psychology, sociology and health and social care. I did GCSE science last year in college but failed with a D. However, I have a applied BTEC from high school but they were very crafty and sly as they would always drill in our heads "BTEC is basically considered a GCSE" Which yeah it is an equivalent but they prefer the real thing. I was just wondering if universities would accept me if I don't have my science, I did really well in all my AS with A in socio and B psy. And dist* in H&S. Also people have said because I'm male I would get in and no it wasn't just fellow student but also teachers but they don't know I failed science. I know how important it is but I understand biology and how the body works one of the health and social units this year is anatomy and physiology which I've put on UCAS. If you could just answer my two questions.
    Will they take it as bad not having the C for science?
    And do they actually Favor males more for a balanced ratio?
    Thanks
    Hey,

There are some universities that don't actually require a GCSE Science as myself don't have the GCSE science but instead got a Level 2 OCR Science and most of the Uni's told me that they will take this into consideration. As long as you have other related back up subjects related to the course which you do have with fairly good grades So you should be alright but just to be sure email the Uni's with your grades and everything and ask them if you're gonna meet the requirements.

For the other question, Im not too sure but thinking about it now I think they do because there aren't many males who applies for nursing so they might take you as the one with 'confident with your career' kind of thing. Does that make sense, hope that made sense.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KingK16)
    Hey,

There are some universities that don't actually require a GCSE Science as myself don't have the GCSE science but instead got a Level 2 OCR Science and most of the Uni's told me that they will take this into consideration. As long as you have other related back up subjects related to the course which you do have with fairly good grades So you should be alright but just to be sure email the Uni's with your grades and everything and ask them if you're gonna meet the requirements.

For the other question, Im not too sure but thinking about it now I think they do because there aren't many males who applies for nursing so they might take you as the one with 'confident with your career' kind of thing. Does that make sense, hope that made sense.
    Thank you for the reply yeah I seen that on some of the requirements like on MMU you need science but if you do health and social care lvl 3 they only need engl+maths. University of Manchester also don't mention science. I will email them before this week thanks for the advice and I know at first I thought about the male thing but ill just have to wait and see if they take me into consideration like you said.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 31, 2016
Poll
Cats or dogs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.