Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    one more question - does anyone know how much consideration they take into the exceptional difficulty/circumstance section and whether any other reference besides your school reference is acceptable? thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a209150)
    Can you help me with what to put in?
    Like qualities?
    Which section are you stuck on?

ReputationRep:
    Im putting in Healthwatch and a care home for kids and elderly as my two experiences to explain. In healthwatch we worked in a small group and interacted with the community presented stuff in meetings, but how do i put it in really good words?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Anyone know how one is suppose to count the number of hours I've done for St Johns Ambulance since I've been doing it for a year and half on duties whenever I can?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vka94)
    Anyone know how one is suppose to count the number of hours I've done for St Johns Ambulance since I've been doing it for a year and half on duties whenever I can?
    The number of hours is just an approximation and the university is aware that you can't possible count it to the last hours so just give it a rough estimate and remember that full marks in the R&R form is for 160 hours so as long as you exceed this you are in line for full marks if your voluntary work is good.
    Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    I know for the Manchester non-academic form you are not allowed to copy and paste from your personal statement, does this apply to the Keele form as well? Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HCAssistant93)
    I know for the Manchester non-academic form you are not allowed to copy and paste from your personal statement, does this apply to the Keele form as well? Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
    No one is really sure but I think its safe not to just incase

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mizzyportia)
    No one is really sure but I think its safe not to just incase
    Hmm Ye. I have emailed them so will see if I get a response

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mutayymate)
    Any graduates been asked to send a transcript? I don't feel like this is a good sign at all :'(
    Don't worry, I was asked for my transcript last year and I still got in I asked their reason after and they said it was because they wanted to check the level of chemistry in my previous degree as I didn't get an A in chemistry at A level. I did Medical Science for my first degree so they were happy that was enough chemistry. Hope that reassures you!

ReputationRep:
    Hmm Ye. I have emailed them so will see if I get a response

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Hopefully you get a response tomorrow let me know what they say

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cravez)
    Can I copy and paste sections from my PS into the form?
    The point of the R&R form is to go into more detail about one or two experiences/responsibilities you have done. They already have your personal statement and will read it so this is your chance to really shine and tell how your experiences affected you and what you have learnt. Try not to repeat your personal statement, I know its hard but its a waste of words when they already have it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amy2411)
    Don't worry, I was asked for my transcript last year and I still got in I asked their reason after and they said it was because they wanted to check the level of chemistry in my previous degree as I didn't get an A in chemistry at A level. I did Medical Science for my first degree so they were happy that was enough chemistry. Hope that reassures you!
    Thank you, was really getting worried!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mizzyportia)
    The number of hours is just an approximation and the university is aware that you can't possible count it to the last hours so just give it a rough estimate and remember that full marks in the R&R form is for 160 hours so as long as you exceed this you are in line for full marks if your voluntary work is good.
    Good luck!
    You mentioned 160 hours. In their email they say "maximum credit for duration of work experience is given for more than 160 hours"

Do you know if that means this credit is for the duration of more than 160 hours of the work experience you have explained about in the questions, or for the total four work experiences you have listed at the beginning of the form?

Hope that makes sense!

ReputationRep:
    The point of the R&R form is to go into more detail about one or two experiences/responsibilities you have done. They already have your personal statement and will read it so this is your chance to really shine and tell how your experiences affected you and what you have learnt. Try not to repeat your personal statement, I know its hard but its a waste of words when they already have it!
    Well this has stressed me now. I went into a lot of detail in my personal statement about my job last year cos I was a HCA for 10 months! I have 280 words on it and it's hard to condense it. I can't be more specific about a 10 month job role 😥

Also, they don't look at your statement until interview?! How are people going into detail then about more than one with 200 words? I have 195 words but it's 1204 characters 😩

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SAmandha)
    You mentioned 160 hours. In their email they say "maximum credit for duration of work experience is given for more than 160 hours"

Do you know if that means this credit is for the duration of more than 160 hours of the work experience you have explained about in the questions, or for the total four work experiences you have listed at the beginning of the form?

Hope that makes sense!
    I think I understand your question
    But when I was reading their website they said that for the maximum score on the R&R form, you need a minimum of volunteering total hours for the four listed at the beginning to be 160 hours if you have higher it doesn't really matter as long as you have 160 hours just go into detail in what you did hands on when explaining to get full credit content wise.
    Hope this helps!

ReputationRep:
    Well this has stressed me now. I went into a lot of detail in my personal statement about my job last year cos I was a HCA for 10 months! I have 280 words on it and it's hard to condense it. I can't be more specific about a 10 month job role 😥

Don't stress! Being an HCA for 10 months is brilliant experience! I wrote about just a couple of moments I had as an HCA caring for oncology patients and how their look on life changed me as a person. List a few of the key responsibilities you had then try and think of something that really made you stop or something that sticks out in your mind and talk about what you learnt

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Don't stress! Being an HCA for 10 months is brilliant experience! I wrote about just a couple of moments I had as an HCA caring for oncology patients and how their look on life changed me as a person. List a few of the key responsibilities you had then try and think of something that really made you stop or something that sticks out in your mind and talk about what you learnt

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I don't know how to focus on all the things I did and give personal accounts of individual patients in 1100 characters? Am I missing something! I don't get how you're all doing it in like zero words. I think the trouble I'm having is I was given a lot of responsibility which was brilliant and I want to talk about it all but it is proving hard to condense.

I don't see how I can't be similar to your personal statement? There are only so many ways you can reinvent yourself! They look at that at the interview stage and R&R before, so surely you'd want to say as much as you could in R&R to almost act as a PS??

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I don't know how to focus on all the things I did and give personal accounts of individual patients in 1100 characters? Am I missing something! I don't get how you're all doing it in like zero words. I think the trouble I'm having is I was given a lot of responsibility which was brilliant and I want to talk about it all but it is proving hard to condense.

I don't see how I can't be similar to your personal statement? There are only so many ways you can reinvent yourself! They look at that at the interview stage and R&R before, so surely you'd want to say as much as you could in R&R to almost act as a PS??

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I don't know if your questions have changed this year from ours last year but unfortunately part of the test is to see if you can condense all your experience down well enough into not very many words. I know it's really difficult, I stressed over it a lot last year but the main part I think is the hours of work experience you've done which it should calculate up (if it's the same), I had over 3000 hours but I've had a couple of years off since my last degree. You'll be fine I don't know what advice to give but to be ruthless and just cut it down and try and fit in all the types of words they like you to mention in a Medicine application and then briefly say what you learnt from your experience. Good luck

ReputationRep:
    I don't know if your questions have changed this year from ours last year but unfortunately part of the test is to see if you can condense all your experience down well enough into not very many words. I know it's really difficult, I stressed over it a lot last year but the main part I think is the hours of work experience you've done which it should calculate up (if it's the same), I had over 3000 hours but I've had a couple of years off since my last degree. You'll be fine I don't know what advice to give but to be ruthless and just cut it down and try and fit in all the types of words they like you to mention in a Medicine application and then briefly say what you learnt from your experience. Good luck
    I get what you mean! Thank you. I have 1650 hours plus working full Time this year which I have also mentioned.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I get what you mean! Thank you. I have 1650 hours plus working full Time this year which I have also mentioned.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Do you think it is acceptable to use the abbreviation HCA instead of writing out 'healthcare assistant'?
    I'm desperately trying to cut down on characters!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: January 15, 2017

University open days

• Southampton Solent University
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Sun, 18 Nov '18
  • University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.