Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    thanks, and anyone have any other advice on gcse history, and if you did gcse history can you please say the hardest part of it so I will know what to revise the most.

ReputationRep:
    History is harder

I got A* in Geography and B in History

ReputationRep:
    bump

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Txhmid)
    thanks, and anyone have any other advice on gcse history, and if you did gcse history can you please say the hardest part of it so I will know what to revise the most.
    Depends which topics you're doing, but I'd say that the hardest part is not the memorisation (not too much of that, compared with the sciences, etc.) but rather the technique. For example, in the essay-type questions which said that you had to use the source(s) provided and your own knowledge, apparently it's good to say, "I know from my own knowledge that...", even though it's terrible English (I'll admit I was the first to try that in the class). Btw, I took Edexcel History, so it may be different, I'm not sure.

ReputationRep:
    thanks, bump. I have an extended week to decide.

ReputationRep:
    WOAH YOU HAVE MY NAME IN REAL LIFE :OOO mine is Tahmid which I assumed is yours as well?

ReputationRep:
    yes XD

ReputationRep:
    At my school the geography teachers weren't the best so most people struggled whereas our history teachers where great so most did well. So what I am saying is do what you prefer and also look at your school and think if they will be able to offer the teaching you need

ReputationRep:
    ok i like both tbh but its a hard decision

ReputationRep:
    bump

ReputationRep:
    Oh also check the content you will be doing in both subjects, personally I would go history but then thats just me being bias

ReputationRep:
    in geography we are doing the Edexcel B syllabus, there is a lot of topics. this year is physical geog, year 11 is human geog. we do 1 topic a lesson. history the topics are: nazi germany; cold war; civil rights; Malcolm X and britain (forgot the dates for britain). For history we are doing OCR B

ReputationRep:
    in geography we are doing the Edexcel B syllabus, there is a lot of topics. this year is physical geog, year 11 is human geog. we do 1 topic a lesson. history the topics are: nazi germany; cold war; civil rights; Malcolm X and britain (forgot the dates for britain). For history we are doing OCR B
    I did AQA history but I did nazi germany and found that fun, I also did civil rights and Malcolm X which I enjoyed. I did the cold war in humanities and currently doing it at AS and find it rather boring and a drag

ReputationRep:
    thanks for your opinion 😀, bump

ReputationRep:
    bump

ReputationRep:
    bump

ReputationRep:
    We did the Cold War, too. Personally, it wasn't that bad, although it kinda depends whether you'd be doing the beginning part or the end of the Cold War. The first part was quite cool, but yes, the end, with all the revolutions etc., was a bit repetitive: basically, all the countries copied each other, with only minor variations, and then you had to learn the minor differences, and some very weird names to top it off. But I found the actual paper quite easy: perhaps because it was so repetitive, all the past papers are essentially the same

ReputationRep:
    I am currently deciding what to do for GCSE
    To be honest, I have looked at geog past papers, they seem easy. However I am interested in both but more in history, but for some reason I am finding it stressful to decide. Please help!
    I studied both History and geography at GCSE. In my opinion the exams themselves aren't that different and you require the same skills to answer both them. So you will have to learn case studies for geography, which you will use in your exam. Similarly you will study a period of history and will be expected to answer questions on that time period. Think about what you would like to study at A level, I much prefer History to geography however the History A level course at my school did not interest me at all, so I focused on my Geography paper more and ended up getting an A*. If you enjoy both it really is just a decision based on what you are going to do after Year 11. Hope this helps;

ReputationRep:
    interesting. my school doesn't do a level, we finish at year 11. bump

ReputationRep:
    Definetly history..
    Geography is mostly memorising and applying that knowledge.History,on the other hand,is more about evalutaing/explaining.Also the history exam is very short on time,you have to write quickly.In my opinion ,although it is harder,history is the better choice. Its so fun!

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.