• Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    :nope:
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Plagioclase)
    Mainly prolactin, oxytocin and endorphins according to Wikipedia.
    so it is like a really happy feeling then?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by CoolCavy)
    I didn't realise the TSR Cool Society would be host to such intensive biological discussion!
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    :nope:
    :yep:
    :yep:

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I didn't realise the TSR Cool Society would be host to such intensive biological discussion!
    hehehe this is ****ing mental! xD

biology ftw xD

ReputationRep:
    yeah i gathered that's why i don't like using the word or googling the answer but is it like an emotion or a physical thing or what?
    well... it's an emotion felt when you experience a physical thing. I'm trying so hard to keep it PG hahaha awh you're so innocent bless you stay that way
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by z33)
    well... it's an emotion felt when you experience a physical thing. I'm trying so hard to keep it PG hahaha awh you're so innocent bless you stay that way
    oh well now i know it is an emotion lol i'll try
    :grouphugs:

Is this cool enough for the Cool Society? I took this picture of a thin section I was looking at under the microscope today! It's basically a very, very thin slice of rock - every one of those distinct coloured blobs is a mineral crystal. The reason why they look so amazing is because the sample is in between two crossed polar filters which results in some interesting optical phenomena (which can help you diagnose the mineral) and there's also an additional filter that shifts the hue from greyscale to coloured. The colours pulsate when you rotate the stage! It's so cool...
    Spoiler:
    Show
    how do you get such a thin slice of rock?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by + polarity -)
    how do you get such a thin slice of rock?
    It takes a few stages. You firstly use a diamond saw to cut a relatively thin slice of rock and you use a special glue with the same refractive index as glass to mount the sample to a slide. You then, using a series of increasingly fine grinding surfaces, often using diamond (or other very hard substances) particles as abrasives, grind the surface down to 30 microns. If your rock isn't strong enough to withstand this process then you'd encase it in some other medium first to give it some structural integrity before grinding it down as per normal.

ReputationRep:
    OFC!! Share away
    I did anyway :lol: it's a few pages back...
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    here is a picture i took, hope it is cool enough for the cool soc

Name:  crow and pole.jpg
Views: 72
Size:  110.9 KB
    hope y'all like it

ReputationRep:
    Interesting!!!

ReputationRep:
    It takes a few stages. You firstly use a diamond saw to cut a relatively thin slice of rock and you use a special glue with the same refractive index as glass to mount the sample to a slide. You then, using a series of increasingly fine grinding surfaces, often using diamond (or other very hard substances) particles as abrasives, grind the surface down to 30 microns. If your rock isn't strong enough to withstand this process then you'd encase it in some other medium first to give it some structural integrity before grinding it down as per normal.
    That sounds so complex. :cool:

Aw, that's such an awesome photograph. 'Prsom' :cool:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team

Name:  crow and pole.jpg
Views: 72
Size:  110.9 KB
    hope y'all like it
    A flying guinea pig?!

ReputationRep:
    Welcome to the brand new fabulous 2016 official TSR Cool Society Chat Thread, for TSR Cool Society members (and anybody else who wants to say hello).

:llama:

Member list:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    • Plagioclase (Founder, overenthusiastic about rocks)
    • CoolCavy (Deputy and Cavia porcellus supremus)
    • Anon_98 (Honorary Fellow of the Royal Society of Happy, Friendly Cool Memes)
    • Edminzodo (凄い and Queen of the Old Kingdom)
    • Imperion (Head of Banterbury)
    • somemightsay888 (Above average memer)
    • Andy98 (Confused about gender)
    • jamestg (Lord Slayer and AS level Jedi)
    • LBS_187 (Master of loyalty and brilliantness)
    • picklescamp (Queen of style and loveliness)
    • thecatwithnohat (Puuuurrrfffeectt even without a hat!)
    • Alexion (Lord master Alexion of superbness)
    • Fleming1928 (High queen of down to earthness, history encyclopedianess, master of A levels and queen of beauty and stunningness and deputy2, also owner of the longest title)

I'm partial to a bit of olivine :pierre: Love that stuff!

Spoiler:
    Show
    :hello: i'm a geophysicist by training so know a tiny bit about rocks. P.S: I don't to join your club, just wanted to say hello!
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by rock_climber86)
    I'm partial to a bit of olivine :pierre: Love that stuff!
    Spoiler:
    Show
    :hello: i'm a geophysicist by training so know a tiny bit about rocks. P.S: I don't to join your club, just wanted to say hello!
    Hi! :hello: We've just started our first Geophysics module today, actually. Do you still work in the field?

ReputationRep:
    Hi! :hello: We've just started our first Geophysics module today, actually. Do you still work in the field?
    nah i graduated from uni with a geophysics degree and then became a bum!I didn't mean I was a professional geophysicist. Sorry if I gave you that impression! :eek: What did you learn in your module today?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    nah i graduated from uni with a geophysics degree and then became a bum!I didn't mean I was a professional geophysicist. Sorry if I gave you that impression! :eek: What did you learn in your module today?
    It was just a very basic introduction (P & S waves, surface waves; vertical, radial and transverse seismographs; bulk and shear moduli and how they relate to wave velocities). About to get started on the reading we've been suggested (Global Tectonics by Kearey & Vine - I think Vine was one of the major figures in proving plate tectonics, wasn't he?).

ReputationRep:
    It was just a very basic introduction (P & S waves, surface waves; vertical, radial and transverse seismographs; bulk and shear moduli and how they relate to wave velocities). About to get started on the reading we've been suggested (Global Tectonics by Kearey & Vine - I think Vine was one of the major figures in proving plate tectonics, wasn't he?).
    Didn't know his name off the top of my head but yer Vine was a legend. Free thinker and put all those sheep to shame when he was proved wrong. That's what I hate about the UK university system. Everyone gangs up on the underdog and publicly humiliates and shames them instead of encouraging free thinking and ingenuity. **** the UK academic institutions! Full of arrogant snobs! The lot of them!
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Didn't know his name off the top of my head but yer Vine was a legend. Free thinker and put all those sheep to shame when he was proved wrong. That's what I hate about the UK university system. Everyone gangs up on the underdog and publicly humiliates and shames them instead of encouraging free thinking and ingenuity. **** the UK academic institutions! Full of arrogant snobs! The lot of them!
    Oh dear, that doesn't give me a lot of optimism about my aim of going into research...

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.