Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Why are more people becoming Vegetarian? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PrimeEpoch)
    In my personal opinion, some people become veggie for the right reasons. My best friend is a veggie, and she has been for a really long time, but for all the right reasons though.

I think more people are becoming veggie because they want to look like they have morals, which seems to be a trend. This is also the main cause of radical feminism, where people argue about 'issues' for the sake of winning an argument or feeling better about their own person, not for the sake of resolving an actual issue. People like Anita Sarkeesian are great examples of this. Point being, people pretend to have morals to try and fit in to the social norm, but many of them wouldn't support these things otherwise.
    I don't know who that is, but telling people not to say bigoted and triggering things IS a good thing. People seem to think it's okay as long as it's from behind a screen, to be bullying ********s.

You have not stated what the right reasons are. I'd be interested to know why you think it is or isn't immoral to eat meat that has come from the meat industry?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by there's too much love)
    I don't know who that is, but telling people not to say bigoted and triggering things IS a good thing. People seem to think it's okay as long as it's from behind a screen, to be bullying ********s.

You have not stated what the right reasons are. I'd be interested to know why you think it is or isn't immoral to eat meat that has come from the meat industry?
    I'm sorry if I offended you in any way, but I did say in my personal opinion, not this is how it is. Does that not imply that there is more than one opinion, and I'm not necessarily right? I'm not actually being bigoted.

I never said that being veggie is a bad think in any way either, my best friend is one as I said. Being a veggie is great if you are genuinely concerned about the animals that are bred for meat, the way they are raised ect, then I fully support you being a veggie.

I assume when you call me a bully, you think I'm speaking out against feminists? I'm talking about the radical feminists, who say things just to create an argument. Radical feminism is much like radical religion, where these radicals make a certain group frowned upon. If you would've watched Anita Sarkeesian's videos, you would know what I'm talking about. Granted some things she says are true and should be spoken out against, but those are in the minority, whereas most things are in my opinion meant to make her more YouTube famous and in return get her more money. I completely support feminism, again, if you are a feminist for the right reasons.

I will and actually have voiced my opinions to those I know and very few have a problem with it if they actually understand what I'm saying. Once again, I'm sorry if I made you upset. I would like to ask you to think about what you're saying before throwing around names and accusations in the future though. I hope this cleared any confusion.

ReputationRep:
    I'm sorry if I offended you in any way, but I did say in my personal opinion, not this is how it is. Does that not imply that there is more than one opinion, and I'm not necessarily right? I'm not actually being bigoted.

I never said that being veggie is a bad think in any way either, my best friend is one as I said. Being a veggie is great if you are genuinely concerned about the animals that are bred for meat, the way they are raised ect, then I fully support you being a veggie.

I assume when you call me a bully, you think I'm speaking out against feminists? I'm talking about the radical feminists, who say things just to create an argument. Radical feminism is much like radical religion, where these radicals make a certain group frowned upon. If you would've watched Anita Sarkeesian's videos, you would know what I'm talking about. Granted some things she says are true and should be spoken out against, but those are in the minority, whereas most things are in my opinion meant to make her more YouTube famous and in return get her more money. I completely support feminism, again, if you are a feminist for the right reasons.

I will and actually have voiced my opinions to those I know and very few have a problem with it if they actually understand what I'm saying. Once again, I'm sorry if I made you upset. I would like to ask you to think about what you're saying before throwing around names and accusations in the future though. I hope this cleared any confusion.
    I didn't say you were a bully, I think you need to re-read my post, I posted why I disagree with you, I didn't say you were a bigoted bully, but you did offer them a defense that I disagree with.

And you don't understand what racial feminism is. It's a technical term relating to a specific theory. It is not feminists who want to go around cutting off men's dicks.

ReputationRep:
    I didn't say you were a bully, I think you need to re-read my post, I posted why I disagree with you, I didn't say you were a bigoted bully, but you did offer them a defense that I disagree with.

And you don't understand what racial feminism is. It's a technical term relating to a specific theory. It is not feminists who want to go around cutting off men's dicks.
    I can't seem to make any sense of your post, apart from you heavily implying that I am the stated things. If you could explain in a different way, that would help my understanding.

I assume by racial you mean radical (yes I know you have dyslexia, but I'm just saying it to avoid confusion).

Can I ask you what you think a radical feminist is? Every time I've seen the word used, it was used to describe extreme viewpoints, both for feminism and other areas.

ReputationRep:
    I can't seem to make any sense of your post, apart from you heavily implying that I am the stated things. If you could explain in a different way, that would help my understanding.

I assume by racial you mean radical (yes I know you have dyslexia, but I'm just saying it to avoid confusion).

Can I ask you what you think a radical feminist is? Every time I've seen the word used, it was used to describe extreme viewpoints, both for feminism and other areas.
    Yes, and I don't hold it against people who correct me, usually it's a good thing (rare occasions people do it to put me down, but I wasn't going to take your post like that).
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radical_feminism

I'm saying that to you it might seem like just winning an argument, but to many people in such arguments it's about 2 things:
    Changing people's minds.
    Stopping people from saying horribly bigoted things.

Sometimes it is about other things, like exploring one's own view, or the view of someone else, but, that appears to be the case far less often. At least in my experience.

ReputationRep:
    Estrogen in the water or something.

ReputationRep:
    why are all the hot girls becoming veggies?

ReputationRep:
    What does 'softer' mean?
    Are you linking any expression of morality or emotion to weakness? Or is it something else?

So you think you ought to be a vegetarian, you just can't be bothered?
    Well its less laziness and more a lack of restraint for meat; the fussiness thing is just a further incomvenience.

ReputationRep:
    "Radical feminism is a perspective within feminism that calls for a radical reordering of society in which male supremacy is eliminated in all social and economic contexts."
    Radical- "​believing or ​expressing the ​belief that there should be ​great or ​extreme ​social or ​political ​change"

I never implied that there aren't feminists who say things to actually change a belief or negative trend are doing the wrong thing, rather the ones who try so hard to change something without actually intending to improve anybody else's situation.

This is all beside the point anyway. Back to vegetarians...

ReputationRep:
    "Radical feminism is a perspective within feminism that calls for a radical reordering of society in which male supremacy is eliminated in all social and economic contexts."
    Radical- "​believing or ​expressing the ​belief that there should be ​great or ​extreme ​social or ​political ​change"

I never implied that there aren't feminists who say things to actually change a belief or negative trend are doing the wrong thing, rather the ones who try so hard to change something without actually intending to improve anybody else's situation.

This is all beside the point anyway. Back to vegetarians...
    The context you used was femnazis, as opposed to actually talking about the theory radical feminism. You used the term incorrectly. What you meant to say is: extremist.

ReputationRep:
    Theres some that just dont eat meat in general. But majority wise its because vegetarians do not like the slaughtering of animals. They find it inhumane to eat slaughtered animals. I guess majority wise its become the norm.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    The context you used was femnazis, as opposed to actually talking about the theory radical feminism. You used the term incorrectly. What you meant to say is: extremist.
    That whole thing wasn't even relevant to my point, the point was that I think some people become veggies to fit in with social norms and trends, not because they care about animals.

ReputationRep:
    That whole thing wasn't even relevant to my point, the point was that I think some people become veggies to fit in with social norms and trends, not because they care about animals.
    Some or most?

ReputationRep:
    I'd be vegetarian if my parents would allow it :lol:

Not really for the sake of farm animals, but because it's better for the environment and body.

ReputationRep:
    So you are saying that being a vegetarian is considered a social norm?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mehrdad jafari)
    So you are saying that being a vegetarian is considered a social norm?
    Not really, you should read my original post.

ReputationRep:
    Some or most?
    I can't really say most with no stats to back myself up with, so some.

ReputationRep:
    Well some of any large movement will be doing things for the wrong reasons. It's not really stating much.

ReputationRep:
    Well some of any large movement will be doing things for the wrong reasons. It's not really stating much.
    You know what I'm trying to say though, being pedantic doesn't really accomplish much.

ReputationRep:
    In my personal opinion, some people become veggie for the right reasons. My best friend is a veggie, and she has been for a really long time, but for all the right reasons though. I think more people are becoming veggie because they want to look like they have morals, which seems to be a trend. This is also the main cause of radical feminism, where people argue about 'issues' for the sake of winning an argument or feeling better about their own person, not for the sake of resolving an actual issue. People like Anita Sarkeesian are great examples of this. Point being, people pretend to have morals to try and fit in to the social norm, but many of them wouldn't support these things otherwise.

That sounds a bit strange. That either implies that you shouldn't turn into a vegetarian because of that, for the reason that people become vegetarian to seem to have morals, or that the intention of becoming a vegetarian on those grounds is a bad thing. If people choose to become vegetarians to pretend to have morals then at least they contribute towards the main goal, we don't want to know if they genuine morals. They won't be assessed for that.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.