Turn on thread page Beta

California girl looking for social hotspots in London watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SwedishRedhead)
    Where in Cali? Is summer always the best time to go?
    Late spring/early summer or late summer/early fall is the best time! Depends what you're into. If you like the atmosphere of the Pacific Northwest - redwood forests, San Francisco fog, coffee culture, misty beaches - go to NorCal. If you like palm trees, sun 24/7, warm beaches, surfing, go to SoCal, LA area. Either way, you'd love it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fullofsurprises)
    OK, well your biggest things are going to be the cold and damp until about the end of next April. Then you get 8-12 weeks of sun followed by more cold and damp. :lol:

Kings and UCL, you will be in the centre, so very close to loads of happening things if you are a party animal. Best thing is to network like crazy, as a lot of the fun stuff in London happens in groups of friends and in people's flats/homes. There are lots of clubs and stuff but they are super-pricey in central London, so if that's at all an issue, be warned. Being in London will be a lot more expensive for you than being in LA I suspect.

Beyond that you will need to get used to the Tube (those funny underground train things we use all the time), Buses (basically long double-decked limos with less sophisticated interiors and fixed routes - surprisingly, we all take them in London, not just very poor people), permanently and totally gridlocked roads (so forget driving completely) and bicycles. (Most of us prefer those now.)

Apart from the cold and rain, we have a lot of Culture. You may want to try some of it. :teehee:

Advance welcomes to London! :hugs:
    I've been to London once this past summer. I've used the Tube, buses, overground trains, coaches, taxis, basically everything, so I'm familiar with that, but now I have a long list of places to check out that I didn't even know about! I'm looking forward to it along with the cold and rain! And thanks for the welcome((:

Hmm not sure if should spill on ALL the secret places

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by S-man10)
    Hmm not sure if should spill on ALL the secret places
    Why, does one include your house?

ReputationRep:
    I want to live in America when I'm older ! Hope you enjoy your time in London

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by grvcex97)
    Late spring/early summer or late summer/early fall is the best time! Depends what you're into. If you like the atmosphere of the Pacific Northwest - redwood forests, San Francisco fog, coffee culture, misty beaches - go to NorCal. If you like palm trees, sun 24/7, warm beaches, surfing, go to SoCal, LA area. Either way, you'd love it!
    You been to San Diego before?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jam277)
    You been to San Diego before?
    yes, many times!

Why, does one include your house?
    Nope nothing to do with that

London is a bit like new york where if you know a few people and the city a bit there are always a gem of secret locations mapped around.

It could your local too depending on where you live

ReputationRep:
    Student nights:

XOYO (Monday)
    Ministry (Tuesday)
    Guys bar/walkabout (Wednesday - you need to be a kings student, and free entry for the legendary GB)
    Picadilly institute/Nest (Thursday - STRONGLY advice against PI)
    Saucy (Friday - an LSE event but open for everyone)

Look out of the odd student event at Shaka Zulu, Fabric, Sway Bar and Coronet

Or if you're rich: mayfair

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xotol)
    Student nights:

XOYO (Monday)
    Ministry (Tuesday)
    Guys bar/walkabout (Wednesday - you need to be a kings student, and free entry for the legendary GB)

PI ain't that bad
    Ministry is quite good.
    If you fancy some good afro tunes, check cokobar in East London. Loads of clubs in that area as well. They do r&b as well and the usual.
    Soho clubs are famous I'd say, though be very selective hehe

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I'm on a program that will either enroll me in LSBU, UCL, or King's. Depending on how I hold up with my grades this term I'll qualify for either one of those. Where do you study?
    On a gap year atm, will start studying at UCL next September though. How does the whole enrolling thing for you guys work though?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iAre Teh Lejend)
    It's the internet, I wouldn't put it past him to not be serious.
    Lmao. Are you a dental student in London? Feel like I've seen your face somewhere before.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AliRizzo)
    Lmao. Are you a dental student in London? Feel like I've seen your face somewhere before.
    I'm a dental student, from London, not in London though

ReputationRep:
    yes, taking notes and googling everything hahaha. why, what's wrong with Edgware Road? I'm starting to think some people are trying to endanger me lol
    loooool nothing wrong with Edgware Road if you're looking for a good shisha cafe. It's not dangerous but it's not really something you'd suggest to a tourist unless they're arab.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by queen-bee)
    I'm not quick like that, I would get caught and then end up crying. I just know it and then fined or arrested
    I think what you meant to say was: "That's not how we ladies behave"* :flutter:

What's Liverpool like,no offence but that accent is just something else
    My father's side of the family have 'that accent', so watch yourself missy! :mmm:

And now middle class people ********s* can't seem to get enough of it :mmm:
    Corrected for thee

Westfield .. I've only been to the one at my end (west)
    Me too. Was a nice enough place, if you're into malls, albeit that I felt like I was the only white guy in the whole place :erm:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Foo.mp3)

My father's side of the family have 'that accent', so watch yourself missy! :mmm:

Corrected for thee

Me too. Was a nice enough place, if you're into malls, albeit that I felt like I was the only white guy in the whole place :erm:
    Hahaha I love that song

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Foo.mp3)

Corrected for thee

I would rather ask for the money than get caught trying to jump the barriers

I'm sorry but I find it funny alittle. They had this scouser character on eastenders once and I couldn't stop laughing every time he spoke.

Tell me about it. Hipsters everywhere!

Oh really? Full of Arabs so many Arabs who live in the area. How did it feel being the only native? I want to check out both,I hear the Stratford one is even better

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xotol)
    Student nights:

XOYO (Monday)
    Ministry (Tuesday)

Where are good places to go in Mayfair that you don't have to have connections to visit?

queen-bee, Foo.mp3 what is the Hipster area in London? I have enough of them from Stockholm, I try to avoid them in other countries haha :lol:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yemiprecious)
    PI ain't that bad
    Ministry is quite good.
    If you fancy some good afro tunes, check cokobar in East London. Loads of clubs in that area as well. They do r&b as well and the usual.
    Soho clubs are famous I'd say, though be very selective hehe

Posted from TSR Mobile
    PI is trash. Who even goes there anymore? I've been clubbing regularly for over 2 years now, and since my days as a noob first year I don't know anyone who even considers going there on a night out. Even as a last resort, people will just settle for having a house party.

And ministry is by far the best out of the standard student nights out. Great venue (especially when the box is open), reasonable prices and great music.

Where are good places to go in Mayfair that you don't have to have connections to visit?

queen-bee, Foo.mp3 what is the Hipster area in London? I have enough of them from Stockholm, I try to avoid them in other countries haha :lol:
    I don't know, I'm too poor to even consider a night out in mayfair.

ReputationRep:
    what is the Hipster area in London? I have enough of them from Stockholm, I try to avoid them in other countries haha :lol:
    Shoreditch.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.