Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

My favourite pro veganism quotation! watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rock_climber86)
    With reference to Hitler, he only ate a vegetarian diet towards the end of his life just because his doctor recommended it and told him it would make him live longer. He was not compassionate towards animals. In fact 99% of his life he lived as a meat-eater, just like you meat-eating savages. So I really don't see what you are trying to prove saying he was a vegetarian? Hardly a role model for the meat-eaters on here either :rolleyes: Let's agree he was a psychopathic maniac who tried various diets during his life. The fact he ate meat, or a vegetarian diet is inconsequential to this debate about the ethics of eating animals.
    Trololol c'mon dude I'm obviously kidding

ReputationRep:
    I have non-vegan friends too (most of them are non-vegan). I don't go on about how savage meat-eaters are in real life (mostly, unless asked for an opinion), only on the internet (mostly). Yes they can co-exist side by side, but meat-eaters seriously need to open their eyes as to where their food comes from and become more compassionate. Eating meat, cheese, eggs and drinking milk is cruel and inhumane.
    That's the problem with society. People like you sit behind their keyboard and bash away. Comparing rapists and paedophiles to meat eaters is so extreme, I think you don't actually believe it. You wouldn't dare say that to someone in person. You make offensive posts on the internet because you can...but in person you don't stand up for what you believe in. I've seen other lovely vege/vegans criticize your approach. It's hypocritical. I can deal with being called a savage. But to be compared to with a paedophile? That's a disgrace and should not be allowed. Thats an abuse of your right to free speech.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scrotgrot)
    Of course animals feel fear at the moment of death (as they would in the wild). So ensure they are stunned prior to slaighter or otherwise killed humanely. It remains that animals living on the farm, or even lining up at the abattoir, do not understand that their death warrant is signed.

They do not understand the abstract concept of freedom. Close confinement is obviously uncomfortable for more immediate reasons and not the sort of practice I would support.

As for animals moving from pasture to pasture to milking shed or whatever, I accept that they might get fed up of the same surroudings every day, but submit that the routine is no more oppressive than humans going to work, sitting at home etc.

Animals however do not understand the abstract concept that by living on a farm they are unfree. Really they have it better than humans in this respect...

No, it means we can take eggs laid by hens and they will be none the wiser and continue to brood. In this case the point about separation from young is specious because it plainly does not cause distress to the hens. For a cow separated from her calf who then has to have her tits pumped by a machine every morning I am on your side.
    I argue that laying eggs is painful and rearing hens for a life of egg laying is cruel and inhumane. I also argue you cannot have humane slaughter of animals. Death is painful no matter how you do it. As for animals leading a better life than humans, that is not true. We have holidays, we don't get killed against our will (on the most part), we have a say what happened to us. Imagine if another animal species were of equal intelligence and we shared our planet with them. Imagine if a chimp was on equal footing as humans in terms of development. If they bred humans as slaves or for their meat, we wouldn't be outraged no? Similarly us keeping them as pets in zoos and breeding other animals for meat is outrageous. It is not right to kill an animal. Its is morally and environmentally unjustified seeing as we can live a more healthy life in this day and age on a Vegan diet. Not being Vegan is a choice, and a bad choice at that.

ReputationRep:
    I mean Pythagoras didn't exist, so...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tysonmaniac)
    I mean Pythagoras didn't exist, so...
    :lolwut:

ReputationRep:
    And also other than that, while I kind of endorse veganism, I think the fact that there are so many smart people who have thought about it and decided not to be vegetarian/vegan is a good indication that we should exercise scepticism.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tysonmaniac)
    And also other than that, while I kind of endorse veganism, I think the fact that there are so many smart people who have thought about it and decided not to be vegetarian/vegan is a good indication that we should exercise scepticism.
    Strange logic. There are many highly intelligent religious people, too..
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Interesting links. If anorexics or people with eating disorders choose to go veggie or cegan to hide their disorder that is hardly thy the fault of the diet.
    I never said it was the fault of the diet, I said the diet is often a disguising method and that vegetarians and vegans are far more likely to have eating disorders. They're also far more likely to suffer from anxiety and an irregular menstrual cycle...

Also my diet doesn't cause the death of animals. My diet and lifestyle choice is all about not causing the death and destruction of animals.
    :facepalm: I didn't say diet, but animals have to die for us to survive - that is how it's always been, we destroy hundreds of ecosystems to build our cities so we have somewhere to live. We destroy ecosystems for farm land so even the vegans have something to eat, we rip up ecosystems to mine for the materials we need to build the world around us, hundreds of animals die in failed drug trials to ensure our medicines are safe. The only way to avoid having animals die for you to survive every single day is to swear off modern life, to go off grid, living in a cave huddled for warmth like our ancestors. But then you've not got the supplements needed to replace the nutrients you miss from your diet from not eating animal products, so...

Finally we do not need to concert grazing land to farm land. There are enough crops grown to feed everyone as it stands. We just feed a lot of it to factory farmed animals. If you think all the animals you meat eaters eat are raised on pastures in cushy conditions then you are deluded.
    Errr no. You're still going to need to convert that land to meet supply because a lot of animal feed isn't fit for human consumption, it's spent malts and grains from brewing, straw, by-products of confectionary manufacture, by products from processing of crops for human consumption. It's not all grains.

Now, next one of the ones you've ignored - we stop producing meat, what happens to all the domesticated animals we have like cats, dogs, reptiles and other meat eaters; they can't survive in the wild and you can't feed them a vegetarian diet. What are you feeding them if there's no more meat being produced?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Now we have reached this so emlightened md advamced stage of our lives we do not need to et meat to survive. Why are we still eating it? Also i'm with pythagoras on the first point. We cannot expect to not have wars or murder until we treat animals as equals. You probably think it's backwards because you can't grasp this concept without being a Vegan.
    If we stopped eating meat overnight what do we do about the huge numbers of animals we've reared for food? They'll take up land space and would be killed in the wild because they're essentially domestic animals now. Also what about the thousands (at the very least) who'd lose their jobs?

I don't understand because it's wrong, don't talk down to me as though you're in some elite club because you choose to live on leaves

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stiff Little Fingers)
    :facepalm: I didn't say diet, but animals have to die for us to survive
    This is rubbish. You are not a very smart person for thinking the above is true. I will no longer reply to you because you are not receptive to logic or reason. You are a lost cause. Good day to you Sir

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Underscore__)
    If we stopped eating meat overnight what do we do about the huge numbers of animals we've reared for food? They'll take up land space and would be killed in the wild because they're essentially domestic animals now. Also what about the thousands (at the very least) who'd lose their jobs?

I don't understand because it's wrong, don't talk down to me as though you're in some elite club because you choose to live on leaves

Posted from TSR Mobile
    What we do? We let them live out their natural lives and control their breeding. What the difference would be under than scenario and the current scenario is that their population wouldn't be increasing, and would eventually decrease to a manageable level. As for your argument about space, that is frankly rubbish. How can the same population require more land? If you are thinking about caged animals being released then I could argue that we could have a Gestation period where we breed no more animals but allow the meat-eaters to have their "last meat supper", hence reducing the captive population to a more manageable level. We could also keep them where they are till they die or natural causes - that would not require anymore land.

And I am not talking you down. We are having a discussion and you are on the losing side because you have no credible justification for eating meat, morally or for environmental reasons. You are effectively making this thing up about me being part of an elite club and effectively accusing me of bullying because you have nothing else to defend your meat-eating views with. If that is the case, I argue to take a look within yourself and REALLY ask yourself whether what you are doing and what you eat is right or wrong, if even you can't come up with a good argument to defend it.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    This is rubbish. You are not a very smart person for thinking the above is true. I will no longer reply to you because you are not receptive to logic or reason. You are a lost cause. Good day to you Sir
    No, it's 100% true no matter how much you want to deny it - we've dehomed and ultimately killed millions of animals to create the world around us, and given the use of things like pesticides, plenty of insects are killed on a daily basis just to provide your food, even if you're not eating meat. The truth doesn't cease to exist just because you don't want to accept it.

ReputationRep:
    What we do? We let them live out their natural lives and control their breeding. What the difference would be under than scenario and the current scenario is that their population wouldn't be increasing, and would eventually decrease to a manageable level. As for your argument about space, that is frankly rubbish. How can the same population require more land? If you are thinking about caged animals being released then I could argue that we could have a Gestation period where we breed no more animals but allow the meat-eaters to have their "last meat supper", hence reducing the captive population to a more manageable level. We could also keep them where they are till they die or natural causes - that would not require anymore land.
    'Control their breeding' - sounds a lot like kill offspring if they have too many. If we stopped eating meat the animal populations would increase and then require more land. What you're also completely ignoring is that most animals live on land owned by a farmer, if he can no longer make any money they are simply costing money which means he'll want them off his land and no one else will take them, then where do they go?

And I am not talking you down. We are having a discussion and you are on the losing side because you have no credible justification for eating meat, morally or for environmental reasons. You are effectively making this thing up about me being part of an elite club and effectively accusing me of bullying because you have nothing else to defend your meat-eating views with. If that is the case, I argue to take a look within yourself and REALLY ask yourself whether what you are doing and what you eat is right or wrong, if even you can't come up with a good argument to defend it.
    You said I wouldn't understand some ridiculous quote because I'm not a vegan, the manner in which you said it showed you think not eating meat makes you superior. I don't need to justify eating meat, it's simply the way of nature that certain animals die for food and like I've explained above the meat industry has grown too big to shut it down. Why do you not feel guilty taking away the life of innocent plants?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    :lolwut:
    I thought he was some one who was a triangle expert not vegetarian

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ihatePE)
    I thought he was some one who was a triangle expert not vegetarian
    He was both

ReputationRep:
    You are a meat-eating savage
    Thank you

ReputationRep:
    I need meat I can't live on salad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by daydreamer4life)
    This is my viewpoint as a vegan: Even if I had a neighbor who looked after chickens and loved them and didn't eat them, only used them for eggs, I STILL wouldn't buy eggs from them.
    1. After being a vegan for ethical reasons, I discovered how healthy being veganism is. Eggs are full of cholesterol and fat - what person who cares about their health is going to eat them?
    2. Eggs are essentially chicken menstruations - unfertilised waste. Thats enough to put me off.
    3. Everyone owning backyard chickens and free-range farms isn't sustainable - its how we started before getting to factory farms - watch the documentary Cowspiracy to find out more about this.
    huhhh really????? I never even thought it was that

ReputationRep:
    Veganism is for pretentious nonces.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by _icecream)
    mmmmm num num
    Not bad, what marinade have you got on those?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 30, 2015
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.