The Student Room Group

Arsenal will win the league this season

Scroll to see replies

Original post by sr90
Bournemouth (H)
Newcastle (H)
Sunderland (H)

Doesn't get much easier than that. I'll be stunned if all 3 of those games aren't comfortable victories.

Exactly. To be writing your season off after yesterday is nonsense. Besides, Arsenal lost to Southampton on New Year's Day last year in tumultuous and humiliating circumstances, but rebounded to be the in-form team (alongside Leicester) of the latter part of 2014/15, and the calendar year in general.
Original post by TornadoGR4
Okay...

Unless you're gonna be really nit-picky, it's essentially the same

As a result of that game (and City's game of course ) Arsenal are now less likely to win the league than City.Don't go by what I say,go by what the odds say.

Therefore it did make a difference.And a significant difference at that since Arsenal lost favouritism .

MacCay said that it doesn't mean the season is ruined -which I take to mean that they still have a good chance-and pointed out that Kompanys injury may well serve as some sort of compensation for the unexpected loss which I think many people will agree with.

However you did say that people had overreacted but since I didn't read the posts before yours I don't know whether they did or not.
But if they did I must express my surprise that they are apparently university students or at least studying A levels.

In effect Arsenal were expected to gain 1 point from this game albeit with a reasonable chance of all 3 ( assuming they were at least evens to win it ?) so they have lost a point.

It seems that a lot of people were expecting them to win it and so when they lost it it somehow seemed to be a far worse event.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by moggis
As a result of that game (and City's game of course ) Arsenal are now less likely to win the league than City.Don't go by what I say,go by what the odds say.

Therefore it did make a difference.And a significant difference at that since Arsenal lost favouritism .

MacCay said that it doesn't mean the season is ruined -which I take to mean that they still have a good chance-and pointed out that Kompanys injury may well serve as some sort of compensation for the unexpected loss which I think many people will agree with.

However you did say that people had overreacted but since I didn't read the posts before yours I don't know whether they did or not.
But if they did I must express my surprise that they are apparently university students or at least studying A levels.

In effect Arsenal were expected to gain 1 point from this game albeit with a reasonable chance of all 3 ( assuming they were at least evens to win it ?) so they have lost a point.

It seems that a lot of people were expecting them to win it and so when they lost it it somehow seemed to be a far worse event.

You're being unnecessarily pedantic - tornado was clearly saying that's not going to have ended their title hopes for the season, likewise Mackay.

Also, odds mean nothing at all, never take the bookies as gospel.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Lyrical Prodigy
Delete.

Lol agree Arsenal have about the same chance of winning the league as you have of not begging it
Original post by sr90
Bournemouth (H)
Newcastle (H)
Sunderland (H)

Doesn't get much easier than that. I'll be stunned if all 3 of those games aren't comfortable victories.

Now I'd save this for tomorrow but cba so just prepare to...

Thread revived.
Well I totally disagree.
I havnt been pedantic since I was about 12 years old edit ,actually 10 years old and a teacher put it in my report.

It's blindingly obvious that it won't have stopped their title hopes !!

But one of those stated clearly that it made no difference!!!!!!

What is wrong with people. It did. If you mean to say that he did not mean that it makes no difference and instead he meant that it didn't make as much difference as others had previously stated-posts which I hadn't seen-then fine,

But why not damn well say that then,lol.

Jesus.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Stiff Little Fingers
You're being unnecessarily pedantic - tornado was clearly saying that's not going to have ended their title hopes for the season, likewise Mackay.

Also, odds mean nothing at all, never take the bookies as gospel.

Posted from TSR Mobile

See post above.

Now as far as odds are concerned I don't know who you are or anything about you but I myself make my living solely from exploiting long term markets.

And have done for ten years. Ive been betting on them for 17 years.

And so I hope you will forgive me if I don't listen to general advice on what the odds mean from people I don't know.

Yeah I'm aware that the odds are occasionally wrong. In fact I subscribe to a well known professional gamblers ante post/long term tipping service and he has made a 50%* profit from his advices in the 2 years he has been going.

But in all that time he has yet to spot a Premiership price that was worth betting on.

Regardless,funnily enough one of the easiest ways to make money from betting on football or indeed from any other form of investment is,believe it or not,to actually mainly bet in accordance with who the bookies/market say is the favourite.(Only in incremental amounts though,edit the staking is very important)

Edit Thus you can be sure I already have money on both City and Arsenal so that whoever wins I will make a profit......even though most of the money was placed when the teams were the favourites! edit of course in the case of Arsenal a few of my bets on them were placed when they were 2nd favourites and I had a favourable position on City.

Obviously this can only work with long term markets .edit in short term markets you can only bet when you believe the odds are good value

Now I could explain a lot more but instead I will just point out that before tonight's big game I'm going to be betting on Arsenal even though they are second favourites!

Because if City lose then Arsenal should be favourites.

If City draw my bet on Arsenal will be fine.

Only if City win would my bet be in a worse position. But still not too bad a position.

When teams play on different days it's quite easy to exploit the markets.

Cheers

* there is no way he can keep this up of course and he himself has said he will be more than happy with 25%.

Also his football bets are more in the region of 20-25%
(edited 8 years ago)
By the way,never mind the professional gambler whose tips I follow,I myself have on this very forum given a small number of my own personal tips over the last couple of years.

Anyone who had bet on them would be over 100% up. Possibly as much as 200%.*

Now of course I wouldn't be able to keep that up but my last tip was Hampton and Richmond at 13-2 and they are now 4-1.

* I tipped Annan on the Betvic handicap at 33-1 and they tied meaning that this tip payed out at 16-1.

Nor was this a wishy washy tip. I said before I gave it that it was one of the best value bets I'd ever seen.

And it was.

Cheers
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by moggis
Well I totally disagree.
I havnt been pedantic since I was about 12 years old edit ,actually 10 years old and a teacher put it in my report.

It's blindingly obvious that it won't have stopped their title hopes !!

But one of those stated clearly that it made no difference!!!!!!

What is wrong with people. It did. If you mean to say that he did not mean that it makes no difference and instead he meant that it didn't make as much difference as others had previously stated-posts which I hadn't seen-then fine,

But why not damn well say that then,lol.

Jesus.

You are being pedantic though, what the two said is, in practice, the same thing - tornado was right in saying that a defeat at this stage makes no difference, because the title is never decided in December, or even February... They lost to Southampton, big whoop - that's not changed whether they'll win the title.

As for your bit about bookies - don't forget their odds are not the probability of something happening, they react massively to market forces so if all the money starts going on one side then the prices will fall even if the chances haven't increased. You cannot read into odds with any decent level of clarity.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hope you've all lumped your money on, I sure have

Posted from TSR Mobile
The more this thread gets bumped, the more the gunners will fall flat on their faces. To have only one away win in five, which will almost certainly become one win in six after the stoke game, certainly doesn't convince anyone of their credentials.
Oh, and the media continue to cook up things such as not being able to play their new signing due to national service, you can certainly guess which side they're on!
Yes, because City's credentials have definitely shown with a splendid 0-0 draw against Everton at the Etihad lol. You are being reactionary, Arsenal are clearly favourites for the title. City look lost atm.
City with no Kompany is probably their big issue. They have enough goals in their attack to win the title but you have to wonder if they will concede more without him in the side. At the moment, Man City have conceded the same number of goals as Arsenal and scored 2 more.

Man City do have an easier run in till the end of the season (fewer big games away than Arsenal) but they just haven't been convincing yet. You have to wonder if certain players will slack off thinking that Pellegrini won't be here past the summer and others like Yaya Toure who know they will be sold if Guardiola is appointed.
Original post by Zerforax
City with no Kompany is probably their big issue. They have enough goals in their attack to win the title but you have to wonder if they will concede more without him in the side. At the moment, Man City have conceded the same number of goals as Arsenal and scored 2 more.

Man City do have an easier run in till the end of the season (fewer big games away than Arsenal) but they just haven't been convincing yet. You have to wonder if certain players will slack off thinking that Pellegrini won't be here past the summer and others like Yaya Toure who know they will be sold if Guardiola is appointed.

I think City are turning the corner, the 0-0 draw suggests they are learning to cope without Kompany. But yeah it depends on the other players too, could they lose focus just because of speculation regarding their manager? We saw it happen before when Spurs' 2011-12 season stalled because their manager was linked with England
Original post by Zerforax

Yaya and Silva are both finished. Shadows of their former selves. City rely too much on Kompany. The Premier League pendulum has swung Arsenal's way.
Original post by shawn_o1
I think City are turning the corner, the 0-0 draw suggests they are learning to cope without Kompany. But yeah it depends on the other players too, could they lose focus just because of speculation regarding their manager? We saw it happen before when Spurs' 2011-12 season stalled because their manager was linked with England

It was a one-off v Everton. I doubt they've turned a corner based on one game.

Everton pretty much had everyone defending. Everton (or Lukaku) can't really unlock tight defences and relies on dominating in the air, but that's probably the strongest part of Demichelis' game.
City were pretty unlucky not to receive a stonewall penalty in stoppage time.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Diego Costa

Everton pretty much had everyone defending. Everton (or Lukaku) can't really unlock tight defences and relies on dominating in the air, but that's probably the strongest part of Demichelis' game.

Disagree. Lukaku has scored 19 goals this campaign, and - surprisingly - only 4 have been headers. Granted, though, he works best in the box and is perhaps best known for his aerial dominance. They can certainly play it on the deck, too, though. Deulefeu has enjoyed a great season, and Barkley seems to be thriving again after a dip last season.
besides, with Mohamed Elneny as defensive midfield, we're ready for anything tbh..

Quick Reply

Latest