x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Andy98)
    Oh I'm much better looking than Aph

Posted from TSR Mobile
    pic or it didn't happen

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by balanced)
    I don't think the minimum wage is authoritarian and I agree with you, but I believe that a good economy leads to a good society.
    Minimum wage is definitely authoritarian. You're asking individuals and private businesses to pay people the wage you want them to pay.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Little Toy Gun)
    Minimum wage is definitely authoritarian. You're asking individuals and private businesses to pay people the wage you want them to pay.
    I want businesses and individuals to pay people as much as is humanly possible for them to, the point of the minimum wage is to make sure that workers aren't being exploited by employers for cheap labour. It's libertarian if you look at it from the point of view of the workforce.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by James Milibanter)
    I want businesses and individuals to pay people as much as is humanly possible for them to, the point of the minimum wage is to make sure that workers aren't being exploited by employers for cheap labour. It's libertarian if you look at it from the point of view of the workforce.
    That's really not libertarian. From the point of view of the workforce, you also are restricting their freedom to charge less so they can be more competitive against other people.

But the fundamental thing is that you cannot really say anything's libertarian if it involves the state controlling what could have been freely decided by the market.
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    pic or it didn't happen
    Hahaha, remind me later

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    I guess however it also protects the freedom of workers by giving them money allowing them to afford a child etc.

ReputationRep:
    I guess however it also protects the freedom of workers by giving them money allowing them to afford a child etc.
    Does it change the fact that it's the state dictating what private businesses and individuals should do?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Irrelevant, those freedoms aren't really freedoms and are not enabled via a minimum wage, which is ultimately protectionism for the worker; illiberal and authoritarian

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    Irrelevant, those freedoms aren't really freedoms and are not enabled via a minimum wage, which is ultimately protectionism for the worker; illiberal and authoritarian

Posted from TSR Mobile
    But necessary none the less, in my opinion of course.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    But necessary none the less, in my opinion of course.
    What is necessary for what how?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    What is necessary for what how?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    The minimum wage as a protection for workers
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    The minimum wage as a protection for workers
    Did I not just declare it a protectionist policy?

It's also not necessary for some, and not protective for others

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Did I not just declare it a protectionist policy?

It's also not necessary for some, and not protective for others

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yes, and I agreed with you.

But for those who need it, it's there.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Yes, and I agreed with you.

But for those who need it, it's there.
    And then comes up the questionof need

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    And then comes up the questionof need

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Well in life one normally needs a job to live, if they can't get paid enough then they can't live, it's an employer's obligation to pay their staff a decent wage. That being said there are plenty of scenarios where an employer can pay less than the minimum wage in certain circumstances (voluntary work, internships, apprenticeships).
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Well in life one normally needs a job to live, if they can't get paid enough then they can't live, it's an employer's obligation to pay their staff a decent wage. That being said there are plenty of scenarios where an employer can pay less than the minimum wage in certain circumstances (voluntary work, internships, apprenticeships).
    It's the employer's obligation? Only because the law declares so. And a job is not a necessary condition, nor is it even a sufficient condition.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    It's the employer's obligation? Only because the law declares so. And a job is not a necessary condition, nor is it even a sufficient condition.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Not everyone can claim benefits, not everyone has savings to live on, therefore some either work or are in destitution. The fact one must be paid to work shows that it's not often all that voluntary, most people work because they have no choice but to, it's therefore the employer's duty to honour their side of the deal, and the minimum wage makes sure that they do.
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Not everyone can claim benefits, not everyone has savings to live on, therefore some either work or are in destitution. The fact one must be paid to work shows that it's not often all that voluntary, most people work because they have no choice but to, it's therefore the employer's duty to honour their side of the deal, and the minimum wage makes sure that they do.
    Could you two take this to the bar? It's highly off topic
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Reply to this in the bar given you aren't on mobile

That does not change the fact it is neither a necessary nor sufficient condition. And the only obligations are the legal ones, and given we're talking about without the legal ones, moral

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Does it change the fact that it's the state dictating what private businesses and individuals should do?
    No, so I guess it is authoritarian however I'm fine with it because it protects the freedoms of more workers than there are business owners if that makes sense.

Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.