Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I was wondering if you know anything about the mathematics degree and how well it's received by those studying it, if they like the tutors etc?

-Erin

ReputationRep:
    Hi again

I was wondering if you see Travel and Tourism as a weak subject and whether it would affect the chance of me receiving an offer
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by IKEAPanda37)
    Hi again

I was wondering if you see Travel and Tourism as a weak subject and whether it would affect the chance of me receiving an offer
    Hi,

What subject are you interested in studying and what level is your Travel and Tourism qualification? What other subjects did you take/are you taking?

Once I have a bit more info I'll pass your question on to the relevant admissions assistant

Persephone
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by asdf12)
    Hi,

I was wondering if you know anything about the mathematics degree and how well it's received by those studying it, if they like the tutors etc?

-Erin
    Hi Erin,

Might be worth asking some of the members of MathSoc? We also have a Maths student blogger on OnCourseToNCL - he gives a quick overview of the course here https://microsites.ncl.ac.uk/oncoursetoncl/maths-makes-stronger/

Hope that helps

Persephone

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Newcastle University)
    Hi,

What subject are you interested in studying and what level is your Travel and Tourism qualification? What other subjects did you take/are you taking?

Once I have a bit more info I'll pass your question on to the relevant admissions assistant

Persephone
    I'm interested in Modern Languages, Translation and Interpreting

A-level - I've done AS and I will continue it at A2,
    I'm also taking French, Geography and Economics (although I'm dropping either Geography or Economics at A2, so I'll have 3 A2s at the end
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by asdf12)
    Hi,

-Erin
    I've just finished my maths degree at Newcastle!! I am glad I chose Newcastle.
    The lecturers are really nice and friendly! It's well worth going to an open day because then you can have a tour around the school and meet some of the lecturers and current students too!

ReputationRep:
    Hey I was wondering if you could tell me about the employability and career choices of the following degrees.

Business management
    Marketing
    Marketing management

I attended an open day but it still didn't help decide which degree I want to study. Thank you
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by kamilla_)
    Hey I was wondering if you could tell me about the employability and career choices of the following degrees.

Business management
    Marketing
    Marketing management

I attended an open day but it still didn't help decide which degree I want to study. Thank you
    Hi,

This information relates to UK & EU, undergraduate & postgraduate leavers 2014/15. Hope it's useful

Business Management BA N200
    6 months after graduating 100% were in work or study
    £24,947 average salary, typical range £20,900 - 29,000
    Of those in employment, 91% were in professional or managerial jobs.
    Career choices included:
    Account Manager, TerraCycle UK Ltd
    Associate Business Consultant, CSC
    Business Administrator, NE Procurement
    Business Analyst, TalkTalk Business
    Civil Servant, Ministry of Defence
    DHL Operations Management Graduate, DHL
    Insurance Broker, Lloyds of London
    Management Consultant, Accenture LLP Programme Executive, The Prince's Trust
    Public Relations Assistant, Hong Kong Tourism Board
    Tactical Buyer, Hewlett Packard
    Trainee Marketing Manager, Next Retail Ltd

Marketing BSc N500
    6 months after graduating, 88% were in work or study£24,442 average salary, typical range £20,800 - 30,000
    Of those in employment, 90% were in professional or managerial jobs.
    Career choices included:
    Account Executive, Hogarth
    Associate Accountant, PricewaterhouseCoopers LLP
    Creative Services Assistant, Universal Pictures
    Graduate Trainee, Taylor Wimpey Plc
    Head of Marketing, Weekend Box Club
    Marketing and Communications Executive, SMRS Ltd
    Marketing Executive, Volkswagen Group
    Media Executive, All Response
    Media Public Relations Executive Intern, The Media Foundry
    Social Media Account Manager, Seven Media

Marketing and Management BA NN52
    6 months after graduating, 92% were in work or study£20,733 average salary, typical range £18,000 - 24,000
    Of those in employment, 93% were in professional or managerial jobs.
    Career choices included:
    Account Manager, Bacardi
    Digital Marketing Assistant, ITC Luxury Travel
    Graduate Recruiter and Development Co-ordinator, Baker & McKenzie LLP
    Marketing Executive, Warner Brothers
    Marketing Intern, Independents United Ltd
    Marketing Manager, Mahiki
    Promotions Executive, WHSmith Plc UK
    Marketing Partner, Live Sport

Persephone
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep

I'm also taking French, Geography and Economics (although I'm dropping either Geography or Economics at A2, so I'll have 3 A2s at the end
    Hi again

This was the response from the admissions assistant for Modern Languages, Translation and Interpreting:

We do view it as a weaker subject but would not discount it when making an offer. When it would become a disadvantage is if the applicant was made an offer and did not quite achieve the offer. We re-consider these students for any remaining places but in comparing against other students who just missed their offer, we may give preference to applicants with stronger subjects.

Hope that helps!

Persephone

ReputationRep:
    Hi again

This was the response from the admissions assistant for Modern Languages, Translation and Interpreting:

We do view it as a weaker subject but would not discount it when making an offer. When it would become a disadvantage is if the applicant was made an offer and did not quite achieve the offer. We re-consider these students for any remaining places but in comparing against other students who just missed their offer, we may give preference to applicants with stronger subjects.

Hope that helps!

Persephone
    That's very helpful, thank you so much

ReputationRep:
    Hi again,

Could you also tell me about the workload of a business or just an undergraduate student? I'm looking to study for a language exam during uni in my free time and I'll be living at home so won't go out much but how many hours on average do you have to study/read around the subject a day? I'm just wondering if i can manage all of that and a social life through societies etc.

Thanks

ReputationRep:

I do Modern Langauges at Newcastle, so if you have any questions about the course/school then please feel free to ask me!Also I did Geography A-level - the A2 course is brilliant, would definitely recommend you stick with it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kamilla_)
    Hi again,

Could you also tell me about the workload of a business or just an undergraduate student? I'm looking to study for a language exam during uni in my free time and I'll be living at home so won't go out much but how many hours on average do you have to study/read around the subject a day? I'm just wondering if i can manage all of that and a social life through societies etc.

Thanks
    I do German & Business, it depends what your approach to work is. I would say that for every contact hour you should spend two hours working independently too (for example, after a one hour lecture, spend two hours doing extra reading, typing up your notes etc)

ReputationRep:
    Good afternoon! I'm a student from Italy and I'm planning to go to a british university in Semptember. I've done all the UCAS procedure, resulting in having the University of Reading as my firm choice and the University of Birmingham as my insurance. I already have my exam results, which is 71, less than both Reading and Birmingham were asking for, but that doesn't represent the main issue for me: the actual problem is that I've given it a lot of thought and I'm not satisfied at all with my decision, and considering I'm going to be carrying a considerable debt on my shoulders, it would't be wise going to a uni that I'm not entirely keen on. So, I've been doing some research and I've found out that the University of Newcastle offers my chosen course, which is Classical studies and English, in Clearing and everything (modules, course description, Newcastle itself) appears lovely. Therefore, I tried to call Newcastle's Clearing Hotline but a registered voicemail said that clearing was now off. Is it because there are no places left or because we have to wait for the 18th of August to call?
    Also, even if it was the second option, mine doesn't represent the traditional situation: I haven't (yet, I wouldn't know) been rejected by any of my chosen university, I just want to know if it is possible to make a switch.

Thank you all in advance for your kindness,

Maria

Hi everyone!

Welcome to Newcastle University’s official Ask A Current Student thread here on The Student Room.

Our Rep team includes Christina, who is currently taking a degree in Marketing with our Business School. She'll be monitoring this thread on Mondays and Wednesdays, 9-5, to answer your questions about what it's like to study at Newcastle University.

We also have a team of Student Bloggers writing about topics like UCAS applications, student accommodation, clubs and societies, and all aspects of student life at Newcastle University!

For any questions you may not wish to post publicly, feel free to drop the team a private message.

We look forward to hearing from you.

Newcastle University Student Room Team: Christina, Persephone, Matt and Anna
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by Mariajbl)
    Good afternoon! I'm a student from Italy and I'm planning to go to a british university in Semptember. I've done all the UCAS procedure, resulting in having the University of Reading as my firm choice and the University of Birmingham as my insurance. I already have my exam results, which is 71, less than both Reading and Birmingham were asking for, but that doesn't represent the main issue for me: the actual problem is that I've given it a lot of thought and I'm not satisfied at all with my decision, and considering I'm going to be carrying a considerable debt on my shoulders, it would't be wise going to a uni that I'm not entirely keen on. So, I've been doing some research and I've found out that the University of Newcastle offers my chosen course, which is Classical studies and English, in Clearing and everything (modules, course description, Newcastle itself) appears lovely. Therefore, I tried to call Newcastle's Clearing Hotline but a registered voicemail said that clearing was now off. Is it because there are no places left or because we have to wait for the 18th of August to call?
    Also, even if it was the second option, mine doesn't represent the traditional situation: I haven't (yet, I wouldn't know) been rejected by any of my chosen university, I just want to know if it is possible to make a switch.

Thank you all in advance for your kindness,

Maria
    Hi Maria,

It's good to hear you are considering Newcastle Let's see if I can help you!

Firstly, the Clearing hotline will open at 7.30am on the 18th of August, so it doesn't mean there are no places left.

The best thing to do would be to contact the admissions assistant with a scan of your results so she can check if they would be accepted. The entry requirements to Classical Studies and English for Italian students would be Diploma di esame di Stato: Minimum of 90% overall in relevant branch (Classics) plus 90% in English plus IELTS overall 6.5 with 5.5 in each element.Please send the document copies to [email protected]

All the best,
    Persephone

ReputationRep:
    Thanks a lot!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks a lot for your prompt reply, Persephone! I will definitely try to do as you say.

Hi Maria,

It's good to hear you are considering Newcastle Let's see if I can help you!

Firstly, the Clearing hotline will open at 7.30am on the 18th of August, so it doesn't mean there are no places left.

The best thing to do would be to contact the admissions assistant with a scan of your results so she can check if they would be accepted. The entry requirements to Classical Studies and English for Italian students would be Diploma di esame di Stato: Minimum of 90% overall in relevant branch (Classics) plus 90% in English plus IELTS overall 6.5 with 5.5 in each element.Please send the document copies to [email protected]

All the best,
    Persephone

ReputationRep:
    Hello,
    I wanted to ask about free time for Biochemistry students. Because I'm thinking to join about two three societies and whether that would be a good idea given the amount of contact hours you get in the degree and all the self studying that you have to do.
    Thanks,
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by Desi.Biochemist96)
    Hello,
    I wanted to ask about free time for Biochemistry students. Because I'm thinking to join about two three societies and whether that would be a good idea given the amount of contact hours you get in the degree and all the self studying that you have to do.
    Thanks,
    Hi

Here's the sample timetable from biochemistry so you can see what contact hours you might have. Its always good to join societies and get involved with people outside your course http://www.nusu.co.uk/getinvolved/societies/

I met a lot of my friends through joining societies

Isabella
    Attached Files
  1. File Type: xlsx Copy of Sample week timetable.xlsx (11.1 KB, 66 views)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Desi.Biochemist96)
    Hello,
    Thanks,
    You will definitely have enough time, no matter which course you do! I know people who have very intense courses (such as Medics and Biochem students) who are still very heavily involved in clubs and societies. It's very easy to make time for them, especially as most of them meet in the evenings, weekends and on Wednesday afternoons (when there are no lectures on anyway)

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: April 19, 2018
Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.