Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

I am split between Judaism and Christianity watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    The question you should ask yourself is whether you are on a quest for the truth or are experiencing a desire to find an ideology that comforts you. If you want the truth, then you'll find what you're looking for one day - so long as you pray to god for guidance and sincerely study religious theories and their sources.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by interact)
    yeah, you said this to me before but its still wrong
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/religion/religi...nversion.shtml

A simple and source article on conversion to Judaism. I'm going to take this (along with multiple other reputable sources) over you, who talks nonsense.

You should go to your local UCKG help centre.

(Original post by Anonymous1502)
    For a while I feel like something is missing I feel like I can't speak to God anymore I feel so lost.For a while, Judaism has been fascinating me I kind of want to convert however maybe I just want a new beginning I feel like I can no longer speak sincerely to God.I do not know what to do I was raised Catholic, but I don't want to be Catholic because many are homophobic and sexist (not all but some) also the news keeps making the catholic church look bad.I am against smoking and alcohol, but I don't want to be Muslim because it is not a religion that interests me.Am I coming to an age where I have lost my identity and maybe religion will help me find myself again?Should I just look for a different type of Christianity or do what? I don't know whether I believe or not I believe in Jesus, I never thought about it.I guess being raised Catholic I just accepted it and did not think about it.
    Maybe you should find a rabbi to talk to?

If you're seeking, don't commit yet. Look into synagogues, look into churches (the Church of England is very similar to the Roman Catholic church, but they're a lot more open-minded on the whole). If you feel like you should become Jewish, be prepared for a rough ride - they make it hard for new converts, symbilic of how hard life could be for you once you're one of them.

Or maybe you should just stop, stand back, and try to talk to God. Give it a while, relax, and go where you're led.

Ask God to strengthen you and help you be the person that he wants you to be.

I believe that Jesus died for my sin and that without Christ I will be in crisis.

Praying to God and thanking him helped me revive my faith.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tootles)
    Maybe you should find a rabbi to talk to?

If you're seeking, don't commit yet. Look into synagogues, look into churches (the Church of England is very similar to the Roman Catholic church, but they're a lot more open-minded on the whole). If you feel like you should become Jewish, be prepared for a rough ride - they make it hard for new converts, symbilic of how hard life could be for you once you're one of them.

Or maybe you should just stop, stand back, and try to talk to God. Give it a while, relax, and go where you're led.
    Thank you how does Church of England and Methodism compare? Which is more open?As well as how does reform Judaism and Methodism compare in terms of being open I support Homosexuals and transsexuals I don't want to be part of a religion where people are judged because of their sexuality for example, this is very important and not judged on what they want in life for example if they choose a career or parenthood or where women or men should be in a certain way for example a women's place is int he kitchen at home with children.

Thank you how does Church of England and Methodism compare? Which is more open?As well as how does reform Judaism and Methodism compare in terms of being open I support Homosexuals and transsexuals I don't want to be part of a religion where people are judged because of their sexuality for example, this is very important and not judged on what they want in life for example if they choose a career or parenthood or where women or men should be in a certain way for example a women's place is int he kitchen at home with children.
    Methodism is descended from Anglicanism. AFAIK the main difference is the church heirarchy, though I don't know - I ended up at an Anglican church and it was what I was looking for, so I stopped looking.

It seems that you're already into the idea of Methodism, anyway. I don't know much about Reform Judaism to be honest, I'm just going off the friends I've had who are Jewish.

Thank you for giving me a realisation, I try to follow the 10 commandments I thought about them they are quite good.

You shall not murder. You shall not commit adultery. You shall not steal. You shall not bear false witness against your neighbour. You shall not covet.These ones I agree with 100%, however, Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy is not a commandment easy to follow or realistic to follow in the real world.I am a pacifist if you want to join a religion I would join one that does not force anyone to convert.I guess Judaism is hard to convert to because they want people to be sure they want to do it, and if it was easy then people would be Jewish without being knowledgeable about their religion.However I will need to look for criticisms and to seek the truth about each religion so I won't be oblivious about its past.
    You still seem to be looking for a religion based on how much you would like it to be true rather than because you think it is true. I've made the same point like a hundred times now. :facepalm: Do you really believe that these commandments are from some god or not? That's the important bit -- it's not a shopping exercise in 'ooh, I don't like this so I won't believe it' like you seem to think it is.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by admonit)
    The commandment "You shall not murder" is related to unlawful killing. Soldiers have the right to kill and criminals may be executed according to a court decision. "nomadic desert tribes-people" knew the difference.
    So when God gives a commandment carved in stone meaning "Thou shalt not kill" and sends His only son with messages like "turn the other cheek", what He actually meant was "unless you local governing body overrules me, of course". I didn't know that. So any God-given commandment can be negated by the local passing of laws. Neat.

Rather makes God as the supreme godhead, the Holy Bible and all that stuff kind of redundant, doesn't it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blackstarr)
    You should go to your local UCKG help centre.
    The Universal Church of the Kingdom of God? :eek:

Wikipedia: "The Church has frequently been accused of illegal activities and corruption, including money laundering, charlatanism, and witchcraft."

Formed in 1977 by a bloke and his brother-in-law. A bad sign.
    The founder is worth $1.1billion. Nothing dodgy there, obviously. :rolleyes:
    They believe in faith healing.
    They claim Jesus' suffering was insufficient and members must make up for them with their own finances to the tune of 10% of all gross income. (How gullible are people?)
    They use migrants to collect money, pass themselves of as others and target students.
    Anyone remember the horrid death of 8 year old Victoria Climbié? The parents (who tortured her to death) claimed she was possessed of evil spirits; the UCKG claim they can sort this out and the pastor they visited said he believed them and did nothing about her obvious injuries.

(Original post by Simes)
    The Universal Church of the Kingdom of God? :eek:

Wikipedia: "The Church has frequently been accused of illegal activities and corruption, including money laundering, charlatanism, and witchcraft."

Formed in 1977 by a bloke and his brother-in-law. A bad sign.
    The founder is worth $1.1billion. Nothing dodgy there, obviously. :rolleyes:
    They believe in faith healing.
    They claim Jesus' suffering was insufficient and members must make up for them with their own finances to the tune of 10% of all gross income. (How gullible are people?)
    They use migrants to collect money, pass themselves of as others and target students.
    Anyone remember the horrid death of 8 year old Victoria Climbié? The parents (who tortured her to death) claimed she was possessed of evil spirits; the UCKG claim they can sort this out and the pastor they visited said he believed them and did nothing about her obvious injuries.
    You can't trust what the internet or people say unless you have been there yourself.

My branch is awesome and whist some people doubt and think it might be cultic I disagree.

They are raising money to help build more UCKG help centres but they could use some of that money to help the poor as well.

Being Jew is amazing. Except they take you foreskin away. Anyone see my foreskin lemme know, I want it back. Is it still legal to take babies foreskin away?
    Also, there's this new religion called Piphianism, really cool. It has nothing to do with me.

ReputationRep:
    Solution: follow neither.

ReputationRep:
    You can't trust what the internet or people say unless you have been there yourself.
    Oh dear. I thought you were having a laugh when you mentioned them. Oh well, here we go then. Now don't forget, you brought them up, not me.

Right. So they've convinced you the entire world is wrong and they are right and that anyone who wants to criticise them has to visit. There's a huge warning sign there - that is the same strap line every cult uses. "Only we know the truth. All the rest are liars and hate us because of it." Does that really sound likely? As for what people say, my quick check turned up journalists, lawyers, cult researchers and government agencies warning people against the organisation. For example:

Daily Telegraph article about UCKG selling fake health cures.

From Philosopher Stephen Law, Provost of Centre for Inquiry UK, Senior Lecturer in Philosophy at University of London and editor of the Royal Institute of Philosophy journal THINK writing in scathing terms about UCKG. You cannot say he is not open-minded.

Guyana Chronicle. Appalled at UCKG's behaviour.

LA Record: Pope warns Brazilians against the exorcism and faith healing practising UCKG.

A Religious News Blog summary of a Federal News Radio story about fraud by UCKG's leaders robbing their followers.

Visit by the Mystery Worshipper who visits and investigates churches. Describes it as a money-making exercise.

The Times writing about how much they've raised from followers, claimed in tax relief, and not spent on good works. This blog tells you what is behind the paywall.

LA Record: UCKG leader has stolen $2billion from followers.

The Guardian tells about the leader's fraudulent activity and his private jet.

The Belgian Parliament Inquiry Committee on Cults[59] described the UCKG as a dangerous cult.

The Centre for Studies of New Religions called it said it is "primarily classified as a healing cult".

Investigation by an active Christian who was invited to visit UCKG in South Africa.

Here is the page on the UCKG web site talking about their magical olive oil.

More links of concern about UCKG from a cult investigator.

There's loads more.

My branch is awesome and whist some people doubt and think it might be cultic I disagree.
    I'm sorry, but you are in a minority.

They are raising money to help build more UCKG help centres but they could use some of that money to help the poor as well.
    Find out how much money they raise in the UK and how much is used on projects for poor people. Ask for proof. You may be very disappointed to find most of the money is lining the pockets of the leaders.

(Original post by Simes)
    Oh dear. I thought you were having a laugh when you mentioned them. Oh well, here we go then. Now don't forget, you brought them up, not me.

Right. So they've convinced you the entire world is wrong and they are right and that anyone who wants to criticise them has to visit. There's a huge warning sign there - that is the same strap line every cult uses. "Only we know the truth. All the rest are liars and hate us because of it." Does that really sound likely? As for what people say, my quick check turned up journalists, lawyers, cult researchers and government agencies warning people against the organisation. For example:

Daily Telegraph article about UCKG selling fake health cures.

From Philosopher Stephen Law, Provost of Centre for Inquiry UK, Senior Lecturer in Philosophy at University of London and editor of the Royal Institute of Philosophy journal THINK writing in scathing terms about UCKG. You cannot say he is not open-minded.

Guyana Chronicle. Appalled at UCKG's behaviour.

LA Record: Pope warns Brazilians against the exorcism and faith healing practising UCKG.

A Religious News Blog summary of a Federal News Radio story about fraud by UCKG's leaders robbing their followers.

Visit by the Mystery Worshipper who visits and investigates churches. Describes it as a money-making exercise.

The Times writing about how much they've raised from followers, claimed in tax relief, and not spent on good works. This blog tells you what is behind the paywall.

LA Record: UCKG leader has stolen $2billion from followers.

The Guardian tells about the leader's fraudulent activity and his private jet.

The Belgian Parliament Inquiry Committee on Cults[59] described the UCKG as a dangerous cult.

The Centre for Studies of New Religions called it said it is "primarily classified as a healing cult".

Investigation by an active Christian who was invited to visit UCKG in South Africa.

Here is the page on the UCKG web site talking about their magical olive oil.

More links of concern about UCKG from a cult investigator.

There's loads more.

I'm sorry, but you are in a minority.

Find out how much money they raise in the UK and how much is used on projects for poor people. Ask for proof. You may be very disappointed to find most of the money is lining the pockets of the leaders.

I guess some of the stuff written in those articles could be true but I don't think it affects me, I know that they may not be spending the money the get from people in the right way but its not like I am given them my money.

Also, I was just talking in general(outside the money bit) and stating my opinion.

Anyway, I have not been there for very long.

ReputationRep:
    I guess some of the stuff written in those articles could be true but I don't think it affects me, I know that they may not be spending the money the get from people in the right way but its not like I am given them my money.

Also, I was just talking in general(outside the money bit) and stating my opinion.

Anyway, I have not been there for very long.
    Well, you've promoted it to other people about five times since July. Perhaps you might want to reconsider whether you know enough about this organisation to be recommending it to others.

You might be risking getting a bad reputation for promoting a cult that is run by criminals, robbing its members, laundering money, selling fake medicine and claiming magical curing abilities.

You see, the credibility of the professional journalists, government bodies, cult investigators, professional religious people and criminal investigators is going to be taken to be far greater than yours.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Simes)
    So when God gives a commandment carved in stone meaning "Thou shalt not kill"
    It's not the meaning but the commandment itself. The meaning I've already explained you. Now I repeat it:
    "The imperative is against unlawful killing resulting in bloodguilt.[2] The Hebrew Bible contains numerous prohibitions against unlawful killing, but also allows for justified killing in the context of warfare, capital punishment, and self-defense."
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thou_shalt_not_kill

(Original post by EricPiphany)
    Is it still legal to take babies foreskin away?
    Unfortunately, yes.

ReputationRep:
    For a while I feel like something is missing I feel like I can't speak to God anymore I feel so lost. (Do you know why your lost? because the devil uses our brain and controls us to act indifferently when were weak in the faith, it's happening to me currently and we have to fight it)
    For a while, Judaism has been fascinating me I kind of want to convert however maybe I just want a new beginning I feel like I can no longer speak sincerely to God. I do not know what to do I was raised Catholic, but I don't want to be Catholic because many are homophobic and sexist (not all but some) (Erm... It is a sin, you do know this but please don't not assume its homophobic, every christian MUST love one another) also the news keeps making the catholic church look bad.

I am against smoking and alcohol, but I don't want to be Muslim because it is not a religion that interests me. Am I coming to an age where I have lost my identity and maybe religion will help me find myself again? Should I just look for a different type of Christianity or do what? (Maybe try Pentecostalism but all denomination are linked to christianity, just taught in a different way) I don't know whether I believe or not I believe in Jesus, I never thought about it.I guess being raised Catholic I just accepted it and did not think about it.
    Answered your issues, it may be blunt but anywho God bless you. AMEN!

ReputationRep:
    I think we've gone a bit off-topic here. But still...

(Original post by admonit)
    It's not the meaning but the commandment itself. The meaning I've already explained you. Now I repeat it:
    "The imperative is against unlawful killing resulting in bloodguilt.[2] The Hebrew Bible contains numerous prohibitions against unlawful killing, but also allows for justified killing in the context of warfare, capital punishment, and self-defense."
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thou_shalt_not_kill
    That's made matters worse. So the 6th commandment is "Do not do illegal killing".

(a) that is a pointless commandment. Illegal killings are illegal anyway.

(b) the implication is God isn't very bothered about other illegal things if it is only illegal killings that are forbidden.

So the Supreme Godhead's directives are that illegal things are OK by Him unless they involve illegal killing and that He agrees that illegal killing is wrong, regardless of what reason the law says the killing is wrong. That also suggests God would be quite happy about the Holocaust so long as it was legal under German law at the time.

Sounds like a load of old cobblers to me.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 8, 2015
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.