Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Which body do you like the most and WHY? watch

ReputationRep:
    15%, wouldn't mind 20%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NathanDYEL)
    You don't have to worry about getting to that size aha, even smashing the gym 6/7 days a week wont achieve that.
    What about you man? What are your goals? If it's body building and building the best physique then who would be your role model? I think mine is most probably Frank Medrano he's so strong and looks so healthy..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ahmed766)
    What about you man? What are your goals? If it's body building and building the best physique then who would be your role model? I think mine is most probably Frank Medrano he's so strong and looks so healthy..
    Yeahh bodybuilding for me competing next year in men's physique so just training for that at the moment. Frank Zane would have to be my favourite physique.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NathanDYEL)
    Yeahh bodybuilding for me competing next year in men's physique so just training for that at the moment. Frank Zane would have to be my favourite physique.
    He is among my favourites, I have to say though the closest one to him in terms of physique at the moment is Sadik Hadzovic

ReputationRep:
    10-12% but 7-9% is my goal

ReputationRep:
    Everyone probably already knows that :mmm:

ReputationRep:
    gay girl therefore my opinion is probs invalid, but I'd go for 25%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ahmed766)
    I want to get stronger and leaner but not oversized, I hope to one day to the planche push up, my pushup count is ok but I want to do a variety like the pyramid push up
    i'm actually working on a planche. A proper planche, not one of those easy elbow planches. It's super hard! I can feel my shoulders engaging but i'm not strong enough to get the legs horizontal with straight arms yet! How are your planches coming along?

P.S: that's my body goal too, that's why I don't do weights. Weights make you bulky. Body weight exercises and calisthenics makes you lean and strong.

ReputationRep:
    rock_climber86

Weights make you bulky lol? In what way

What do your legs look like tho

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JD1lla)
    rock_climber86

Weights make you bulky lol? In what way

What do your legs look like tho
    I assumed if you did weights you tear muscle fibres more and therefore when they grow back they grow back with a lot of scar tissue and that is what gives you the shapely biceps etc. I've got super lean stringy muscle built gradually over many years. Lean muscle is harder to build up and takes a longer timescale than bulky muscle which any idiot can build in a few months drinking protein shakes and doing bicep curls with some weights.

As for my legs, they are functional! I can stand up from a squat on one leg, so they are strong enough for my rock climbing and slack lining .

ReputationRep:
    10-12%, the top left one scares me and all the others are just... no. (well, 15% is okay. but meh.) Like, tell me this isn't hot:

Spoiler:
    Show

Are you ready for this?
    Spoiler:
    Show
    I regret nothing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rock_climber86)
    I assumed if you did weights you tear muscle fibres more and therefore when they grow back they grow back with a lot of scar tissue and that is what gives you the shapely biceps etc. I've got super lean stringy muscle built gradually over many years. Lean muscle is harder to build up and takes a longer timescale than bulky muscle which any idiot can build in a few months drinking protein shakes and doing bicep curls with some weights.

As for my legs, they are functional! I can stand up from a squat on one leg, so they are strong enough for my rock climbing and slack lining .
    Lifting weights, calisthenics and any exercise that forces you to use muscles above their normal threshold causes micro -tears in the fibres. These repair from the amino acids in your body (protein). Basically, this is known as hypertrophy. Two types: sarcoplasmic and myofribullar. The ratio of sarcoplasmic to myofribullar hypotrophy that occurs determines how your muscles ultimately look when training, sorta. You can't isolate the type of hypertrophy that occurs, but this is where the notion of where 'weightlifting makes you bulky' comes from.

It is false in the context of this convo. What makes you bulky is...bulking. you can get bulky by eating in a caloric surplus and progessively harder bodyweight movements. Lifting weights is more beneficial than bodyweight exercises.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JD1lla)
    Lifting weights, calisthenics and any exercise that forces you to use muscles above their normal threshold causes micro -tears in the fibres. These repair from the amino acids in your body (protein). Basically, this is known as hypertrophy. Two types: sarcoplasmic and myofribullar. The ratio of sarcoplasmic to myofribullar hypotrophy that occurs determines how your muscles ultimately look when training, sorta. You can't isolate the type of hypertrophy that occurs, but this is where the notion of where 'weightlifting makes you bulky' comes from.

It is false. What makes you bulky is...bulking. you can get bulky by eating in a caloric surplus and progessively harder bodyweight movements. Lifting weights is more beneficial than bodyweight exercises.
    You've obviously done your homework so I won't dispute the above! :eek: What do I have if I am super lean? I'm 53.7kg and I have strong but super lean muscle. I'm just over 8% bf. I can do a lot of pullups, a few muscle ups, finger pullups, pressups, front lever, basically lots of bodyweight stuff. I'm also dynamic too, so my muscles are very springy and react quickly i've been told.

ReputationRep:
    You've obviously done your homework so I won't dispute the above! :eek: What do I have if I am super lean? I'm 53.7kg and I have strong but super lean muscle. I'm just over 8% bf. I can do a lot of pullups, a few muscle ups, finger pullups, pressups, front lever, basically lots of bodyweight stuff. I'm also dynamic too, so my muscles are very springy and react quickly i've been told.
    We had this discussion the other day. I'm real high right now so what I typed earlier may not be entirely correct, it's a really, really dumbed down version of the muscle building process.

You are indeed very lean, at an extremely low level of bodyfat. You are underweight. You are a climber, hence the pullups/grip strength. I'm not sure what you mean by 'dynamic'. I think you mean the term is 'explosive'. That's the usual buzzword. This is usually to do with the muscle fibre types. To again dumb it down, you have fast twitch and slow twitch muscle fibre types. (There are more but cba to explain). Sprinters and explosive movement-y sort of athletes have genetically a higher amount of fast twitch muscle fibres (we all have both). Endurance athletes usually slow twitch muscle fibres. I really cba to explain the relevance of this, but look it up if you're interested. Remember, you are light. It's not hard to be bouncy and springy when you weigh 55kg.

Since you are a climber, your specific strength will work well for you. Gaining weight i.e. gaining more muscle won't particularly help you for climbing.

If you were to start weight lifting properly, and eating in a surplus, and if you gained about 20kg of muscle over lets say 2 - 3 years, you'd look 1000x better. You'd have far more overall strength.

To me, overall (general) strength is:

Your ability to deadlift. Your ability to bench. Your ability to perform weighted pullups. Your ability to squat to proper depth and your ability to overhead press. Being good at one of those things is not enough to consider yourself strong.

These lifts, no matter what your goals or your sport, should be at least part of your training program.

Whilst I can squat and deadlift much more than I look like I can lift, I can't bench or do pullups to save my life. I am working on all aspects. I am also working on pushups and situps, just to get good at them.

From an athletic point of view, you should aspire to be able to do all of those things. Frank Medrano (vegan calisthenic advocate) did not get that physique from bodyweight exercises alone. He also lifts.

Weightlifting is essential for men and women imo. There is no bodyweight exercise that feels as devastating as a heavy deadlift or squat. And you just won't be as strong without some variant of that exercise.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't mind the 10-12% right up to 25%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RiotGirll)
    How on earth is preferring the first guy with the lowest bfp % chubby chasing? :lolwut:
    Misread lol. Wasn't having a go! More directed at other person saying it was healthy/natural...

Being that lean probably isn't natural/healthy especially year round... they're at danger of damaging organs if they stay there for long, or happen to be without food for a few days.

But glad we've found a girl who likes the shredded bodybuilder look because most seem to be grossed out!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ZolaCFC25)
    Misread lol. Wasn't having a go! More directed at other person saying it was healthy/natural...

Being that lean probably isn't natural/healthy especially year round... they're at danger of damaging organs if they stay there for long, or happen to be without food for a few days.

But glad we've found a girl who likes the shredded bodybuilder look because most seem to be grossed out!
    Np

Yeah, don't they have to only go on a liquid diet for competitions?

Most people (guys and girls) seem to be grossed out by athletic figures in this country TBH

ReputationRep:
    Np

Most people (guys and girls) seem to be grossed out by athletic figures in this country TBH
    Out of interest, can you pin point what you like about/why?

ReputationRep:
    i'm actually working on a planche. A proper planche, not one of those easy elbow planches. It's super hard! I can feel my shoulders engaging but i'm not strong enough to get the legs horizontal with straight arms yet! How are your planches coming along?

P.S: that's my body goal too, that's why I don't do weights. Weights make you bulky. Body weight exercises and calisthenics makes you lean and strong.
    But one thing I always wanted to do as well was lift heavier weights without making my muscles look much bigger.. I don't mind a higher muscle density though

ReputationRep:
    Np

Nope. Infact less liquid the better.

Thats because most people are fat and lazy.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.