Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

greatest british person ever watch

Announcements
  • View Poll Results: who was the greatest Britain ever?
    Results hidden until poll closes.

ReputationRep:
    David Attenborough needs a massive shout out

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HistoryStudent1)
    First, your spending levels information doesn't include the Thatcher years, just post 1986+ so I'm not sure what you were hoping to prove with that. Your unemployment pdf doesn't really prove your point, the unemployment was higher during Thatcher's time in power, but then begins to drop due to the stabilisation of the economy. I think it's very interesting that you've - to help your argument - left out inflation figures, by putting an end to the post war consensus and by putting an end to ever-increasing wages, Thatcher stabilised inflation. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...fN0ZoWmc#gid=0 This shows how inflation had been at levels up to 17-18% in the years before Thatcher, hence why her measures were needed, and why today we have levels of around 2-3%. As I said in the original argument, Thatcher isn't the greatest politician if you were living in her time in power, but without her our economy would be in a much worse shape - hence why she is the greatest Briton in terms of what she did for the future.
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...fN0ZoWmc#gid=0 This shows
    Can I just point out you ignored his real wage point, he is right about spending (go online and you can see he is right), you attempt to refute unemployment figures but unsuccessfully and the only thing you respond with is her work on inflation - a brilliant achievement, but doesn't counter what he said (which is what I presume you aimed to do).

There are better ways to refute his arguments.

ReputationRep:
    Neither Isaac Newton nor Bertrand Russell were there...but David Beckham was?!

ReputationRep:
    jeremy kyle !!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by United1892)
    Clement Atlee. Hows he not on the poll?

Also the love for Churchill in this thread is a little over the top, not good for anything but being a figurehead and bad for many things
    So basically, you can't accept a Tory being the Greatest Britain of all time.....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by billydisco)
    So basically, you can't accept a Tory being the Greatest Britain of all time.....
    Well no I could, but a tory who ****ed our economy and did little to run the country while Prime Minister is a bit of a stretch. Not to mention Gallipoli.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HistoryStudent1)
    First, your spending levels information doesn't include the Thatcher years, just post 1986+ so I'm not sure what you were hoping to prove with that. Your unemployment pdf doesn't really prove your point, the unemployment was higher during Thatcher's time in power, but then begins to drop due to the stabilisation of the economy. I think it's very interesting that you've - to help your argument - left out inflation figures, by putting an end to the post war consensus and by putting an end to ever-increasing wages, Thatcher stabilised inflation. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...fN0ZoWmc#gid=0 This shows how inflation had been at levels up to 17-18% in the years before Thatcher, hence why her measures were needed, and why today we have levels of around 2-3%. As I said in the original argument, Thatcher isn't the greatest politician if you were living in her time in power, but without her our economy would be in a much worse shape - hence why she is the greatest Briton in terms of what she did for the future.
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...fN0ZoWmc#gid=0 This shows
    OK sorry for the delay.

My points about real wages and GDP growth still stand however lets get to the inflation argument. Firstly Thatcher was still in power in 1986 to 1990 so yes that data is relevant. Secondly yes there was stagflation during the 1970s however your idea that Thatchers policies were the sole reason for this dropping is naive at best. Monetarism which Thatcher adopted is good for tackling inflation when caused by Government Spending and I accept it had an effect but there was one major factor which was why inflation was high in the 1970s, oil prices, as you can see they spike drastically in the 1970s after the Yom Kippur War and the subsequent oil crisis. In the 1980s they drop substantially which in turn will reduce inflation, massively aiding Thatcher.

Now I will acknowledge Thatcher's policies helped reduce inflation but not single-handedly but I will ask you, is reducing inflation important enough to have 3 million people unemployed?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Murphy12)
    I must admit I have never seen this footnote. Could you type it out or send a picture? It seems to go against the general argument of the book - a war hero, but neither a saviour nor a great man outside his defence of Britain.
    Do you know how he puts a little vignette into most of the biographical notes? For example F E Smith "the cleverest man in the Kingdom"? That was what he added to Churchill's.

If you haven't got the book to hand, google "saviour of country churchill english history taylor"

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.