Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Paige_kayleigh)
    Made Bournemouth my firm to study Business Studies 😊😊 buuut how likely are me and my friends to get the same accommodation ?
    I'll be studying business to, for the accommodation as long as you and your friends all book the accommodation at the same time then there shouldn't be a problem, accommodations do fill up fast tho

ReputationRep:
    DONT GO TO BOURNEMOUTH FOR ANYTHING OTHER THAN BUSINESS OR MEDIA
    im a 1st year and applying to move somewhere else in september because every aspect of bournemouth is utter **** message me if you want details but do not go to bournemouth never have i had such a bad education or payed for such **** services

ReputationRep:
    You've made a new account just to post that? What happened!?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Paddythed)
    You've made a new account just to post that? What happened!?
    for the facilities, student support and services that other universities offer for the same annual fee, bournemouth in awful and i'm honestly infuriated that im paying so much to be here.

in terms of student facilities, the library closes at 6 (theyre doing a trial run to close at midnight as i complained so much) - however i still think this is very early, considering its pretty standard for universities to provide 24 hour library facilities.

the university markets itself as this cool fun not by the books university (i fell for it when i came on the open day) but its all incredibly structured to the point that any crucial changes are nearly impossible. For example when the debate was happening in parliament to change the maintenance grant to a maintenance loan, I requested the debate to be live streamed in the student union (universities across the country were doing this) but i was told this person had to talk to this person that had to okay it with this person and they eventually told me they couldn't do it. like come on, the government live streams it to their website and they cant put the debate on a screen in the student union? this is just one small instance of many.

in a nutshell the university is very, VERY commercial - something it markets itselfnot to be. In the freshers fair there were next to zero societies, just people the university paid to get in like the RAF and pot noodle - societies have very little role in the university, there are practically none which i think reflects how much everything is run by the university - not the students.

when applying to move next this september i had zero help from my course director - i was sent back and forth between people and 3 days before the ucas deadine they told me they wouldn't provide me with a reference and almost jeopardized my opportunity to study somewhere else.

the town is awful - the night life is awful - bournemouth is where people go to die do not go there

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shiaharris)
    for the facilities, student support and services that other universities offer for the same annual fee, bournemouth in awful and i'm honestly infuriated that im paying so much to be here.

in terms of student facilities, the library closes at 6 (theyre doing a trial run to close at midnight as i complained so much) - however i still think this is very early, considering its pretty standard for universities to provide 24 hour library facilities.

the university markets itself as this cool fun not by the books university (i fell for it when i came on the open day) but its all incredibly structured to the point that any crucial changes are nearly impossible. For example when the debate was happening in parliament to change the maintenance grant to a maintenance loan, I requested the debate to be live streamed in the student union (universities across the country were doing this) but i was told this person had to talk to this person that had to okay it with this person and they eventually told me they couldn't do it. like come on, the government live streams it to their website and they cant put the debate on a screen in the student union? this is just one small instance of many.

in a nutshell the university is very, VERY commercial - something it markets itselfnot to be. In the freshers fair there were next to zero societies, just people the university paid to get in like the RAF and pot noodle - societies have very little role in the university, there are practically none which i think reflects how much everything is run by the university - not the students.

when applying to move next this september i had zero help from my course director - i was sent back and forth between people and 3 days before the ucas deadine they told me they wouldn't provide me with a reference and almost jeopardized my opportunity to study somewhere else.

the town is awful - the night life is awful - bournemouth is where people go to die do not go there
    if it gives any perspective, i have a friend studying business and her whole coursework is essentially free marketing for the university, she has to post about bournemouth and how "great" it is on all social media - rather than allowing her to explore her own business endeavors for her coursework

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shiaharris)
    if it gives any perspective, i have a friend studying business and her whole coursework is essentially free marketing for the university, she has to post about bournemouth and how "great" it is on all social media - rather than allowing her to explore her own business endeavors for her coursework

Posted from TSR Mobile

I was so impressed at the applicant open day I really don't want to believe what you are saying!! I was told the library closes at ten and they might put it up to twelve. I saw a new building made apparently in one year as soon as there were space issues. People seemed pretty happy?

ReputationRep:
    Posted from TSR Mobile

I was so impressed at the applicant open day I really don't want to believe what you are saying!! I was told the library closes at ten and they might put it up to twelve. I saw a new building made apparently in one year as soon as there were space issues. People seemed pretty happy?
    people are happy but personally i dont think theyre as woke as me - having friends at universities that are very student run like sussex and brighton, i realise how structured and university-run bournemouth is. if you're not interested in student activism and underground events/societies then bournemouth isn't THAT bad - but bournemouth advertised itself as just that , and misled me very much. the fundemental reason why i chose bournemouth was a lie to my face, and now im 1 year and 10k more in debt at the wrong university

ReputationRep:
    Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi Paddythed,

I'm Chris and I am a student ambassador for Bournemouth University. Just to be clear The Sir Michael Cobham Library (which is based on the Talbot Campus) is open from 8am until midnight on Monday's to Thursday's. On Friday's the library is open from 8am until 10pm (although some parts of the library stay open until midnight). On Saturday and Sunday the library opens at 10am and closes at 6pm. Please have a look here for more information about the library opening times (including the Bournemouth House opening times). Of course there is also the Open Access centre on the Talbot Campus which is open 24/7.

You are right that the brand new Fusion building will solve the space issues and it is expected to open in September 2016. It's a great time to be at the university as it keeps growing and becoming more popular. I also work for SUBU and I've got to say I do disagree with the previous poster the Student Union has over 100 societies, a great volunteering network, multiple student support services and great venues for even better nights out! Everybody is entitled to their own opinions but it sounds like you really enjoyed the applicant day so please do not let one bad experience put you off!

Feel free to ask me any other questions you may have!

Thanks
    Chris

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Paige_kayleigh)
    Made Bournemouth my firm to study Business Studies 😊😊 buuut how likely are me and my friends to get the same accommodation ?
    Hey Paige_kayleigh,

There's a chance that you and your friends can live in the same flat , when you sign in to the online accommodation system, you and your friends will need to try and find a flat that has enough available rooms for you and book them roughly at the same time.

Similarly if you all apply at a similar time for the same halls of residence theres a chance you will be in the same building. When I applied for accommodation you have to rank all of the available accommodation by preference so if you all picked similarly and submitted at the same time theres a chance that you can be in the same halls.

It's really nice having friends from home at the same university but I would try to branch out a little. While I go to BU one of my best friends from home goes to AUB and because we weren't living together we made lots of good friends quickly and then became friends with their friends! Of course it is completely up to you though, I know people who have lived with their friends and they loved it!

Hope this has helped, let me know if you have any questions!

Thanks
    Chris

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vices)
    do you have to make an immediate payment of your accommodation deposit on results day then? and how much would that be? (it's the first i'm hearing of it)
    Posted from TSR Mobile
    Hi vices,

To secure BU accommodation you need to pay a deposit and a booking fee, find out more here! This will be during the second stage of the accommodation application process. For 2015/2016 for undergraduate accommodation you needed to pay a £250 deposit as wel as an £80 booking fee. However for Chesil House and Lyme Regis House you would also need to pay £300 in advance against the first terms payment.

If you are concerned please feel free to contact askBU;
    Email - [email protected]
    Phone - +44 (0)1202 961671

Hope this has helped - let me know if you had any other questions!

Chris

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CBowditch)
    Hi vices,

To secure BU accommodation you need to pay a deposit and a booking fee, find out more here! This will be during the second stage of the accommodation application process. For 2015/2016 for undergraduate accommodation you needed to pay a £250 deposit as wel as an £80 booking fee. However for Chesil House and Lyme Regis House you would also need to pay £300 in advance against the first terms payment.

If you are concerned please feel free to contact askBU;
    Email - [email protected]
    Phone - +44 (0)1202 961671

Hope this has helped - let me know if you had any other questions!

Chris
    thank you for that, so does that have to be done as soon as you go uncondiditional (aka on results day)? or can you pick your accommodation then pay later?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CBowditch)
    Hi Paddythed,

I'm Chris and I am a student ambassador for Bournemouth University. Just to be clear The Sir Michael Cobham Library (which is based on the Talbot Campus) is open from 8am until midnight on Monday's to Thursday's. On Friday's the library is open from 8am until 10pm (although some parts of the library stay open until midnight). On Saturday and Sunday the library opens at 10am and closes at 6pm. Please have a look here for more information about the library opening times (including the Bournemouth House opening times). Of course there is also the Open Access centre on the Talbot Campus which is open 24/7.

You are right that the brand new Fusion building will solve the space issues and it is expected to open in September 2016. It's a great time to be at the university as it keeps growing and becoming more popular. I also work for SUBU and I've got to say I do disagree with the previous poster the Student Union has over 100 societies, a great volunteering network, multiple student support services and great venues for even better nights out! Everybody is entitled to their own opinions but it sounds like you really enjoyed the applicant day so please do not let one bad experience put you off!

Feel free to ask me any other questions you may have!

Thanks
    Chris

Thanks. I'm going to assume it was just an isolated bad experience.

ReputationRep:
    Can anyone provide a summary of all the BU accommodation available? Just a list of it and one advantage one drawback etc. Would be extremely helpful.

Eg. Chesil house great facilities but poor public transport, located xx miles from xxxxx etc.. (just an example may not be true)

ReputationRep:
    Hiya, im currently a student at Bournemouth University i dont live in halls myself but i have friends who do. It seems the most popular one to live in is Dorchester House it is located by the Lansdowne Campus but is easily transportable to Talbot Campus via the University Bus. I have also heard it is expensive and one of my friends seems to live out of her overdraft all the time but she is also a big partier so maybe that has a part to play in it too. it depends what you want really i think the halls located in poole arent very nice and people tend to get a lot of problems there to do with facilities but transport from there is good via train or bus and it is a lot cheaper one of the major downsides i think is they only have single beds! so it all depends on how much you are willing to spend and how much money spare you want after rent etc. you get what you pay for basically.

hope i helped a little bit
    Eleanor

ReputationRep:
    Very helpful, thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Can anyone provide a summary of all the BU accommodation available? Just a list of it and one advantage one drawback etc. Would be extremely helpful.

Eg. Chesil house great facilities but poor public transport, located xx miles from xxxxx etc.. (just an example may not be true)
    Hi Paddy,

I'm currently staying in Dorchester House, being one of the most expensive accommodation that BU offers, I can say it is very modern, rooms are big, next to the train station (Not noisy though), Asda across the road, double beds and the first bus stop that the U1 stops at so a seat every time! The drawback of Dorchester is that it is quite expensive, £130 per week for a standard room so make sure that you have enough money to pay for the accommodation. It does get dusty very quickly, constantly have dust everyday, and you don't have cleaners

Purbeck
    Advantages
    - Cheap
    - Very social and quite a lot of parties daily
    - Cleaner comes in to clean communal area (does not do the washing up unfortunately).
    - Close to Landsdown and night life.
    - Co-op across the road

Disadvantages
    - Quite old and not very modern
    - Can be quite noisy due to the partying

Cranbourne
    Advantages
    - Refurbished so it's very modern
    - Cheap
    - Close to landsdown and night life
    - Parties but nothing crazy like Purbeck
    - Co-op just across the road.

Disadvantages
    - Small and single beds
    - Always a queue for the bus (U1) in the morning, so be prepared to for that or get the earlier bus.

Chesil House
    Advantages
    - Quiet as it's mainly students studying nursing or those who want a peaceful accommodation
    - Cheap
    - Co-op is underneath so easy shopping

Disadvantages
    - Quiet, not very social
    - Queue for the bus

Lyme Regis
    Advantages
    - Cheap
    - Close to the OFS student night club.
    - Close to landsdown shops
    - near the train station and asda
    - Second bus stop so can always get a seat

Disadvantages
    - Quite old and smelly
    - Rooms are not that big and single beds

Landsdown
    Advantages
    - Catered accommodation so don't have to cook.
    - Recently built so everything is new.
    Disadvantages
    - Too expensive for what you get
    - It's been a building site for about four months, most of the panels on the exterior has been taken off and the second entrance is cornered off for the building site.

Corfe House
    - Too far away for night life, friends, and the University itself (located in Poole).

In my opinion, I prefer Dorchester, slightly biased as I'm staying here! It's very balanced in the social and studying side which I like and for the reasons above ^. I dislike the fact that it is expensive, so I suggest look at all of your options before choosing. I'm lucky enough not to be in my overdraft like a few of my friends who are staying here as I worked during the summer just so I could live here.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you very much that is extremely thorough! Got a tough choice to make as there are plenty of pros and cons to weigh up

ReputationRep:
    As a side point, are you able to comment on the quality of the student matching system for accommodation at bu?

ReputationRep:

Hi Paddy

My name is Amy and I am a third year student (and ambassador) at BU.

The student village appears to have been missed out ( dunno203 gives an excellent run down of the others good and bad points!)

Where: on the Talbot Campus
    Prices: some of the cheapest accommodation

Advantages:
    close to the campus (literary right on it) - so easy access to all resources and the medical centre
    cheap! More money for other things!
    You don't have to get the bus to lectures (if you are based on the Talbot campus)
    quiet (to a degree)
    very rural sort of feel - so doesn't feel like you are in the middle of a city

Disadvantages:
    you have to get the bus/cab if you want to go out at night
    you are going to have a bit of a hike to the shops - aldi in Wallisdown is probably the closest big shop (a 10 min walk)
    you don't have en suite bathrooms

Personally I stayed here in my first year and really liked it (and am hoping to get into a post-grad flat on the village as well!) I am not a big person for going out clubbing, I much rather go to societies, so it suits me really well.

Picking accommodation depends a lot on what you want for university.

If you have any questions about the uni please do ask!

Amy

ReputationRep:
    General questions. My congratulations letter said that people who accept Bournemouth as their firm choice are guaranteed accommodation for their first year.. But where is the information regarding this? Also I've signed up for student loans through the government website but when do people generally apply? Just after exams?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Hi Paddy

Best advice is to apply asap as sometimes things go wrong with student finance and if you have applied late there is more chance of a gap happening where the money doesn't come through (rare but does happen).

If there is ever an issue with paying rent or getting food the university does offer emergency funds to help students (I am not sure how they work, I just wanted to reassure you that there are things in place!)

If you have any other questions feel free to ask! (I always check my messages so if you have an urgent question for me that is the best way to get in contact (although there are several ambassadors (and lots of friendly normal students) around so someone should be able to help!)

Amy (ambassador BU)

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
  • create my feed
  • edit my feed

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.