Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Polar Coordinates is probably the most difficult subject in FP2, anyone have any guides or strategies to learn it?

ReputationRep:
    Gonna go ahead and bump this because people seem to have forgotten about it

Revising this at the moment, doing differential equations, first order subs.

ReputationRep:
    Had an FP2 mock, messed up on one of the complex numbers transformation questions (question was worth 6 marks - should get at least 2). I hate transformations
    Apart from that I'm fairly confident I got the rest correct. Including the last question, which was a beautiful second order question

Here's the question if anyone wants to have a go.

Show that the substitution \displaystyle x=e^{z} transforms the differential equation

x^{2}\dfrac{d^{2}y}{dx^{2}} + 2x\dfrac{dy}{dx} - 2y = 3lnx\ \ \ \ \ \ - (I)
    into the equation

\dfrac{d^{2}y}{dz^{2}}+\dfrac{dy  }{dz}-2y = 3z\ \ \ \ \ \ - (II)

Hence find the general solution to the differential equation (II) and obtain the general solution of the differential equation (I). Giving your answer in the form y=f(x).
    (14 marks)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by edothero)
    Had an FP2 mock, messed up on one of the complex numbers transformation questions (question was worth 6 marks - should get at least 2). I hate transformations
    Apart from that I'm fairly confident I got the rest correct. Including the last question, which was a beautiful second order question

Show that the substitution \displaystyle x=e^{z} transforms the differential equation

into the equation

Hence find the general solution to the differential equation (II) and obtain the general solution of the differential equation (I). Giving your answer in the form y=f(x).
    (14 marks)
    This is a nice question, started a minute ago and I'm struggle

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kkboyk)
    This is a nice question, started a minute ago and I'm struggle
    Hint: \dfrac{dy}{dx} =\ ? \times ?

Using z

ReputationRep:
    Hint: \dfrac{dy}{dx} =\ ? \times ?

Using z
    I had to revisit 2nd ODE to know which form of particular integral my answer must have. But it took the piss.

ReputationRep:

into the equation

(14 marks)
    Might as well. We have: \frac{\mathrm{d}x}{\mathrm{d}z} = e^z so since e^z \frac{\mathrm{d}y}{\mathrm{d}x} = \frac{\mathrm{d}y}{\mathrm{d}z} , we then have, by taking second derivatives:

and \frac{d^2y}{\mathrm{d}x^2} = (e^{-z} y'' - y'e^{-z})\frac{\mathrm{d}z}{\mathrm{d}  x} = e^{-2z}(y'' - y' )

So our DE becomes:

\displaystyle y'' - y' + 2y' - 2y = 3z \iff y'' + y' - 2y = 3z as required.

Now this is easily solvable, the auxiliary quadratic is \alpha^2 + \alpha - 2 = 0 \Rightarrow \alpha = -2, 1

So complementary solution is Ae^{-2z} + Be^{z} and the particular solution -\frac{3}{2}, so:

\displaystyle y = Ae^{-2z} + Be^{z} - \frac{3z}{2} - \frac{3}{4}, then

\displaystyle y = \frac{A}{x^2} + Bx - \frac{3\ln x}{2} - \frac{3}{4}

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zacken)
    Yep very nice

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kkboyk)
    I had to revisit 2nd ODE to know which form of particular integral my answer must have. But it took the piss.
    What have you got up to? You might want to look at Zacken's solution. If you don't understand anything I can elaborate

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zacken)
    So complementary solution is Ae^{-2z} + Be^{z} and the particular solution -\frac{3}{2}, so:

\displaystyle y = Ae^{-2z} + Be^{z} - \frac{3}{2}, then

\displaystyle y = \frac{A}{x^2} + Bx - \frac{3}{2}
    Hang on, just realised, your particular solution is incorrect
    Spoiler:
    Show
    y = \mu z + \alpha

\dfrac{dy}{dz} = \mu

\dfrac{d^{2}y}{d^{2}z} = 0

\therefore \mu - 2\mu z - 2\alpha = 3z

Split this up

-2\mu = 3 \ \ \ \ \ \rightarrow \ \ \ \ \ \mu = -\dfrac{3}{2}

\mu - 2\alpha = 0 \ \ \ \ \  \rightarrow \ \ \ \ \ \alpha = -\dfrac{3}{4}

\therefore y = \dfrac{A}{x^{2}} + Bx - \dfrac{3}{2}lnx - \dfrac{3}{4}

ReputationRep:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    y = \mu z + \alpha

\dfrac{dy}{dz} = \mu

Split this up

Lol yeah, that's what I get for doing it in my head thanks for pointing it out.

ReputationRep:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    y = \mu z + \alpha

\dfrac{dy}{dz} = \mu

Split this up

Yeah I realised my mistake here thanks

ReputationRep:
    Hi, please could someone explain how to do question 8c on this paper https://8dedc505ac3fba908c50836f5905...%20Edexcel.pdf in particular how you get arc sin 3/13 as I'm not sure how this is found! Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by economicss)
    Hi, please could someone explain how to do question 8c on this paper https://8dedc505ac3fba908c50836f5905...%20Edexcel.pdf in particular how you get arc sin 3/13 as I'm not sure how this is found! Thanks
    this should help, find the angle from the origin to the point (5,12) then use the info on the diagram to find the min and max tangents

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DylanJ42)
    this should help, find the angle from the origin to the point (5,12) then use the info on the diagram to find the min and max tangents

Thank you so much!

Show that the locus of \displaystyle z=x+yi, \arg\left(\frac{z-3i}{z-5}\right)=\frac{\pi}{4}, has the cartesian equation \displaystyle (x-1)^2+(y+1)^2=17, subject to \displaystyle 5y+3x<15.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    I think this is a little bit above the syllabus, so don't worry if you don't know how to do it. Also I may have made an error.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EricPiphany)
    Show that the locus of \displaystyle z=x+yi, \arg\left(\frac{z-3i}{z-5}\right)=\frac{\pi}{4}, has the cartesian equation \displaystyle (x-1)^2+(y+1)^2=17, subject to \displaystyle 5y+3x<15.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    I think this is a little bit above the syllabus, so don't worry if you don't know how to do it. Also I may have made an error.
    Nice questions

(Original post by Joshthemathmo)
    Nice questions
    Thanks
    The question is actually in the Edexcel textbook, 3F 7 d, as a 'sketch' problem, I just decided to try it algebriacally.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EricPiphany)
    Thanks
    The question is actually in the Edexcel textbook, 3F 7 d, as a 'sketch' problem, I just decided to try it algebriacally.
    Fair enough, i haven't really thoroughly gone through the textbook questions. It's nice to see problems tackled from different positions

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: February 24, 2017
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.