Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

UK rape culture, 85,000 women,12,000 men raped every year watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Katty3)
    I have an a good knowledge of human rights, thank you. I don't see how that has anything to do with a woman choosing to not report the fact she was raped to the police.
    I'm paraphrasing but you said that a man accused of rape should be guilty until proven innocent which is contrary to article 6.

Sex may not be seen as a big deal by some, but it is seen as a big deal by many. Not everyone is comfortable with casual sex, or sex at all. That does not mean a person is repressed or illeberal.
    The two go hand in hand; if sex isn't a big deal and people shouldn't be judged for having sex whenever and with whoever they want you can't turn around and argue it's something serious when you drag the law into it. I'm not saying that it's your view, I'm speaking about society on the whole.

It is more serious than a physical assault as it is violating a person. It removes the control from a person. It violates the personal space, and it removes a person's choice.

I have a right to choose not to have sex. I don't want to have sex. Ever. That doesn't mean that you or anybody else can say that because most people want sex, and most people will have sex at some point, that it is not serious to remove the choice.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    If you're beaten up all of those things can still happen to you, that doesn't demonstrate any different between assault and sexual assault.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Underscore__)
    I'm paraphrasing but you said that a man accused of rape should be guilty until proven innocent which is contrary to article 6.

The two go hand in hand; if sex isn't a big deal and people shouldn't be judged for having sex whenever and with whoever they want you can't turn around and argue it's something serious when you drag the law into it. I'm not saying that it's your view, I'm speaking about society on the whole.

If you're beaten up all of those things can still happen to you, that doesn't demonstrate any different between assault and sexual assault.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    My view is that if a victim reports a rape, then that is recorded as a rape. Just as a burglary is recorded as a burglary even if nothing happens in court. A trial is to determine if a person committed the offence in question. It is not to determine whether or not the crime actually happened. Of course nobody should be imprisoned and punished until they have been found guilty.

Sex may not be seen as a big deal for you, but for some it is. That is a personal belief and feeling. It is serious because sex is inextricably personal. Just because you believe that it is not a big deal, doesn't mean that it isn't.

Rape is a more serious crime because it is intimate. It removes choice from a person. It can leave a person feeling dirty because they were used. It can give a person horrible diseases, a risk that that individual did not choose to take. Rape can also lead to pregnancy. This then causes a woman to have to make a heartbreaking decision about abortion, adoption or keeping and raising a child created by such a vile act.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Well, if we redrafted rape legislation to make sure that any non-consensual sex is not rape, I'm pretty sure rape cases would plummet to 0.

ReputationRep:
    Are these ***** men that get raped every year

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by slade p)
    Approximately 85,000 women and 12,000 men are raped in England and Wales alone every year; that's roughly 11 rapes (of adults alone) every hour

Nearly half a million adults are sexually assaulted in England and Wales each year 1 in 5 women aged 16 - 59 has experienced some form of sexual violence since the age of 16

Only around 15% of those who experience sexual violence choose to report to the police

Approximately 90% of those who are raped know the perpetrator prior to the offence

http://rapecrisis.org.uk/statistics.php

Why is rape and sexual assaults rampant in the u.k?

Also why is this not being adressed properly? Media and organisations are not highlighting it or doing anything much to tackle these shockingly high amounts of rape and sexual assaults. No one in UK protests about it which shows they are totally fine with it.

Is it because it's so normal that it's just how things are and that its just part of British culture?

No wonder that women in the u.k are petrified to walk alone at night.

https://youtu.be/25-G75Lz5x0
    Claim to be raped

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    My view is that if a victim reports a rape, then that is recorded as a rape. Just as a burglary is recorded as a burglary even if nothing happens in court. A trial is to determine if a person committed the offence in question. It is not to determine whether or not the crime actually happened. Of course nobody should be imprisoned and punished until they have been found guilty.
    The difference is, with burglary the police can come to your house and see that you were burgled. With rape it's a lot more complicated because it comes down to what the defendant reasonably believed

Sex may not be seen as a big deal for you, but for some it is. That is a personal belief and feeling. It is serious because sex is inextricably personal. Just because you believe that it is not a big deal, doesn't mean that it isn't.
    I didn't express my own feeling on it either way, I said that society is moving toward this notion of 'sex isn't a big deal'.

Rape is a more serious crime because it is intimate. It removes choice from a person. It can leave a person feeling dirty because they were used. It can give a person horrible diseases, a risk that that individual did not choose to take. Rape can also lead to pregnancy. This then causes a woman to have to make a heartbreaking decision about abortion, adoption or keeping and raising a child created by such a vile act.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    You're still not explaining any real justification for why it's more serious; being stabbed can do almost all of those things. This is sidetracking from my original point; the sexual liberation that has taken place over the last few decades is undeniable but despite this sex remains a big deal when feminists want it to be

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.