The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

The idea that the bikini is just as much a form of oppression as the burqa is crap

Scroll to see replies

Reply 160
Me too, but hearing about all the veiled women getting terrorised and spat on, on the streets makes me kinda scared. When the society becomes more tolerant...
Reply 161
Guys, stop debating senselessly with mindless fools. Fallout 4 is out. Play it wearing a bikini, or a burka, or butt naked, is all the same.
Reply 162
Original post by Ammat
Me too, but hearing about all the veiled women getting terrorised and spat on, on the streets makes me kinda scared. When the society becomes more tolerant...
I see Muslim women in a variety of religiously inspired coverings on an almost daily basis, and have done for many years.
I have never seen this happen. Not once.
(Not saying it never happens anywhere, but you make it sound like it's as commonplace as people using their phone)
Original post by Hasan_Ahmed
Even the beard and headscarf are only recommended.

A girl on my course has both. I guess the religion frowns upon tweezers.
Reply 164
Original post by MJlover
I'd love to wear the burqa someday

Why not today?
Original post by Howard
Why not today?

I can wear it when I feel most comfortable. Maybe losing weight would help. But would angry non-muslims like yourself stop making me feel uncomfortable and not give me vicious stares and act inappropriately for wearing one? I don't even wear a niqab now and thats what I get
Reply 166
Original post by MJlover
I can wear it when I feel most comfortable. Maybe losing weight would help. But would angry non-muslims like yourself stop making me feel uncomfortable and not give me vicious stares and act inappropriately for wearing one? I don't even wear a niqab now and thats what I get

Lose some weight and you'll feel better about yourself.
Original post by MJlover

Just go for it if you really want to. The majority will always disagree anyway. This is one of those times where things aren't gonna get any better so you may as well stop giving a frig and be happy.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 168
Original post by teenhorrorstory
Yeh

Good post, no you don't get women or men walking down the street in a bikini or brief swimming trunks, those are only meant for the beach, it would be strange if you were doing your shopping and there was a women in a bikini or a man in swimming trunks at the checkout, no way would that happen.
I am a 'hot blooded' male and I do love to see the ladies in a bikini, I am sure if I was a women I would love to see a man on the beach with the briefest of swimming trunks.
As long as you're not hurting anyone then whatever. It's your life and you're making yourself happy by doing something that makes you comfortable.
Original post by Rainbow Student
Oh that's true, but that's a problem if anyone thinks that such a woman is a whore.
It's also a problem if anyone thinks there's something wrong with being a "whore".
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by johnny b
It's also a problem if anyone thinks there's something wrong with being a "whore".

That is very true
Original post by MJlover

Why would a young person who has a choice want to wear a burkha?
To hell with the "anti-sexualisation" movement. Bloody puritans!
Original post by johnny b
To hell with the "anti-sexualisation" movement. Bloody puritans!

What's wrong with anti sexualisation?
Original post by hoping4Astars
What's wrong with anti sexualisation?
It's miserable and drab. Prudishness masquerading as politics.
Reply 176
I am intrigued. Please do elaborate.
Original post by KingBradly
Many of you have probably seen this image:

Whenever I see it posted online it usually gets many responses like "omg so true wow xddd". It is usually of that kind of caliber anyway.

But the idea that the bikini is just as much a form of oppression as the burqa, niqab, hijab, or any kind of Islamic veil, is totally ill-thought out rubbish. It's also the kind of moral relativist trite that has really doesn't deserve any consideration of credibility.

First of all, women generally wear bikinis when they're at the beach, swimming, or sunbathing. They don't really walk around the streets in them. The bikini is perfectly suited for swimming and enjoying the sun's rays. Men also wear very scant clothing for the situations women wear bikinis. You'd very much struggle to do any of these activities in any form of Islamic veil. It stops women from being able to enjoy them.

Here is a little test that proves that Islamic veils are a form of patriarchal oppression on women, while bikinis aren't: If men didn't exist, would women wear burqas at the beach or when swimming? Is the burqa practical in the situations where a bikini is generally worn? Because, I reckon that if men didn't exist, women wouldn't be wearing veils on the beach or while swimming. They would be wearing very little, if anything, as clothes are not practical for these activities.

Futhermore, the Byzantines invented the veil as way of stopping other men from stealing or "enjoying" their women. They viewed women as chattel, and the veil was used to make it easier to keep them as property. Many Islamic cultures embraced this and Islam helped to keep this tradition going as it became considered part of the religion. The veil is a symbol of oppression just as much as the shackle and chains.

On the other hand, the bikini or any skimpy clothing that women wear certainly doesn't exist to help men keep women as their property. The female form is often very beautiful, and skimpy clothing is a way for women (who are willing and enjoy such attention) to celebrate their beauty. To call this "oppression" is utterly idiotic. It is not showing them as property, and it is not showing them as nothing more than sex objects any more than wearing Adidas clothing is showing you as nothing more than as an advert for Adidas.

The veil also objectifies women far more than the bikini. The term "objectify" is usually used in a way that is totally hyperbolic. The idea that if a woman wears a bikini he see's her as an object is just disingenuous. A man finding a woman physically attractive is not the same thing as him seeing her as an object. A man can enjoy looking at a woman while at the same time understanding that she's a human being. The bikini is also worn by a woman on her own terms.

On the other hand, many women who wear the veil are forced to. The idea that it is worn just "because it's their faith" is also just totally disingenuous. Religions and their customs don't exist in a vacuum. There are reasons why the veil came into use, and those reasons include that the women are literally seen as sex objects, and any part of flesh on show is thought of as indecent because the woman's body is considered as nothing more than an object of lust. The women's body is essentially seen as something sordid and inappropriate. It is not the men leering at a women's body that are the problem, it is the body itself which is responsible for the lewdness.

I have also often heard Muslims say that the reason Muslim women wear veils is because the men view them as "jewels". This is actual, literal objectification. They are viewing women as commodities that are only valued for their aesthetics.

So no, the bikini is not in any sense comparable to the burqa. Goodbye.

Your opinions are stupid.
Goodbye.
Original post by Alisa59
Your opinions are stupid.
Goodbye.

Wow, that's a nice rebuttal. I'm sure so many people will choose to follow the opinion he attempts to refute. Seriously, you might have actually better promoted your own opinions by keeping silent.
Am I the only one that got from the original that it is the burqa that is objectifying women? Because wouldn't that be contradictory to state so?

Arguing that it is the burqa which symbolises the woman's body and not the bikini is totally the wrong way round?

Latest

Trending

Trending