Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Any 2016 biology applicants here? (:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BoyWithTheThorn)
    Thanks

Think it took a few weeks for Hull to get back to me, so again no need to worry yet! Not sure if you've noticed but the course description for English on the uni website has changed recently, I prefer the new one though as I wasn't looking forward to Medieval Literature in the first year tbh! Also think Hull will be a great place for English will all the City of Culture events happening next year and all.
    I'm at Hull doing English now. Trust me when I say the English Department doesn't do anything. I thought with the way they push the whole Larkin thing it'd be a really creative dept with loads of literary events all year. I can only think of 3 throughout this whole academic year. Shakespeare's anniversary was a non-event, just a few lectures :/ And they aren't really involved with City of Culture aside from pestering students to be volunteers/ushers working with Hull City Council. Don't mean to burst your bubble because I remember how excited I was but I'd also have liked to know the truth. The English Dept is sh*t.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Omgwhyyy)
    I'm at Hull doing English now. Trust me when I say the English Department doesn't do anything. I thought with the way they push the whole Larkin thing it'd be a really creative dept with loads of literary events all year. I can only think of 3 throughout this whole academic year. Shakespeare's anniversary was a non-event, just a few lectures :/ And they aren't really involved with City of Culture aside from pestering students to be volunteers/ushers working with Hull City Council. Don't mean to burst your bubble because I remember how excited I was but I'd also have liked to know the truth. The English Dept is sh*t.
    Thanks for telling me this, I'm sorry to hear that the English Dept isn't very good. I you don't mind me asking, how have the found the course itself with things such as module content and the work load? Is it still an interesting course to study overall? Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BoyWithTheThorn)
    Thanks for telling me this, I'm sorry to hear that the English Dept isn't very good. I you don't mind me asking, how have the found the course itself with things such as module content and the work load? Is it still an interesting course to study overall? Thanks
    The modules are really interesting and quite varied. Although there are some compulsory modules that I'd prefer didn't exist! To be honest I struggled with the workload. Various assignments are due at the same time, you need to keep up with the seminar 'homework' as well as being on top of lectures. The reading is quite ridiculous as there are about 10 books on each module but you essentially end up only needing 3 - 1 for an essay and two for the exam. But with all that said, I do appreciate the fast pace as it prepares you for the rest of your degree!!

ReputationRep:
    Reckitt Hall- RECKTC25A?? Anyone?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tj146517)
    I quite like the idea of the lawns bungalows but i cant find much information or any pictures of what there like
    Hey,I'm one of the current occupants of one of the Lawns bungalows, so I can tell you about my experience. Bearing in mind everyone's will be different and my account doesn't necessarily have any bearing on my five roommates' or indeed the other folks in Bungalows 2 & 3. Nevertheless, here's a few of my impressions. I can post photos later if anyone wants them. I'm 22 (moved in at 21), first time living on my own, studying Drama and Theatre Practice.

The best way to sum up my experience in Bungalow One is to weigh it up with overheard accounts and outside impressions of living in the blocks. If you're the type of person who likes a quiet evening, the bungalows could definitely be for you. When you apply for accommodation you're given a quick personality test-type thing which I think is probably instrumental in your placement. My answers were all things like I like it quiet, not much of a party animal, that sort of thing. The other guys in the bungalow are absolutely the same, if not more so than myself, with the exception of the two girls here (one of whom actually moved over into Morgan after a couple of weeks after realising it was way more quiet over here than she'd expected, but she is actually out most nights and wasn't really a 'bungalow person' per se) but you find that people go over to the blocks or to Ferens to find parties rather than bringing them here. This is probably largely because there's not a proper communal area in here save for the kitchen and a tiny space outside three of the room, which realistically isn't big enough for more than three or four people to hang out in, the fact that only one chair is supplied notwithstanding.

By all accounts, kitchen and food-related issues can arise in the blocks. In certain cases it's apparently a bit of a free-for-all. It's not impossible that you might be able to establish rules and respect for one another going in, of course, but with the sheer amount of people sharing a building it can be more difficult to keep on top of things. One hears lots of stories of people using the kitchens from other floors of blocks if they haven't got a particular pan, for example, and leaving it unwashed. At its worst, food has been known to disappear from the communal fridges and freezers, which can be a real pain. Unwashed stuff becomes a problem, though, because the cleaners will actually confiscate anything that remains unwashed for too long, and in certain cases someone else might have used your stuff without your knowledge, and that can be confiscated too. The key to combating this is obviously having the respect for one another that it either won't happen in the first place or that you have the confidence to speak up when issues arise.

That's not to say the same thing doesn't happen in the bungalows. Just one person in my bungalow doesn't own cutlery or plates so will use everyone else's and leave them either unwashed or, worse, locked in his room. In worse cases he's even been known to eat our food which he always replaces but never tells us or asks in the first place. This often means that you go to cook a pizza etc. to find it's not there, and while you know it'll be replaced later, it doesn't solve the issue of what you'll have for tea that night. Just one person out of six makes it difficult for all of us, but the mistake we made was not bringing it up straight away, because for the rest of the year he knew he'd get away with it.

The genius of the bungalows is that they're situated directly behind the blocks, which means that no one actually knows they're here but you're close enough to the blocks that if you have friends over there it's super easy to join your friends' parties and then walk away to your quiet bungalow when it gets later in the night. Plus there's the bar, which is pretty awesome, so there's a good place to go and hang out with your fellow bungalow residents and friends in the blocks. The overwhelming impression of the blocks is that a quiet night is sometimes difficult to come by in there, with so many people to a block (roughly eight people to a floor and three floors per block) it's inevitable that there's usually something going on, but it means that making friends and being involved in nights out etc. is also unavoidable, so being sociable and having a good time becomes really easy.

All in all it's definitely a pros and cons situation. It's great to have a good night's sleep more or less guaranteed in the bungalows, but with a considerably smaller group of people and lack of a proper communal area it can be more difficult to be sociable. If you're out all the time at fresher's week, however, and make friends on your course, getting out to Welly, Asylum and Piper etc. shouldn't be a problem. Despite having thought a few times that I think I'd rather be in a block for the social aspect of it, I suspect that the nights when I would be kept awake with lots of noise would outweigh the times I would be a part of it, and in that sense being in Bungalow One has undoubtedly been more worth it for myself personally. There are, by all accounts, some fun pre-drinks constantly going on in the blocks, if you fancy a night out there'll always be someone to go with and you'll instantly make a ton of friends. In Bungalow One, we have a more chilled-out, homely vibe and I'm pretty close with two of my flatmates who are really similar. We've had some awesome nights playing video games in my room, getting takeaway and drinking in the kitchen and even, since the weather's getting better, had some incredible all-night barbecues with my friends from first year in Drama also living at the Lawns. Whatever you choose, The Lawns is a brilliant first year of independence if it's your first time living on your own. With the bar available there's always an opportunity to be sociable so there's lots of fun to be had. It feels like a gamble going in but you soon settle in, and if you're lucky there's an option to move somewhere else if you change your mind, though I don't know what cost you'll incur. I wouldn't worry about that, though.

Oh, and if you do end up in the bungalows, clean up your Coke cans. Seriously. We've only just seen the last of the ants.

ReputationRep:
    @JakeMarsden21 Can you tell me how the rent is paid? I'm interested in Needler Hall but I believe that it's the same at Lawns. Are they paid weekly, monthly or fully for the whole contract?

ReputationRep:
    Anyone in Thwaite?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I'm there

ReputationRep:
    anyone going to study film studies? or anything similar? not managed to find anyone as of yet!
    (also Hull is no rougher than any other city! for anyone wondering I am local and have lived in Hull and various other cities and honestly there's not much difference)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Little_stephy92)
    anyone going to study film studies? or anything similar? not managed to find anyone as of yet!
    (also Hull is no rougher than any other city! for anyone wondering I am local and have lived in Hull and various other cities and honestly there's not much difference)
    I'm doing music and theatre (hopefully) so it's the same school is it not? School of Drama, Music and Screen?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TishoHristov)
    @JakeMarsden21 Can you tell me how the rent is paid? I'm interested in Needler Hall but I believe that it's the same at Lawns. Are they paid weekly, monthly or fully for the whole contract?
    Um, I'm pretty sure Needler is being shut down as soon as the current lot move out which will be around now. It's being replaced by the new halls that are being built on campus. To be honest, this is probably a good thing as while Needler was the cheapest, it was also by far the worst of the university owned halls. The new halls replacing it will be on the other side of the spectrum as all en suite luxury and the most expensive but if price is your issue, I don't think the Lawns is much more expensive than Needler was.

Also (assuming it hasn't changed since I was there like 4 years ago) rent is paid in 3 payments, one each semester (september - christmas - easter) that are taken straight from your account. It's designed so you get the loans come in before each payment comes out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HazMusicPanda)
    I'm doing music and theatre (hopefully) so it's the same school is it not? School of Drama, Music and Screen?
    yes I believe it is why hopefully? or is it based on your results?

ReputationRep:
    yes I believe it is why hopefully? or is it based on your results?
    Yeah results. I just need my grade 8, should hopefully find out by the end of July

ReputationRep:
    Yeah results. I just need my grade 8, should hopefully find out by the end of July
    YEY! not too long then! hope you get the results your wanting!

ReputationRep:
    YEY! not too long then! hope you get the results your wanting!
    Haha yeah thanks. What about you?

ReputationRep:
    Anyone in Thwaite?
    Yeah I am, didn't even have it as one of my three options, but I actually really like the look of it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Annemariexx)
    Yeah I am, didn't even have it as one of my three options, but I actually really like the look of it!
    It was "my" 3rd choice - I prefered Lawns but my parents made me put Thwaite saying I probably won't get it anyway :/ Well I'm starting to warm to the idea now... :P

ReputationRep:
    I've got an unconditional for BPLS and I've firmed

ReputationRep:
    It was "my" 3rd choice - I prefered Lawns but my parents made me put Thwaite saying I probably won't get it anyway :/ Well I'm starting to warm to the idea now... :P
    parents do know best mind...

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: September 14, 2016
Poll
Favourite type of bread

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.